Classification of Private Schools

Hardwood chatter
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Classification of Private Schools

Postby Blueandwhitefan » March 23rd, 2017, 10:39 pm

abpk2903 wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Do county lines matter in school districts? I know some school districts in Westmoreland county reach into Allegheny county? Same with Blairsville-Saltsburg, it's Indiana and Weatmoreland counties. 

So why couldn't Richland, Forest Hills, Windber just be one massive school district? 

Some other examples which even include spanning over PIAA distric lines:
Claysburg-Kimmel spans over Bedford and Blair counties. Bedford is district 5, Blair is district 6
Tussey Mountain spans over Bedford, Huntingdon, and Fulton counties. Bedford and Fulton are D5, Huntingdon is D6
Fannett-Metal spans over Fulton and Franklin counties. The school actually sits in Franklin county (D3) but they compete in D5. I believe they have ran into some issues regarding hosting playoff games before because of this. 

Purchase Line is in Indiana and Clearfield counties.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 24th, 2017, 12:44 am

It seems a lot of school districts have crossover, so county lines don't matter in school districts obviously. That was kind of my point.

hornets69
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby hornets69 » March 24th, 2017, 10:45 am

i remember researching this extensively years ago.  when schools shrunk from 2000 down to 500 districts back in the 50's each borough/ township made a decision on where to attend. it was basically all or nothing for a school district. the county didn't matter  that is why you have the crossing of county lines.    if I remember right, the only township that I came across that was split between school districts was one of the mahonings or canoe twp in indiana county, where a portion of the township goes to Punxsutawney, and a portion to marion center.

Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Blueandwhitefan » March 24th, 2017, 11:59 am

hornets69 wrote:i remember researching this extensively years ago.  when schools shrunk from 2000 down to 500 districts back in the 50's each borough/ township made a decision on where to attend. it was basically all or nothing for a school district. the county didn't matter  that is why you have the crossing of county lines.    if I remember right, the only township that I came across that was split between school districts was one of the mahonings or canoe twp in indiana county, where a portion of the township goes to Punxsutawney, and a portion to marion center.

I know that split is correct. And if you walk straight out the back of Purchase Line football stadium and go half a mile or so, you are in Marion Center school district.  Aprox. 15 miles from the school???? Make a right in Kenwood and go 2 or 3 miles to Pine Flats and your 3 1/2 miles from Penns Manor. But, in PL school district. 10 or so miles from PL high school!!!! Doesn't make sense.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!

hornets69
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby hornets69 » March 24th, 2017, 12:59 pm

purchase line is one of the most screwed up ones i believe.  actually I believe the woods/gasline that border the back side of the endzone at purchase line and the baseball field is marion center school district.  some of the boroughs in purchase line school district like burnside, lajose, new Washington, glen Campbell go to purchase line I believe, but burnside township goes to harmony and banks township goes to Punxsutawney.  I believe bell township in Clearfield county borders dubois school district and Curwensville school district.also, I believe harmony has cherry tree borough in Indiana county and two townships in Clearfield county. 

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » March 24th, 2017, 11:49 pm

This is similar to when Lewistown and Indian Valley used to be different high schools, different school districts, but the schools were physically located in the same town, just opposite ends.

LoneRanger
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby LoneRanger » March 25th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Looks like the PIAA is looking into this very issue. While no one knows what this committee will propose it is at least being looked into.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/mc- ... story.html

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 25th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I think a multiplier system is going to be the way they go. Don't see an entire separation coming. But the article is correct, since the inclusion of District 12 (Catholic League and Philly Pub League) the problems have intensified, on the field of play, and in the stands. 

LoneRanger
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby LoneRanger » March 25th, 2017, 3:00 pm

I think the article spells out out pretty clear. It is all about the MONEY. Whatever brings in the most money will be the way they go.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 25th, 2017, 3:15 pm

LoneRanger wrote:I think the article spells out out pretty clear.  It is all about the MONEY.  Whatever brings in the most money will be the way they go.

True, I'm not sure what financial benefits having the Philadelphia schools are bringing. I guess there was a reason they entered in the first place back in 2007. 

Return to “Basketball”