Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Hardwood chatter
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 2099
Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 5:58 pm
Reputation: 308
Contact:

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby knowitall » May 2nd, 2018, 10:02 am

Tigersharks wrote:
Who votes on the teams?  Do they really see all these kids play?  


I can't imagine there is anyone out there who has seen all these kids play.



  • Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 9734
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 748

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 2nd, 2018, 10:22 am

Local newspapers nominate players from their own coverage area and people across the state take a vote.  The guy that runs the weekly state rankings on City of Basketball Love, Michael Bullock, is the organizer of the whole process.  
Trust me, nobody sees every player, it’s likely not possible.  But making it deeper in the playoffs helps your cause.  Being a college recruit helps. Stats help. A few different things go into it.  

Manfred was wondering about Ryan Richardson versus Collin Instone for instance.  Well one they are in two different classes so it’s not like Instone stole Richardson spot.  But nobody outside of the Tribune Democrat and Altoona Mirror knows who Richardson is.  He was nominated.  Just didn’t get the votes.   Instone was on a team that made it to the state championship.   He didn’t get credit for doing that alone.  What happened was they beat teams from Pittsburgh, Erie, and Lancaster.  And lost to a team from Philadelphia.  People from all over the state saw him play.  So when the ballot came out, that was a name they recognized.  

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 9734
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 748

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 2nd, 2018, 10:24 am

Tigersharks wrote:Sometimes I wonder who votes in these.  Not that I disagree with any but it seems like they only post ppg.  I know that is important but what about rebounds, assist and defense/steals.  A lot of these players scored a lot but it may have been because their teammates got the rebound or set a screen...made a nice pass.  Also, what about those kids who play on a terrible team, I have seen a lot of good players struggle because they have no help on the court.  

Who votes on the teams?  Do they really see all these kids play?  Or it is just who you know and if your team makes a deep playoff run?  


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only post points per game, but when nominating a player you list every stat you can to make the cause for the kid you are nominating. So the voters see more then PPG.  They see rebounds, steals, assists, if they are going to play college, how far their team went ect.

Tigersharks
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 30
Joined: April 19th, 2018, 12:14 pm
Reputation: 2

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Tigersharks » May 2nd, 2018, 10:47 am

Thanks everyone. I guess I am not an all star team person. I never get into a debate about the greatest QB or NBA player of all time debate. Why? Because I believe that there are several factors that go into a players performance. From teammates, teams the played during their career and how games are called/officiated and coached.

I enjoy seeing the kids from our area but I have seen several players from our area who play at small school and don’t really get the publicity. Maybe that is where my perspective comes from.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 9734
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 748

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 2nd, 2018, 11:18 am

All things considered, I think the area did very well and was represented about as well as you could hope for.

User avatar
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 1442
Joined: December 2nd, 2003, 8:17 pm
Reputation: 24
Location: at wrestling matches
Contact:

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Wrasslerfan » May 2nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

Tigersharks wrote:Thanks everyone.  I guess I am not an all star team person.  I never get into a debate about the greatest QB or NBA player of all time debate.  Why?  Because I believe that there are several factors that go into a players performance.  From teammates, teams the played during their career and how games are called/officiated and coached.  

I enjoy seeing the kids from our area but I have seen several players from our area who play at small school and don’t really get the publicity.  Maybe that is where my perspective comes from.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could you explain your factors a little clearer to everyone
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable

DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 302
Joined: August 9th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Reputation: 110

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby DCor50 » May 2nd, 2018, 11:58 pm

Not sure how Burke from Richland could win COY? They didn’t win any championships. No LHAC, no D6-AAA and no State title. Hmmmm....

PCmor
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 34
Joined: June 3rd, 2005, 2:10 pm
Reputation: 7
Contact:

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby PCmor » May 3rd, 2018, 3:56 am

Crimson's Ghost beat me to it with answering some of the questions about how the process works. Voters get a lot more than scoring average. They are provided full bios that include a wide variety of stats as well as notes than include colleges that offered scholarships, etc. And with about 600 schools, I don't know how anyone could see everyone.
One thing over which there is some confusion ... the Associated Press no longer is involved with the teams in any respect. It is the PA Sports Writers team, and that means print media are involved whether they are part of the AP or not (e.g. the Allentown Call).

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 4772
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm
Reputation: 216

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Manfred » May 3rd, 2018, 7:27 am

DCor50 wrote:Not sure how Burke from Richland could win COY?  They didn’t win any championships.  No LHAC, no D6-AAA and no State title.  Hmmmm....

Well, by extended logic, it must be because his teams played longer into the calendar year than any other team around here.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 9734
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 748

Re: Pennsylvania All-State Basketball Teams

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 3rd, 2018, 8:52 am

DCor50 wrote:Not sure how Burke from Richland could win COY?  They didn’t win any championships.  No LHAC, no D6-AAA and no State title.  Hmmmm....

He took the second place team from District 6 to the state title game.  That’s a pretty good argument to win Coach of the Year IMO. 


Return to “Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests