1-29 thru 2-3 scores, etc., etc.

Hardwood chatter
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 1-29 thru 2-3 scores, etc., etc.

Postby CCDevil2012 » February 1st, 2018, 9:12 pm

SwaggyJ23 wrote:Penns Valley 45 Tyrone 35. Yet again a Penns Valley team that likes to play catch with the ball the entire game and have the refs on there side. It’s not even a basketball game. Received my 1st ejection of my career because of how bad it was.

As much as I am pro shot clock, until the PIAA adds one this is a basketball game and game strategy. If you knew this, then you failed as a coach to come up with a game plan to beat it. I do hate stalling though, especially late in the game with several minutes to go.

• Advertisement
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » February 1st, 2018, 9:17 pm

Ranger home cookin', 63-60 over BGU. A quality win over a very good opponent, it only emphasizes why they PROBABLY should not have lost their last 2 games.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

SwaggyJ23
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby SwaggyJ23 » February 1st, 2018, 9:20 pm

CCDevil2012 wrote:
SwaggyJ23 wrote:Penns Valley 45 Tyrone 35. Yet again a Penns Valley team that likes to play catch with the ball the entire game and have the refs on there side. It’s not even a basketball game. Received my 1st ejection of my career because of how bad it was.

As much as I am pro shot clock, until the PIAA adds one this is a basketball game and game strategy. If you knew this, then you failed as a coach to come up with a game plan to beat it. I do hate stalling though, especially late in the game with several minutes to go.

Yeah I agree you have to get the lead against them early or keep it close. They hold the ball the entire game it’s not just at end. It’s hard to watch 

Joe Bivitz
Senior
Senior

Postby Joe Bivitz » February 1st, 2018, 9:31 pm

Justafanwholovessports wrote:
DragonsDoExist wrote:Bellwood's Alli Campbell hit the 1k point mark last night. Pretty impressive for a sophomore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I'm not sold on all the hype for the Campbell girl yet. I've watched some of their games and have reviewed the maxprep stats. A few games back she was shooting 2 1/2 times more than anyone else on the team. Bellwood has a capable scorer at all positions. I know that social media has changed the way things are communicated but it could too much self promotion this early in her career. I see a coach full court pressing on inferior teams, keeping her in games to get 8-10 garbage points a game. When I looked at the stats, I don't see a great three point percentage and if you take 8-10 she gets off of easy steals, not necessarily a great 2 percentage. I understand bellwood is limited in its schedule and I'm sure she has caught the eye of some of these aau summer tournaments but to me even some of them are watered-down.  That's like the juniata valley girls that she has played with, how many games over the past 5-6 do you think those girls have played together? Then you go play these travel teams that were put together at the end of the season and playing a team that has played 200-300 games together. I guess I'm trying to get other people thoughts on some of this. I have seen the Bellwood coach switch her off other teams best players because she isn't quick enough to guard them without getting into foul trouble. I just don't see the explosiveness or quickness of some other local players from the altoona, bg, or hollidaysburg teams that played at pitt, saint francis, and some of the local division one teams. There are some very good basketball players in the area, but also there are a lot of one trick ponies out there who only perform against inferior or over matched opponents. I say that not necessarily against the Campbell girl but as general statement of all the hype with the data that is now collected. Guess I'm just old school where you contest every shot, dive on the floor for every loose ball, stood in and took the charge, and made that one extra pass to get all your teammates engaged. Where you put TEAM goals above personal goals.

Dear Justafanwholovestocriticizehighschoolkids,
I was looking for you tonight at the BA girls vs Glendale game. But I didn't see anyone who resembles a turd with no life that has nothing better to do than criticize a 15 year old athlete. Nor did I see anyone that maybe has a chip on their shoulder because they think they would've made it to the big time if it weren't for that one high school coach that didn't like him and held him back. 
In case you missed it, Coach Swaney must've read your post, because the Lady Blue Devils put up 88 points without utilizing a full court press. Not even once!  
As far as her not getting her teammates involved, it was senior night. Alli and the rest of her teammates made a concentrated effort to get the ball to the only senior on the roster to make tonight special for her. All the while scoring 31 points of her own. By the way, she was 5 for 5 on three pointers. I just plugged those numbers into my calculator and it's telling me that's 100%. Oh, she did miss 2 foul shots. Maybe that could be your next criticism for why she isn't deserving of all the D1 offers she's receiving. 
If you truly are just a fan who loves sports, I recommend traveling down to Alexandria next week and catch the rematch of BA vs JV girls. There will be a ton of talent on the floor for both teams. If it's anything like the first matchup, it will be well worth the price of admission. 
Congratulations to Alli on all of her accomplishments thus far. The sky is the limit for this young lady and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for her as she makes the BA community proud.  I have 2 kids who know her fairly well. She's the sweetest of kids, comes from a great family, and will be successful both on the court and in life.  I can assure you that when she's your age, she'll have much better things to do than criticize a 15 year olds shooting percentage and shuttle time. 
Last edited by Joe Bivitz on February 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » February 1st, 2018, 9:33 pm

Boys
Saint Joseph's 82
Southern Huntingdon 56

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » February 1st, 2018, 9:37 pm

I agree that Penns Valley "basketball" can be very hard to watch.  Nobody enjoys those games regardless of the outcome.
I am shocked that they were able to knock off Tyrone.  I'm guessing there were lots of whistles tonight?

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » February 1st, 2018, 9:49 pm

Yeah PV's style can really throw u off your game but still surprised they were able to knock of Tyrone.

You play to win the game!!!

SwaggyJ23
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby SwaggyJ23 » February 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

DragonsDoExist wrote:Yeah PV's style can really throw u off your game but still surprised they were able to knock of Tyrone.

They didn’t play very well but the fouls were only called on Tyrone. That’s nothing new though when you play down there

SwaggyJ23
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby SwaggyJ23 » February 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

Hopefully Tyrone gets over it it’s only one game they play again tomorrow. Then next week they have Penns Valley at home

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » February 1st, 2018, 10:24 pm

Could be big when deciding who gets home court in a likely Tyrone-Jtown semifinal.

You play to win the game!!!

Return to “Basketball”