Classification of Private Schools

Hardwood chatter
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Classification of Private Schools

Postby 12HankQB » April 24th, 2017, 11:22 am

I think this new change is great. I'm sure the numbers will be cut-down some. People can see through the bullying excuse if it is made without cause. The talented athlete is getting bullied by the weaker kids...not saying it doesn't happen, but there's going to be some far fetched cases. I agree, don't let the Urchins suffer because their parents can't make them a Skies. (Johnny Tsunami).

If only closed minds came with closed mouths

• Advertisement
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » April 24th, 2017, 8:48 pm

IF the PIAA adopts a measure similar to what the PSADA is proposing, it would obviously help rein in the worst of the abuses. I do foresee some risk that recruiting will be much more prevalent in the middle school years.

One thing that does concern me is what recourse would families have if they are simply not satisfied with what their public school district has to offer whether that be academics, extra-curricular offerings (e.g. clubs, mock trial teams), cultural fit, etc? What if you are trying to get your kid away from a bad peer group or relationship? Having a kid sit for an entire year seems harsh in that light.

I wonder how long it would take for new loopholes to develop? Probably not long.

d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby d6footballfan » April 24th, 2017, 9:40 pm

this is just a dumb proposal in so many ways. Sports participation numbers will plummet from the already anemic levels they are at today, and nut job parents will be crazier than ever in the youth sports programs getting Johnny or Jill the attention they need to get recruited before they are assigned to an average life of purgatory in their so-so public school sports program. Lazy programs and coaches are getting a pat on the back and an excuse diary for losing. The ones who pay the most out of this proposal are the athletes.

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » April 24th, 2017, 10:28 pm

d6footballfan wrote:this is just a dumb proposal in so many ways.  Sports participation numbers will plummet from the already anemic levels they are at today, and nut job parents will be crazier than ever in the youth sports programs getting Johnny or Jill the attention they need to get recruited before they are assigned to an average life of purgatory in their so-so public school sports program.  Lazy programs and coaches are getting a pat on the back and an excuse diary for losing.  The ones who pay the most out of this proposal are the athletes.

I've said the same thing over and over again and have been blasted for it every time.  The misconception is that these private schools are out there recruiting all these kids when in reality they don't have to.  Public schools are failing so badly it makes the alternative that much more attractive,  When a family doesn't want to send their kid to the POS public school they are zoned for for whatever reason they have the right to send their kid elsewhere.  Take a look at public schools like Franklin Regional, South Fayette, Pine Richland, West Allegheny, North Allegheny, etc...  they aren't losing kids. What's the difference?  They are good schools who offer great extracurricular activities.  Fix the schools and you'll fix your problem.  It's not an issue of money, private schools operate with far less than even the smallest public school in PA. 

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » April 25th, 2017, 8:18 am

CMM52 wrote:
d6footballfan wrote:this is just a dumb proposal in so many ways.  Sports participation numbers will plummet from the already anemic levels they are at today, and nut job parents will be crazier than ever in the youth sports programs getting Johnny or Jill the attention they need to get recruited before they are assigned to an average life of purgatory in their so-so public school sports program.  Lazy programs and coaches are getting a pat on the back and an excuse diary for losing.  The ones who pay the most out of this proposal are the athletes.

I've said the same thing over and over again and have been blasted for it every time.  The misconception is that these private schools are out there recruiting all these kids when in reality they don't have to.  Public schools are failing so badly it makes the alternative that much more attractive,  When a family doesn't want to send their kid to the POS public school they are zoned for for whatever reason they have the right to send their kid elsewhere.  Take a look at public schools like Franklin Regional, South Fayette, Pine Richland, West Allegheny, North Allegheny, etc...  they aren't losing kids. What's the difference?  They are good schools who offer great extracurricular activities.  Fix the schools and you'll fix your problem.  It's not an issue of money, private schools operate with far less than even the smallest public school in PA. 

Because private schools can leave kids behind. Offer specialization. I agree the public schools are a mess. This doesn't mean that private schools should play them. It's not apples to apples. Whether it be recruiting, parents, or whatever brings an entire AAU type squad to one school, it's not a fair match up. Yes a lot of times privates don't have the kids/athletes, but most find their stride. They go up and down just like the public schools but in a more dramatic fashion.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » April 25th, 2017, 8:38 am

Most of the athletes leaving public schools for private schools were thriving in public school.  The "public schools are a mess" claim is a mere excuse to cover for a transfer that was done for athletic intent.

Why aren't these Baptists and Methodists choosing to send their kids to Johnstown Christian School?
Last edited by knowitall on April 25th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DCor50 » April 25th, 2017, 8:44 am

I agree knowitall. It's definitely an excuse.

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » April 25th, 2017, 9:35 am

knowitall, I don't mean to say that a kid can't "thrive" in a poor public school, good kids are going to be good kids wherever it is they are. The home and family still remains the most important factor in the life of a child. What I mean to say is the environment, the opportunities, and the pedigree (in some circumstances) is the difference. It's not an opinion that public schools are struggling, that's a fact. Especially in counties like Cambria and Indiana were socio-economic issues continue to grow and population continues to decrease. If a family decides they do not what their kid attending a Philadelphia public school, Pittsburgh public school, or Purchase Line, Central Cambria, etc... they have the choice to send them elsewhere regardless of the reason. To say you will be punished for such a thing almost flirts with being unconstitutional. When you move from one county to the next the county you left loses your tax dollars and thus the benefits that come with it. Should they punish you for leaving? In the case of education, when it comes to public to private, the public world isn't even losing anything. If I decide to send my kids to a catholic school I still am required to pay my taxes to support the public school district even though my children will never see a dime of that money. Now you want to tack on additional penalty? Just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, there have been some crazy transfer situations that certainly need dealt with. The Harrisburg situation stands out to me as the worst, but if at the end of grade 10 someone decides they'd rather send their kid to some private school, at their own ADDITIONAL expense, that's their choice and they have a right to that. It's their money and they should be able to spend it without penalty.

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » April 25th, 2017, 10:05 am

CMM52 wrote:knowitall, I don't mean to say that a kid can't "thrive" in a poor public school, good kids are going to be good kids wherever it is they are.  The home and family still remains the most important factor in the life of a child.  What I mean to say is the environment, the opportunities, and the pedigree (in some circumstances) is the difference.  It's not an opinion that public schools are struggling, that's a fact.  Especially in counties like Cambria and Indiana were socio-economic issues continue to grow and population continues to decrease.  If a family decides they do not what their kid attending a Philadelphia public school, Pittsburgh public school, or Purchase Line, Central Cambria, etc... they have the choice to send them elsewhere regardless of the reason.  To say you will be punished for such a thing almost flirts with being unconstitutional.  When you move from one county to the next the county you left loses your tax dollars and thus the benefits that come with it.  Should they punish you for leaving?  In the case of education, when it comes to public to private, the public world isn't even losing anything.  If I decide to send my kids to a catholic school I still am required to pay my taxes to support the public school district even though my children will never see a dime of that money.  Now you want to tack on additional penalty?  Just doesn't make sense.  Don't get me wrong, there have been some crazy transfer situations that certainly need dealt with.  The Harrisburg situation stands out to me as the worst, but if at the end of grade 10 someone decides they'd rather send their kid to some private school, at their own ADDITIONAL expense, that's their choice and they have a right to that.  It's their money and they should be able to spend it without penalty.

There isn't a penalty.  They send their kid to a "better school" for a "better education."  They don't get penalized at all.  The kid is allowed to take any class they choose at the new school.  They can join whatever club or extracurricular activity, such as a mock trial team.  Heck, they can join any sport team they want as well.  However, they have to play at the JV level.  Where exactly is the penalty? 

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » April 25th, 2017, 10:11 am

CMM52, all of that is fine, but if you allow this to happen, then privates/public championships should be separate.

Return to “Basketball”