Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Postby El-Moldo » January 25th, 2018, 6:53 am

You're an alarmist. Give the guy a chance.

• Advertisement
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » January 25th, 2018, 9:06 am

On a somewhat related note, Pitt-Johnstown pulled off one of the greatest upsets I ever saw last night, defeating 15-2 and first place PSAC team, West Chester, by a 102-85 score. Isaac Vescovi is having a great year, and matched his previous high score with 33 points. The supporting cast is good too, but they lose 3 seniors this year. Ruck better have a heluva recruiting year.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » January 25th, 2018, 9:58 am

He needs to go quickly.   This program is in a death spiral.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » January 25th, 2018, 10:18 am

I hope you meant Stallings.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » January 25th, 2018, 10:38 am

yes, meant Pitt main.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » January 25th, 2018, 10:58 am

deepcreek wrote:He needs to go quickly.   This program is in a death spiral.

He should get five years to recruit, develop and coach his own players.  That is the standard line rolled out for every football coach Pitt hires.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 11:22 am

knowitall wrote:
deepcreek wrote:He needs to go quickly.   This program is in a death spiral.

He should get five years to recruit, develop and coach his own players.  That is the standard line rolled out for every football coach Pitt hires.

That's the standard line by every fan base everywhere.  Although I think people say four years, not five.    

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 11:25 am

El-Moldo wrote:You're an alarmist. Give the guy a chance.

Stallings subbed Jared Wilson-Frame last night with two minutes to go in the game in the midst of a big NC State run.  Wilson-Frame 

had a season-high 22 points, and is the team's leading scorer.  When asked why he took him out, Stallings replied, "I don't recall."
So, yeah I find it somewhat alarming he doesn't remember crucial decisions during the game. 

I don't think he will be Pitt's coach next year. I've given the guy a chance, and would sort of expect him to be back next year.  I think it's silly how poorly he's been treated here by so many people.  But I've heard some rumblings suggesting there's been talks about him not returning next year. 

You can't have a 13,000 seat arena and get 2,000 fans for much longer.  It's embarrassing. 

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » January 25th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Did you even pay attention to the game last night? Did you know that Wilson-Frame did NOT score a point after the 11:32 mark in the second half? Sure he had 22 points, but went ice cold. So what was Stallings supposed to do? He made the right move, subbing for him at games end. He made the gutsy move for the sake of the team. And if Stallings indeed said he didn't recall the decision (give us your source), it was to protect his star player from being criticized for his poor play in the second half of the second half. Stallings has been around the block. He knows what he's doing, considering the talent he has to work with. And as far as attendance goes, who pays attention to Pitt's attendance except Pitt fans and those involved with the program.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 12:53 am

El-Moldo wrote:Did you even pay attention to the game last night? Did you know that Wilson-Frame did NOT score a point after the 11:32 mark in the second half? Sure he had 22 points, but went ice cold. So what was Stallings supposed to do? He made the right move, subbing for him at games end. He made the gutsy move for the sake of the team. And if Stallings indeed said he didn't recall the decision (give us your source), it was to protect his star player from being criticized for his poor play in the second half of the second half. Stallings has been around the block. He knows what he's doing, considering the talent he has to work with. And as far as attendance goes, who pays attention to Pitt's attendance except Pitt fans and those involved with the program.

Apparently you didn't pay much attention either, since his last points came around the 16 minute mark. He did have a few assists down the stretch, maybe he could have been able to create a score for someone else. He led the team in assists with four, so even if he wasn't scoring, he may have been able to make a play.  Pretty inexcusable to take out the guy that created the most offense down the stretch IMO. But hey, maybe having worse offensive players in the game during a scoring drought makes more sense to others. 
Here's my source on Stallings not recalling the coaching decision, I'm going to cite Kevin Stallings himself via the post game press conference. 

https://twitter.com/CraigMeyerPG/status ... 8783642624

So my guess he wasn't protecting him from a bad performance, since he had no idea he wasn't even in the game! Nice try, but my goodness the guy lost track of his roster during a key point in the game. I can only imagine if Pat Chambers said tonight "I forgot to put Tony Carr into the game during the last minute" the kind of post you'd have on him. 

If you reference the talent he has to work with, some of that is on him. Dixon left a pretty dire situation, however he had the chance to recruit better players.  He struck out on every quality recruit except Marcus Carr.  Every other respectable player he pursued went elsewhere. I agree, he has a poor roster so it's tough to really judge him.  I think Stallings is a good X's and O's offensive coach. You can see has a real talent at drawing up plays.  But again, Vanderbilt was working on getting rid of him, and Pitt hired him.  It was pretty inexcusable.

"And as far as attendance goes, who pays attention to Pitt's attendance except Pitt fans and those involved with the program?"
"Those involved with the program" are the people that would care, season ticket sales have plummeted, only going to get worse. So those involved with the program are certainly watching that, they are aware of it, and they aren't happy about it. 

Again, I'm pretty sure they are working on getting rid of Stallings before next year. I wish it was working out better, but this is worse the Ralph Willard years.  They don't look like an ACC team at all, the talent they have resembles a Conference USA team at best. 

Return to “College and Professional Sports”