HS Basketball Scores 2/15-2/20

Hardwood chatter
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: HS Basketball Scores 2/15-2/20

Postby footballfan1 » February 16th, 2016, 9:33 am

I am in no way stating the ck girls lost because of officiating.  I just feel some costly calls went against ck at the wrong times. Easy for me to sit there and say stuff about the calls as officials are doing the best job they can and have to make quick decisions.  However, I think we all as fans can look back at some games we saw officiated and just thought hmmmm or huh???

That guard who made the winning shot for pm was a really good player.  Hope they beat bc in round two.  
Last edited by footballfan1 on February 16th, 2016, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement
D6sports101
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby D6sports101 » February 16th, 2016, 9:33 am

Just something to keep in the back of your mind. BG owns a win versus AAAA Altoona and let one against Somerset get away from them on Friday. I think they will be ready for HC

Erving6
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Erving6 » February 16th, 2016, 10:06 am

While I'm no prophet, I wouldn't call any team the darlings of District 6. Football has nothing to do with basketball, other than how the schedule can overlap. Seems to me plenty of people can't stand BG, BM & BC too for obvious reasons. BG does have 8 losses with 2 being to Somerset who is at least the AAA co-favorite, 2 to other AAA schools , 1 to BA the #1 AA seed, and the rest to teams all seeded in the upper half of the AA bracket) so while they may indeed be vulnerable, the competition they've played has at least something to do with it when it pertains to their record and how they will fare in A. BC once won a A title with something like 12 losses and their schedule was at least a part of that. I would guess that any D6 A team would get some losses playing in the LHAC and Altoona, BA, and Somerset again out of the league.

I haven't seen Ferndale or HC but their records speak for themselves. However, if either team played BG's schedule I would guess both of their records would have taken some hits. BC is a good team who just played Hollidaysburg to a three point game on the road and they also have 7 losses playing a similar schedule. I have no idea if BG will defeat either Ferndale or HC, I do know they have some quality wins like Altoona, BC twice, MV, and CC twice so I think it's premature to write them off, because of the difficulty of their schedule. If anyone thinks those potential games aren't going to be close I would have to disagree. BG has played in a bunch of tight games, both wins and losses, and I'm sure that will help them in the 4th quarter of a playoff game despite the fact they are basically playing all underclassmen.

In my opinion there are no "great" teams in A this year, especially when you compare them to other teams in A around the state. Other than maybe HC/Portage and BC/MV I think the games are going to get a lot tighter from here on out which makes it fun. I'm looking forward to Wednesday night, it should be one heckuva game.

theprophet
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby theprophet » February 16th, 2016, 1:26 pm

I guess I would ask just because your AAA or AAAA does that make you a good team.  Beating a 7 win Altoona team doesn't jump off the page to me as a big win this year.  I guess outside of beating BC in controversial fashion this year what was a big win for them?  They lost against Richland, WESTMONT, Somerset, McCort, Johnstown.  I don't care if you played them you have to win some of those games.  You don't win awards for teams you play but teams you beat.  Homer Center and BC beat some of these teams.  I got Homer

HCFireworks14
Freshman
Freshman

Postby HCFireworks14 » February 16th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Question. Why does Homer Center have to drive and hour and a half to Hollidaysburg as the number 1 seed? Practically a home game for Portage. I've heard IUP is way too expensive which is awful on IUP's part to not have a better relationship with the county schools. The field house was amazing for the D6 championship game in 09, but this game shouldn't be half way to Harrisburg. 

west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby west33 » February 16th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Any team can beat any team on any given night. I think BG will beat Ferndale. Bg is well coached and they have a great athletic football team trying to play basketball and they are quick and aggressive.I can see chadbourn all over hinton with man help all night forcing the other kids to beat them. Chadbourn is quicker and stronger than hinton and will cause problems for him. And by doing that you beat ferndale because Ray scored almost every point vs a good shanksville team. Bg will force the other ferndale kids to beat them and bg is deeper and more athletic and their other kids will offset ray ray and team. Trybus gets hot, it is over real quick. But bg is just a bunch of football players that are quick, athletic, and strong and they can surprise teams. They have trouble closing out games in the 4th quarter though. Didn't see homer play, so I can't say the outcome of that game.

HSFootball88
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby HSFootball88 » February 16th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Let's not forget what happened last year with HC before we start penciling them into the next round, like many of you have said regarding BG, any given night...

west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby west33 » February 16th, 2016, 2:32 pm

I didn't see them play! But saw bg and they are tough and scrappy kids. They get hot with the 3 ball, they are tough to beat. And they are athletic. Well coached. It seemed the 4th quarter did them in this year in a lot of games. They need to find a way to close out games.

Erving6
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Erving6 » February 16th, 2016, 2:35 pm

First off, I said HC may beat BG IF they play and in fact at 23-0 they should be a heavy favorite. My point was that their record wouldn't look the same if they played BG's schedule. Also, Altoona has 9 wins including beating State College and some other good teams and how was either BG win over BC controversial? I saw the games and there was no controversy in either of them. Hey, I get it you like HC in the game and apparently disregard anything BG has done, If they both win their quarterfinal games it should be a great matchup. I'll be there for sure and I only hope BG can hang around and make it interesting.

Erving6
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Erving6 » February 16th, 2016, 2:42 pm

I agree with West33 regarding BG's fourth quarter struggles especially late in the year when they led or were tied with Johnstown, BA, and Somerset late. They did beat BC, Altoona, and CC in close 4th quarter games so I'd say they are inconsistent for sure. That may be due to the fact they are playing 8-9 underclassmen in their rotation. Not sure if that's the reason but it might help explain it.

Return to “Basketball”