2010 Pony League Players

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
sppawfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2010 Pony League Players

Postby sppawfan » May 16th, 2011, 11:41 am

The boilers recruit by giving these kids jackets,clothing(baseballundershirts/socksetc.), and by using the name get all the best kids hand picked around the area and the ones that aren't that good on that team(which some aren't that good), have dads that know the coaches to get these kids on this team with money or protection of some sort! These coaches go all over to scout these kids, even out of the travel distance at somerset little league games they have scouts watching in centerfield with notebooks inviting theses kids for tryouts on this team! Anyone can coach the best 16 kids in the area and win! It is the talent and sponsership name that attract these kids and their dads to this team! Money talks! This is the mccort of pony baseball.

• Advertisement
Harry Dunn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Harry Dunn » May 16th, 2011, 12:41 pm

The Boilers are doing nothing wrong just so you all know, within the rules set by the city they are doing things absolutely right. Now if you want to win in this league, the standard has been set by this Boiler franchise....You have to get a sponsor willing to buck up, get the kids jerseys hats shorts sweats ect ect....you also have to find a sponsor that will put the team up in Satellite tournaments and give them that same opportunity to advance to the Pony world series. It is not like the Johnstown City winner gets the bid to advance, the Boilers pay for that. All four Johnstown Pony team can enter a satellite qualifier. I think the biggest issue that is halting some competition is that the two best coaches in the league are on the Boiler's staff. Say if Pfeil or Day left the team they would be able top attract equal talent. It wasn't so long ago Pfeil was the coach with the Ray's Nurseries franchise, and while they were still behind the Boilers they were a team that could compete with and beat on occasions. So from the perspective of all parties (Boilers, the other teams, and player/parents) The Boilers do in fatc get the best players, but within the guidelines of the rules. Maybe the league should opt for a Draft, and if Day and Pfeil want to take an All Star team to Washington, PA to lose to Chinese Taipei than so be it. They can do that with the LLWS format and just have an All Star represent the Johnstown area. Because as it stands now it would be like Ferndale Little League picking the 14 best kids in the league placing them on 1 team, and just fill out the rest of the league. Does it suck for everyone else? Yes. But The City needs to do something, because if I am coach for a team like the Boilers, Why would I not get the 14 best players if I could?

say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby say_oww » May 17th, 2011, 10:17 am

If that is really what goes on, then what is the point??? Little League and Pony League baseball is designed to be the place where kids learn the game of baseball. What are kids learning by loading up their team and clobbering the other teams in the league? And what are the coaches getting out of all of this? Is this some sort of ego trip against a certain team or sponsor? If they are truly concerned with teaching young kids, shouldn't they be working with the league to make it better? If they just like to recruit and win, why aren't they involved in the AAABA League. I thought that is what that league was all about. Pony League is where kids are supposed to learn the game as it is played at larger distances, which coincides with their bodies going through periods of growth and change. Sounds like this league is nothing more than non-sanctioned Little League on steroids. But for what purpose? Do they have kids on this team?

Harry Dunn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Harry Dunn » May 17th, 2011, 9:40 pm

The league is a joke, city-wide tryouts, than a draft is how it has to be.

But in defense of Day and Pfeil, they are the best coaches in the league hands down and their kids do get a lot out of playing for them. Just the sheer dominance is what bothers people.

youhavenoidea
Freshman
Freshman

Postby youhavenoidea » June 18th, 2011, 4:28 am

DaisyMae, I'll tell you what those kids from Pinnacle learned that day from the Boilers. Its called make the routine plays and get the simple outs. Pinnacle committed about 10 errors that day and if my memory serves me well they dropped 4-5 simple fly balls.

youhavenoidea
Freshman
Freshman

Postby youhavenoidea » June 18th, 2011, 4:52 am

sppawfan wrote:The boilers recruit by giving these kids jackets,clothing(baseballundershirts/socksetc.), and by using the name get all the best kids hand picked around the area and the ones that aren't that good on that team(which some aren't that good), have dads that know the coaches to get these kids on this team with money or protection of some sort! These coaches go all over to scout these kids, even out of the travel distance at somerset little league games they have scouts watching in centerfield with notebooks inviting theses kids for tryouts on this team! Anyone can coach the best 16 kids in the area and win! It is the talent and sponsership name that attract these kids and their dads to this team! Money talks! This is the mccort of pony baseball.

Really? Are you kidding me? Have you been to a boilers game? Have you ever seen all their players wearing jackets that say Boilers? No, because they are not issued Jackets. These kids appear to be issued hats, jerseys, pants, belts, socks, and undershirts, as are most City teams. Look closely, the two teams with issued jackets from their sponsors appear to be Moxham PNA and 1st Summit Bank. I forgot how wealthy of a background someone like Jerrell Thorton comes from too. This isnt the Highland Park Barefoot League where you pay $75.00 to compete in a t-shirt that say's Stem's Cloverleaf, Anne's Pizza, or Franks Hen House on the back and you get to keep it. Another point I'd like to make about your comment. Austin Urban - a Boiler, his younger tried out for the team and did not make it. Sounds like its real chummy with the coaches and parents. I believe the same thing happened this year with the Leech brothers from McCort. I have seen these coaches out at tournaments like CV, ETJ, Arbutus. Now Mr. Southpaw, think about kid, lets say your buying a car, wouldnt you do some background research before purchasing that car. I mean I would and have. The Boilers coaching staff are doing the same thing here, a little research prior to tryouts. Often times you hear that quote "how much can a coach see in a 2 hour tryout". I believe the coaches of this team are doing a service to all kids by going out and watching them play prior to the tryouts. I also know for a fact that this team has open tryouts for any kid who wishes to tryout for the team. Seriously, you need a clue too, go down and catch a game! The Boilers do not have all the best players in the league. In fact, this years team is small and runty as compared to teams in the past. Seriously, go down to Roxbury Park and see, admission is free so what do you got to lose? Hell go to Tony's, get yourself a sub, and enjoy yourself. As far as being the McCort of the Pony League are you serious? That comment makes little to no sense. Its a competitive league and NO DRAFT. Its not like Moxham PNA kids live simply in Westmont, 1st Summit Kids in Richland. Every single team has players on it from districts from within the city rules.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » June 19th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Just wondering: If Moxham PNA is all Westmont kids, why isn't it called Westmont PNA? Or some other sponsor from Westmont. I would think a majority of kids on any team, any league, should be representative of the immediate area of the sponsor. Or am I wrong, and these teams are all "melting pots" with kids from all over? And, if that is true, why isn't there an open draft since the teams aren't then representing any local interest? I'm not trying to pi## in anyone's cornflakes here, just trying to understand the parameters.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Harry Dunn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Harry Dunn » June 19th, 2011, 1:36 pm

There are no regional teams at all. And there isn't a Westmont Polish National Alliance that I'm aware of.

youhavenoidea
Freshman
Freshman

Postby youhavenoidea » June 19th, 2011, 3:29 pm

The rules of the league govern that any team can have a kid play for them as long as they live in certain school districts. I believe all school districts in Cambria County are fair game, as well as districts such as Windber, Township, Ligonier Valley, United, Shankesville, and North Star. I am probably missing a few. The Johnstown Baseball Leagues have been run like this since at least 1970's. This has been the same format for decades now. Its not like this has been a "new" creation.
Here is the sad point in all this discussion. We have a team that has represented the Johnstown Pony League, with kids from various districts and people want to bad mouth them, make up rumors, and have a league that provides every kid with an AYSO feeling and trophy. I mean if your bitter, do something about it. Get a sponsor, recruit some players, and try to compete with best.
Without a doubt the Highland League is a joke. Kids in both the pony and colt have "must play" rules. Seriously, as a parent if a saw a kid who did not come to practices, and only come to games when they felt like it, Id be upset. I have been up to the league on days where teams did not have enough players because kids were out doing something else. They then call up 12 year old Little Leaguer's to play. Drafts are for Little League. Ponder this question, you have one of the Top Little League players and you enroll them into a draft. Chicken Charlie wants to be the head coach. Your kid gets drafted by Chicken Charlie. Is your kid learning the game or are they going basically lose 2 of the most critical years of the baseball careers? You decide.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » June 19th, 2011, 7:00 pm

You make some good points, and as I really don't follow the kids much till they hit JV / varsity, I was only asking for some insight. Thank you; however, was it necessary to use Chicken Charlie Johnson to make your point? Low blow. We all have our positions in life and can't control our upbringing/ misfortunes. The old saying applies: "There but for the grace of GOD go I ".
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Return to “Baseball”