Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Postby konjo78 » November 14th, 2017, 11:51 pm

idk maybe a better comparison for pitt basketball might be oklahoma about 10 years ago. Kelvin Sampson brought their program to unseen heights making a final four and 2 elite 8s before leaving that program in 06. They hired a coach who wasn't exactly proven yet in Jeff Capel but at first he succeeded with some of sampson's recruits but eventually he ended up really hurting that program.

They then hired Lon Kruger, an older coach who's been around and was helping UNLV get back the sweet 16 since the 90s and now Oklahoma is back on the map for basketball. Each year Kruger led Sooners have came in with a higher seed in the NCAA tournament and last year they made it to the final 4.

I could be horribly off with my comparison though

• Advertisement
BlueYonder
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby BlueYonder » November 14th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Fair points Crimson.  But they won a lot more games two years ago than they did last year (with that team) and all they lost was James Robinson from that team.  Also - when you lose by 55 at home to Louisville, you have a coaching problem, IMO.  Dixon's teams hardly ever were beat by more than 15 points.  They fought.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 15th, 2017, 12:20 am

I think James Robinson was pretty good, and they didn't have a point guard at all last season. That made a bigger difference than people realize, also the ACC was really good in 2017, it was better than it was in 2016. So yeah they didn't lose much, but they didn't get a single player to make them better.

I actually think there were attitude problems between Michael Young and Jamel Artis, and they started before Stallings got here. They were both talented players, but they were the two best players for three straight years, and they missed the tournament, barely made the tournament, and missed the tournament. I think that says a lot about those 2 as players, as it does the coaching, because their efforts were bad for three years, not just one.

I also looked, Dixon's last year at Pitt they lost 12 games, and 7 were by double digits. I'm not implying he's a bad coach, I'm implying that group wasn't talented, and/or inspired by a good coach or a bad coach. They just did their own thing.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » November 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

konjo78 wrote: The new Pitt coach was a sign that the athletic department didn't care that much for Basketball. Pitt could of tried to bring in a Jamie Dixon name value coach, or even pick up a mid major coach who's had success.

Time Out.  Pitt did better than hiring a mid major coach who had success.  Pitt hired a major coach who had success.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 15th, 2017, 8:53 am

He just wasn't a good hire.  It was almost universally laughed at.  He was more less getting pushed out of Vanderbilt.  It made zero sense. 

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » November 15th, 2017, 9:43 am

Didn’t Dixon have a ton of success getting players out of New York and Philadelphia regions while in the Big East? Correct me if I’m wrong Pitt fans. But I seem to remember a lot of their talent coming from the east. 

I’m sure it was easy to recruit players out of NYC or Philadelphia when you played in a conference that featured Villanova and St Johns. Also, the Big East tournament was played each year at MSG and Pitt usually played a preseason tournament someone in the east. That gave these players a dozen or so games throughout their career in their hometown or close to it. 

I don’t know if the fall of the Pitt program can be entitlely blamed on Dixon or Stallings. When the university switches conferences and it rips the pipeline that Dixon had built away, I’m sure it is tough. 

Pitt isn’t going to build a national contender recruiting the WPIAL, eastern OH,WV, and western NY. Those are football, hockey, and lacrosse hotbeds.

As far as Chambers, it’s just not comparable. He took over a program that graduated 4 starters the previous season and only made the tournament twice in the previous 20 seasons. The BJC was (and still is) 20% full for most of the home games. There is no tradition, fanbase, or national spotlight.  Chambers has got to either make the tournament or make a deep run in the NIT to be the coach at PSU next year. 

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » November 15th, 2017, 9:56 am

The Pitt pipeline to NYC really went away when Barry Rohrssen left the first time.  Losing that recruiting area and now playing in a conference where no kid south of Maryland really ever thinks of Pitt as a choice really hurts.

dougkeklak
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby dougkeklak » November 15th, 2017, 10:50 am

I was never one of the Pitt fans that was chasing out Dixon, never took that stretch for granted. Ultimately he never delivered the ultimate goal, but that's a tough tournament to win. Conferences were probably his downfall. He recruited and built his team on the old Big East tenements of toughness and defense. It worked well in the regular season and the conference tournaments where you were used to both the opponents and the referees. When they got into NCAA play, it was a different ball game with games being called tighter PLUS high level, in some cases NBA-level guard play. Something they NEVER had in the glory years.

Then, the move to ACC, a totally different ball of wax and one that I don't think Dixon wanted any part of. He was on record more than once I believe wanting to keep the old Big East intact. But football rules as we know. Overall, the move to the ACC was absolutely necessary for football and the greater good of the athletic department, but for hoops, it's going to be growing pains. I think Stallings is a bridge to something better in 3-5 years.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 15th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Pitt never recruited at a super high level, they got pretty good players, but rarely were they top 50 kids.  Pitt had a good run of tough players that developed over time.  That run sort of died off. 

Dixon made some poor choices with who was on his staff in his final few years, and that hurt his recruiting for the most part along with the conference change.  

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » November 15th, 2017, 11:23 pm

When PSU hired Chambers, BOTH new what the situation was with the graduations. But PSU did what a lot of schools do, tried to hire some young buck who had just made it to the final 64, after ONLY 2 years as a head coach. Consequently, PSU B-Ball has stayed in the doldrums for 6 years. Pitt chose a veteran coach who has been around the block a few times. So which school had the better philosophy for their hiring? PSU's program has stagnated. Even their only winning season under Chambers was a 18-16 year. We'll just have to see how Stallings progresses with his young team as the season moves along.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”