Coaching Changes

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Coaching Changes

Postby Crimson's Ghost » April 19th, 2018, 11:38 am

Cambria Heights was 6-16 this season, and 3-13 in the LHAC.  They beat playoff teams Forest Hills and Central Cambria along the way as well. They will return Liam Wholaver next season to anchor the team, one of the more underrated players in the league.  We'll have to see if Heights can take a step forward with him as a senior.

Coach Nagel's three year stretch from 2008, 09, 10 was very good.  They were 52-24, including a 21-6 season in 2009 with a D6AA championship. They made it to the state tournament twice in that stretch.  

They've fallen on some tough times since. In 2012 and 2013 they went to the playoffs twice with an 11-12 mark, and a 13-10 mark. But five straight losing seasons since.

• Advertisement
CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » April 19th, 2018, 11:40 am

wpbc wrote:CH is a Heritage level team playing in the LHAC.  When you don't have the horses to compete it doesn't matter who's on the bench.

That’s just an excuse in my book. Every other CH sport made the playoffs in the LHAC. There’s talent at that school and for some reason they don’t want to play for this coach. So, beating FH and CC isn’t competing in the LHAC. Those are two quality teams they beat. In my view they should’ve won 4 or 5 more games that came down to bad coaching. To have a program lose the way CH has been losing for awhile is a shame. Your reasoning “ it has to be the kids fault if we’re not winning”. Gimme a break!!! I can see 1 or 2 down years, but it’s been awhile since CH b-ball has been relevant. Good job coach! Keep doing what your doing. Eventually we’ll get some 6’8” players and win again. 

CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » April 19th, 2018, 11:42 am

kmr wrote:CH was the underdog in all but five games this year.  They won three of those plus wins over CC,JV, and FH.  The record they had this year matched the talent they had.  The varsity coaches can do so much.  Maybe have better grade school and Jr high level programs to develop the kids more.

Doesn’t that fall under the varsity coaches goals. Developed at the JH level or younger. Non existent at CH.

CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » April 19th, 2018, 11:46 am

5 straight losing season
My question is do you stick with Nagle or give someone else a shot?
You know my answer, lol.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » April 19th, 2018, 11:53 am

Richland - AAA state finalist
Johnstown - AAAA Sweet 16 team.
Bishop McCort - AA Sweet 16 team.
Bishop Guilfoyle - AA Sweet 16 team.
Bishop Carroll - A Western Finalist
Central Cambria - State tournament team; had best player in the league.
Forest Hills - Quality AAAA playoff team.

Right there, I think the LHAC had 7 solid to really good teams this season.

Beyond that, Bedford, Westmont, Cambria Heights, Somerset, and Penn Cambria were all fairly evenly matched.

Lost to Westmont by 1 in OT
Lost to Bedford by 15.
Beat Somerset by 21.
Lost to Penn Cambria by 7
Lost to Penn Cambria by 9

So Heights was 1-4 against the other bottom 4 teams in the league, and they were in the game for the most part with all of them. But they also won 2 games they probably should not have.

I don't know if this team in particular had a higher ceiling, and I'm basing this off of the league being very, very good this season not so much anything about Heights in particular. There weren't many easy wins in the league this season, I think that's what in boils down to.

Tigersharks
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Tigersharks » April 19th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Cambria Heights was 6-16 this season, and 3-13 in the LHAC.  They beat playoff teams Forest Hills and Central Cambria along the way as well. They will return Liam Wholaver next season to anchor the team, one of the more underrated players in the league.  We'll have to see if Heights can take a step forward with him as a senior.

Coach Nagel's three year stretch from 2008, 09, 10 was very good.  They were 52-24, including a 21-6 season in 2009 with a D6AA championship. They made it to the state tournament twice in that stretch.  

They've fallen on some tough times since. In 2012 and 2013 they went to the playoffs twice with an 11-12 mark, and a 13-10 mark. But five straight losing seasons since.

They better hope they have Liam for next year.  A lot of rumors floating around about him.  If they don't they may not get the ball over half court against some of these teams.

CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » April 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Moving to 6 classes from the 4 class format helped boast those teams seasons. Don’t get me wrong. Great seasons for them. I get the LHAC was really strong this year in particular. But to keep this guy on and not even try opening it up to see what’s out there coaching wise. Just sucks for these kids. There’s a lot of drama going on at CH that parents have every right to be concerned about. In my opinion CH will not have a winning season with this coach at the helm again. Kids aren’t motivated and excited to play for this guy. Until you can get someone in here to change this dying culture. CH will always be on the lower end of the rankings.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » April 19th, 2018, 12:36 pm

It really is a shame that every team in the LHAC can't go 12-4 in the conference every year.

Better develop the kids in elementary and junior high? Ha! Conemaugh Valley went 0-10 in football this year. Four years ago they went 8-0 in junior high.

High school coaches aren't magicians.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » April 19th, 2018, 12:58 pm

CrazyTrain wrote:Moving to 6 classes from the 4 class format helped boast those teams seasons. Don’t get me wrong. Great seasons for them. I get the LHAC was really strong this year in particular. But to keep this guy on and not even try opening it up to see what’s out there coaching wise. Just sucks for these kids. There’s a lot of drama going on at CH that parents have every right to be concerned about. In my opinion CH will not have a winning season with this coach at the helm again. Kids aren’t motivated and excited to play for this guy. Until you can get someone in here to change this dying culture. CH will always be on the lower end of the rankings.

Even if there were only four classes, those teams would have been really good in the regular season, maybe a team or two less making a deep run in states however. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » April 19th, 2018, 1:00 pm

knowitall wrote:It really is a shame that every team in the LHAC can't go 12-4 in the conference every year.

Better develop the kids in elementary and junior high?  Ha!  Conemaugh Valley went 0-10 in football this year.  Four years ago they went 8-0 in junior high.

High school coaches aren't magicians.

Kids aren't done growing in 8th and 9th grade. So the team that went 5-3 instead of 8-0 can pass them up quickly if a few kids grow. 
Junior high coaching still matters, and if they are being taught the right things it certainly helps the varsity staff. But at the end of the day some 5-8 kids can turn into 6-2 kids in a year's time, and that makes a big difference also at that level.

Return to “Basketball”