JV wins 46-33

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Advertisement
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA Girls Basketball State Semifinals

Postby 223113 » March 21st, 2017, 8:05 pm

Lively debate, I like it.

Forgive me if I suggest something that has already been suggested,....and shot full of holes. I'm a proponent of the All Star teams competing among themselves for a State Title.
But, that'll never happen.
What about something in the middle, a compromise, to at least acknowledge that there IS a difference. And since there are vastly more Public schools, they could get 50% representation in the Championships.

What if....

What if there were a way to have half the PIAA bracket in each Classification be filled with All Star teams (Catholics, Charters, Privates, and whatever other euphamisms they go by), and the other half of the PIAA brackets be filled by Publics?

All Finals would have the best All Star team, vs the best Public, for each Classification....

6 David vs Goliath matchups every year.....

I believe we would "need a bigger gym" for those Championship Games.

I know, I know,....never happen.

Ballislyfe
Junior
Junior

Postby Ballislyfe » March 21st, 2017, 9:46 pm

wow jun valley beat bc?? i really thought bc had their number. guess thats why you play the game!!

Ballislyfe
Junior
Junior

Postby Ballislyfe » March 21st, 2017, 9:52 pm

west shamokin lost as well. great run by those 2 district 6 teams. carroll and shamokin. and congrats and best luck to mccort and jun valley

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » March 21st, 2017, 11:49 pm

12HankQB wrote:So let me get this straight...Charter Schools have taken over, but they're no different than public schools? We can then infer that kids who have a charter school education are more athletically gifted in basketball.
And the kids on these elite teams are better off playing lesser teams than better competition, because I want to see better ball games. Not because it's easier for them to win.
Yes, mommy issues. What about the extremely talented kids who can't afford to go to the school of gifted athletes? Once again, I don't want everyone to have a trophy. I want everyone to have the same chances to earn a trophy. 

I don't think you and I are entirely on different pages here, just differ in how we look at the problem.  All I am trying to say is this whole thing extends well beyond just private /public.  Charters have taken advantage of the education system and extended that athletically, but they are an extension of the school districts that fund them, that's a fact.  Lincoln Park is a performing arts school.  I'm not dumb enough to truly believe those kids will pursue the fine arts lol.  I think the charter school issue must first be addressed before looking private/public.  Maybe charters can't house athletics?  Kids can attend these schools within their district but they have to play for their zoned high school athletically?  This would at least discourage the building of super teams within them.  Then all you need is for the piaa and districts to actually enforce recruiting rules in place.  If mom and dad want their kid to play somewhere else make them change residency.  The choice to attend private school is something that just can't be fought.  Financially I get it not everyone can afford it, but there isn't any rule/law that prohibits that choice and there shouldn't be.  I do think a classification rule could be applied as long as it's done equally across the board. If some public school establishes dominance over a period of time they too should be subject to classification rules.  Especially since public schools could use charters to their advantage if a rule I mentioned above was implemented.  I just don't want kids punished for their parents motives, that's all.  

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » March 22nd, 2017, 7:51 am

223113 wrote:Lively debate, I like it.

Forgive me if I suggest something that has already been suggested,....and shot full of holes. I'm a proponent of the All Star teams competing among themselves for a State Title.
What about something in the middle, a compromise, to at least acknowledge that there IS a difference. And since there are vastly more Public schools, they could get 50% representation in the Championships.

What if....

What if there were a way to have half the PIAA bracket in each Classification be filled with All Star teams  (Catholics, Charters, Privates, and whatever other euphamisms they go by), and the other half of the PIAA brackets be filled by Publics?

All Finals would have the best All Star team, vs the best Public, for each Classification....

You're probably too young to remember, but thats the way it used to be in the Philly area.  2 titles, public & Catholic.  Then they played each other for the 'city' title.  Then they wanted to control the whole state and Cashman & Co. let them.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 223113 » March 22nd, 2017, 10:29 am

Manfred wrote:
223113 wrote:Lively debate, I like it.

What if....

What if there were a way to have half the PIAA bracket in each Classification be filled with All Star teams  (Catholics, Charters, Privates, and whatever other euphamisms they go by), and the other half of the PIAA brackets be filled by Publics?

You're probably too young to remember, but thats the way it used to be in the Philly area.  2 titles, public & Catholic.  Then they played each other for the 'city' title.  Then they wanted to control the whole state and Cashman & Co. let them.

Thx Manfred. While I don't remember that, you did make me feel young again, for a minute, haha!

Return to “Basketball”