Hardwood chatter
Lionjacket
Senior
Senior

Re: Boys Basketball Pre-Season Prediction

Postby Lionjacket » November 13th, 2017, 9:29 pm

WeatPAC thoughts and predictions

North:
This is going to be a pretty evenly matched section, with North Star, Township, Ferndale, and Blacklick all able to represent their side on the new floor at UPJ

1. Ferndale - This choice is definitely not set in stone. They took a big step back in coach’s with Durham going home to Johnstown. However if Peel can keep the group together, they have the talent to make another run, as they have only lost 2-3 JV games in the last 3 years. I’ll be interested to see how their year plays out

2. Blacklick Valley - They have a very talented group of Juniors, that have had a lot of success over the years. They might be a year away from being great, but should still be good.

3. North Star - Year 2 with Schrock as coach should show some growth. This is another team with some good pieces, but can they put it together every night, only time will tell.

4. Conemaugh Township - They will still be young, but Poznanski is a very good player. If he can consistently be a difference maker, they could sneak into the top of the section.

5. Portage - They lost most of their best players, but this is a team that always seems to pull a good player from somewhere, but this still be a tough year.

6. Conemaugh Valley - They have a couple decent players, but can they consistently perform to their potential? If so, they could bump up another spot or two.

7. Windber - Another team that is going to be in rebuilding mode, as they lost their best two players from a team that struggled last year.

South: I think this section will be Shade’s to lose. They have the best player in the league in Brady Fyfe. They also have another good freshman coming through the ranks. However, this is another team that I am worried about their depth. After Shade, Rockwood and Berlin should be fighting for 2nd, and Shanksville and Turkeyfoot fighting for 4th. Meyersdale and Salisbury should round out a top heavy section

• Advertisement
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Postby SouthSide Johnny » Yesterday, 12:01 pm

WestPAC North

I think the teams to beat are Windber and Blacklick Valley.  I believe Township and North Star will be solid.  Portage, Ferndale and Conemaugh Valley will be ok.

Windber - they lose their two big guys in Cominsky and Roxby but will have a very athletic team.  Hanik, Simanski, Piscotella, Charney and Vasas are all athletic.  I believe they make a solid run at the section.  Defense was their strength last season.

Blacklick Valley - The Vikings have a solid group of players returning.  I believe they have a legitimate shot at the section.  Gdula and McEvoy are solid to go along with Frank, Simmons, Napolitano and Fleck.

Conemaugh Township - Poznanski (22.6 ppg) is a scoring machine but Township lost a lot of players to graduation.  If Foster and Leasure can pick up the difference they could be good.

North Star - Schrock and Zuchelli will be the two standouts on the Cougar squad.  Novak will contribute along with a cast returning players.  Lepley, Thropp and Daniels graduated.  Coach Schrock will have his team well prepared.

Ferndale - they lost their Coach and Chatman to Johnstown High.  The graduation of Shaffer and Thomas will hurt.  Will be a decent year but not a championship year.  Barrett and Ohler will be their two key players.

Portage - The Mustangs were wiped out by graduation.  They will have a young team in a rebuilding season.

Conemaugh Valley - Valley returns McCleester and Butts and Coach Studer returns most of last years roster.  Graduation took Kent who had some big games for the Jays.  Valley will have a decent squad.

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » Yesterday, 1:43 pm

It seems like the WestPac North is going to be pretty wide open this year.  It seems like there are some differing opinions on who will win it, so it should make for a very interesting year. 

Return to “Basketball”