Pitt Stripe Out

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Stripe Out

Postby abpk2903 » December 13th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Penn State had a very deep rotation this year. Even in the Pitt game which wasn’t a blowout, they had 25 players see at least 12 snaps on defense. They did a great job of getting players meaningful reps throughout the year.  They had a 8-10 player rotation on the DL, 5 player rotation with LBs, and 8 players in the secondary. 

Lamont Wade got meaningful snaps this year. He would get a series in the 1st half of almost every game. He along with Simmons and Castro-Fields were all in the rotation.  Miles Sanders may not be Barkley but from what I have seen over the last 3 or 4 games the running back position will not be a weakness.

The offensive line wasn’t horrible. They weren’t a strength either but most of the season they had 3 underclassman starting. I think the lake of rushing yards had a lot to do with over using the read option when the 110,000 in attendance knew it was going to Barkley. The 2 seniors that seen any action upfront were noticeably worse than their underclassmen counterparts.  Andrew Nelson looked awful and Mahan didn’t do much better.

You should expect the line to get better, McSorley is a very good college QB, and they return 2 very good receivers. I think most offensive coordinators can start with that.

The defense was the deeper unit this year but lose a lot more. Cothran, Cothran, Cabinda, and Allen are dang good and we didn’t see much talent behind them. That is the question mark that Penn State fans have to be concerned about.  They have recruited consistently in the top 15 with Franklin so they should have some talent ready to step in. 

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 14th, 2017, 9:37 am

We'll see, both teams have question marks when the second weekend in September rolls around.  A lot of new faces will be the stars for each team.

I think Pitt is losing a few good players, but has a lot returning with game experience, that are young and promising. And should take jumps next season.   But you seem skeptical of that happening.

I think PSU is losing a lot of good players, but has a lot of incredible young talent, albeit unproven.  But they'll still be ready to play next season.  But you seem sure of those things happening. 

Maybe I'm reading what you are saying incorrectly. But they seem similar but different situations, but I think both of us are painting our favorite teams in the better light haha, which is understandable. 

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » December 14th, 2017, 11:06 am

I am not saying that their unproven talent will be comparable to what they are losing.  I think Penn State takes a small step backwards next year but a favorable schedule really does help them.  Their only road games are Pitt, Michigan, Indiana, Rutgers, and Illinois. If they can get by Pitt, then they really don't have any danger of losing any other games until week 5 when Ohio State comes to town.  Playing Michigan State and Ohio State at home will be a great opportunity to split with those teams.  I can still see them getting to 10 wins in the regular season if they get past Pitt in week 2. I don't see them beating Michigan next year and Ohio State/Michigan State back to back is very tough.  So that is probably 2 losses for sure.

OL is what usually takes the most time to develop, so having 6 lineman that started 6+ games this season returning is huge in college.  OL is difficult because it takes size and technique both of which most 18, 19, 20 year olds don't have to compete at the FBS level.  So the OL weakness this year I think will be a strength next year.  The same can also be said about DTs and MLBs which Penn State has to replace all 4.  So I have a lot of concern about the interior defense next year. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 14th, 2017, 11:12 am

OK, I was just unclear as to what you were saying.

I don't know if Pitt is going to be good, but going into the offseason with a big win and a young team definitely has people optimistic.  

As far as the Pitt-PSU game, I think it's going to be a battle however the teams finish from there.  

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 14th, 2017, 11:15 am

Looking like Penn State will be losing it's defensive coordinator as well.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 14th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Bowl practices will really help the group coming back next year.

I actually thinking losing Pry could hurt worse than losing Moorhead. Mainly on the recruiting front. Don't think they will lose any 2018 kids over Moorhead leaving but some of the big names they are making a late push for on the defensive front could go another direction if Pry does indeed leave. Hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 14th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Pitt QB Ben DiNucci just announced his plans to transfer. 2nd QB to leave the team this week.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 14th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Sounds like he may be transferring to an FCS school, where he probably should have been all along.

Still not ideal, I wanted him back as a backup with experience.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » December 14th, 2017, 1:36 pm

You can't have too many QBs on your roster, especially if you have questions with the OL.  I don't care the talent level.  Ask Michigan or Maryland who went through about 12 QBs this year collectively.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Yeah hopefully they got Pickett walking around campus with a red jersey on. Crazy how soon it went from them being hesitant to give him meaningful snaps to him being the only option going forward.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”