2010 Pony League Players

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2010 Pony League Players

Postby say_oww » August 22nd, 2017, 12:24 pm

In my day it was more impressive to play up rather than to play "down" and dominate. 14 and 15 year old kids proving they can handle legion ball will always be more impressive than those same kids beating up on 13 yr olds. My how times have changed!!!

• Advertisement
ERAChamp
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ERAChamp » August 22nd, 2017, 12:37 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately a lot of these kids are playing down with kids they SHOULD dominate. That's why I think the LL age guidelines make so much sense. Hopefully the PONY organization agrees!!

say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby say_oww » August 22nd, 2017, 2:19 pm

Unfortunately in terms of an age cutoff its an issue with no right answer.  Kids with spring birthdays are either too young or too old.  Would be the same thing for kids with fall birthdays if football followed the same logic.  In high school they go by school grade so that would make the most sense.  However, since travel ball is all about age, then I imagine all non school sports will keep gerrymandering the age guidelines every few years.  Outlaw loaded bats and then age wouldn't be a big deal... LOL

ERAChamp
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ERAChamp » August 22nd, 2017, 2:47 pm

Mostly agree with the grade logic - play with the grade that you are in, but unfortunately you run into the case of parents holding kids back a grade specifically for sports - very true & very sad. That's why the age cutoff for league baseball is good, it doesn't matter what grade you are in, just how old you are. The older, bigger kids that pitch have a very real advantage in LL and PONY ball.

Also, the powers that be must be listening to you - loaded bats are being phased out in 2018. LL & PONY will have a brand new bat rules to get rid of hot bats, similar to BBCOR for high schools, and COLT already uses wooden bats.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » August 22nd, 2017, 2:57 pm

After watching the home team score all of four runs in three games without a hit during the AAABA, I don't see a good reason to ban loaded bats in the lower levels.  In my day the cutoff date for birthdays was July 31.  Of course the school cutoff date was January 31.  Roughly half your 14 year olds were a grade ahead of the other half.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » August 22nd, 2017, 5:37 pm

7 yr. old thread.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Return to “Baseball”