D6 championships ?

Hardwood chatter
footballmadness
Freshman
Freshman

D6 championships ?

Postby footballmadness » February 26th, 2018, 10:22 am

In hollidaysburg, they celebrate winning D6 5A titles by making a huge deal.  Fire trucks chaperone the team home, big tweets, facebook all the hype.  in football, girls bb, boys bb.   This past weekend both girls BB and boys BB won a 3 team bracket. 
In football, they got a bye in 2 rounds in 2016 playoffs, then got killed by Meadville.  This year 2 byes, beat Grove City and then got killed by Gateway.  But they are D6 Champions 
At least in 2A or 3A they have to win a few games.  
Am I just a grumpy old man or is this a celebration of nothing ?   Winning States, yes, or advancing to Hershey like BG, yes.  But winning a Division of 3 teams ?  PIAA is giving out participation banners....

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: D6 championships ?

Postby Crimson's Ghost » February 26th, 2018, 11:29 am

I think winning a district title is worth celebrating, but I get the sentiment you share about it beating 2 other teams to make it happen.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » February 26th, 2018, 2:05 pm

For me its never bad to celebrate anything but I agree when its only 3 teams it doesnt look great.

I say celebrate winning confrences, undefeated regular seasons, winning districts if its more than 6 teams and then state finalist/winners

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » February 26th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Who does Hollidaysburg think they are? UCF?
On a side note I always wondered what these school's gyms looked like with all their 1 game win district championship banners. To me it means more when you have to win through a playoff of some sort 

footballmadness
Freshman
Freshman

Postby footballmadness » February 26th, 2018, 3:29 pm

They are UCF. In 16 the football team won D6 5A championship by having the 2 eligible opponents withdraw due to having lost to Hburg during the season and also school policy that you can't advance to playoffs with a losing season. Hburg then lost to Meadville by 50 points after waiting 2 weeks for a game. The parents of the seniors were contemplating having a parade..and wondering why people did not celebrate it more....I get that it gives better access to the playoffs where anything can happen but don't celebrate winning by default.

lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby lgb87cape » February 26th, 2018, 4:53 pm

footballmadness wrote:In hollidaysburg, they celebrate winning D6 5A titles by making a huge deal.  Fire trucks chaperone the team home, big tweets, facebook all the hype.  in football, girls bb, boys bb.   This past weekend both girls BB and boys BB won a 3 team bracket. 
In football, they got a bye in 2 rounds in 2016 playoffs, then got killed by Meadville.  This year 2 byes, beat Grove City and then got killed by Gateway.  But they are D6 Champions 
At least in 2A or 3A they have to win a few games.  
Am I just a grumpy old man or is this a celebration of nothing ?   Winning States, yes, or advancing to Hershey like BG, yes.  But winning a Division of 3 teams ?  PIAA 

Since it looks like everybody is a negative Nellie against Hollidaysburg.  I'm all for let's go back to the day of "Hoosiers".  Throw everyone participating in a hat and do your draw. Have your  tournament bracket for all schools west of Harrisburg and  bracket for all schools East of Harrisburg. Have 2 champions. A public school in one pool and all your charter,  catholic , private etc. schools...

Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Wrasslerfan » February 26th, 2018, 5:15 pm

i think your being a grumpy old man who has entered old man yells at cloud stage football madness
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable

PAMDGrappler
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby PAMDGrappler » February 26th, 2018, 5:21 pm

I guess I look at it differently.  At least the school and community support their teams and their accomplishments!  Those kids may remember that recognition the rest of their lives...let them celebrate!

lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby lgb87cape » February 26th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Wrasslerfan wrote:i think your being a grumpy old man who has entered old man yells at cloud stage football madness

In English please? ?

Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Wrasslerfan » February 26th, 2018, 5:43 pm

what i meant was i think football madness was overreacting to holidaysburg celebration
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable

Return to “Basketball”