Holiday Tournaments this week

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Holiday Tournaments this week

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 30th, 2017, 8:58 am

Manfred wrote:Maybe Tom Callihan will invite them next year to the proposed War Memorial Tournament.

As I understand it, the 8 team War Memorial Tournament features 4 LHAC teams, 2 WestPAC teams, and 2 Heritage teams. It's not so much a tournament as it is just two days with four games each day. No champion or anything, but I don't know if the competition will be much better. I think it's going to be a really cool event, but I'd rather see them ship in four teams from Pittsburgh or something, just for some variety. Maybe down the line that could be a thing. 

I sometimes think Holiday Tournaments sort of lock you into games you may not really want to play, I'd rather see teams use their six non-conference dates and schedule some more unique games that could benefit them down the line.  I like how Forest Hills hosted a tip-off girls tournament, and invited really good programs to ensure they'd get two quality games. 

Personally, I like when teams schedule games they know full well they could lose rather than extra wins against local teams. I think it helps good teams to play other good teams in the regular season, so it's not a shock to see that caliber of opponent in the postseason. 

• Advertisement
Hvl32
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Hvl32 » December 30th, 2017, 9:50 am

Thank you good insite. Seen Fh girls beat Berlin at upj and they look to be class of West pac  yet not sure Fh will be class of lhac 
Just always hear how good West pac Girls are  :-?

Hvl32
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Hvl32 » December 30th, 2017, 9:51 am

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
Manfred wrote:Maybe Tom Callihan will invite them next year to the proposed War Memorial Tournament.

As I understand it, the 8 team War Memorial Tournament features 4 LHAC teams, 2 WestPAC teams, and 2 Heritage teams. It's not so much a tournament as it is just two days with four games each day. No champion or anything, but I don't know if the competition will be much better. I think it's going to be a really cool event, but I'd rather see them ship in four teams from Pittsburgh or something, just for some variety. Maybe down the line that could be a thing. 

I sometimes think Holiday Tournaments sort of lock you into games you may not really want to play, I'd rather see teams use their six non-conference dates and schedule some more unique games that could benefit them down the line.  I like how Forest Hills hosted a tip-off girls tournament, and invited really good programs to ensure they'd get two quality games. 

Personally, I like when teams schedule games they know full well they could lose rather than extra wins against local teams. I think it helps good teams to play other good teams in the regular season, so it's not a shock to see that caliber of opponent in the postseason. 

Only get better playing better  
Good read 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 30th, 2017, 10:17 am

The girls teams in our area seem to be doing a better job at it than the boys.   On Tuesday, Blairsville (8-0) and Bishop Carroll (6-1) will be playing in a non-conference game, I think that'll be good for both teams. Both have pretty high aspirations for the season.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » December 30th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Hvl32 wrote:Thank you good insite. Seen Fh girls beat Berlin at upj and they look to be class of West pac  yet not sure Fh will be class of lhac 

Berlin does have a good girls team this year. North Star just recently made the finals. Berlin lost to a much larger Forest Hills team. You really going to put down an A team losing to a AAAA team? You're on a roll on here
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Baller21
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Baller21 » December 30th, 2017, 7:57 pm

West pac has been good for a while. This year is probably a down year. Berlin will be strong as will Portage. But rest is in rebuild or lacking numbers. Can’t discount whole conference based on a down year. LHAC probably strongest conference but also biggest. Top of heritage is as good as anyone but westpac is definitely 3rd of those 3 this year. Not sure how strong Altoona area conferences are but Bellwood, Juniata Valley, penns Valley are all very strong. Also D6 Girls basketball has to be about as strong as it gets in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Central boys took down Williamsburg 84-49 to win the Wburg tourney.

You play to win the game!!!

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 30th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:The girls teams in our area seem to be doing a better job at it than the boys.   On Tuesday, Blairsville (8-0) and Bishop Carroll (6-1) will be playing in a non-conference game, I think that'll be good for both teams. Both have pretty high aspirations for the season.

I agree. Central is a good example of this. Our girls went to Altoona and played Hburg and Altoona. Got a nice win over Hburg and lost to a 6A Altoona team. Their other loss this season was to a very good Blairsville team. Both of these losses will make them better down the road. The boys on the other hand have a long time tradition of playing in the Williamsburg tournament which they just won for the 7th consecutive year. I understand they are our neighbors and the whole tradition but I'm surprised they keep bringing us back. Lol. I will say the boys do a good job filling in their other non conference games against good competition (FH, Ridge, Hburg) so I guess a couple lighter opponents over the holiday break isn't too bad.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 30th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Baller21 wrote:West pac has been good for a while. This year is probably a down year. Berlin will be strong as will Portage. But rest is in rebuild or lacking numbers. Can’t discount whole conference based on a down year. LHAC probably strongest conference but also biggest. Top of heritage is as good as anyone but westpac is definitely 3rd of those 3 this year. Not sure how strong Altoona area conferences are but Bellwood, Juniata Valley, penns Valley are all very strong. Also D6 Girls basketball has to be about as strong as it gets in the state.

PV better than I expected. Was surprised by their season opening 1 point win over JV. They are 6-0 and have won the other 5 games all by 30+.

Hvl32
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Hvl32 » December 31st, 2017, 2:06 am

12HankQB wrote:
Hvl32 wrote:Thank you good insite. Seen Fh girls beat Berlin at upj and they look to be class of West pac  yet not sure Fh will be class of lhac 

Berlin does have a good girls team this year. North Star just recently made the finals. Berlin lost to a much larger Forest Hills team. You really going to put down an A team losing to a AAAA team? You're on a roll on here

Try to read didn’t put anyone down it was a conference thing girls lhac is far better every year top to bottom then West pac was just asking 

Return to “Basketball”