Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Postby El-Moldo » January 26th, 2018, 6:45 am

You agree he has a "poor roster". There's an old saying, "You can't polish a turd". So what ELSE do you want from him right NOW??? His team will continue to make progress. You don't like Stallings because he wasn't YOUR choice. Just like those who don't like Trump. And NOTHING he does will ever suit them. Nothing. And you keep harping about Stallings at Vanderbilt. How many coaches are let go by a team and resurface somewhere else and have success. Keep picking on those little things he does, and making them BIG issues. They will look much more like an ACC team as the season goes on.

• Advertisement
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 26th, 2018, 7:16 am

Well since the season is 2/3 over how much more time you giving them to look more like an “acc” team? This team is no where near an acc team, to be honest this team wouldn’t be competing in the old big east.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 11:16 am

El-Moldo wrote:You agree he has a "poor roster". There's an old saying, "You can't polish a turd". So what ELSE do you want from him right NOW??? His team will continue to make progress. You don't like Stallings because he wasn't YOUR choice. Just like those who don't like Trump. And NOTHING he does will ever suit them. Nothing. And you keep harping about Stallings at Vanderbilt. How many coaches are let go by a team and resurface somewhere else and have success. Keep picking on those little things he does, and making them BIG issues. They will look much more like an ACC team as the season goes on.

But he has a hand in the poor roster.  It's not like in the NBA where the GM is the one picking the players, and the coach has to make it work.  He has a hand who is on the team.  Let's go back and look at some of these recruiting battles. 

Kene Chukwuku's best offer other than Pitt was Middle Tennessee State. 
Kham Davis did not have any offer besides Pitt.
Samson George flipped from Iona.
Peace Ilegomah picked Pitt over Saint Louis. 

So a third of the roster he recruited really has no business being here.  Are we supposed to give him a pass for bad recruiting? The rest of the guys were hardly McDonald's All-American's either. 

You say I'm making tiny issues into big ones?  
Pitt's going to finish 0-18 in the ACC.
Pitt's going to have it's worst attendance ever at the Petersen Events Center. 
Pitt's recruiting is still ranked towards the bottom of the ACC. 

It was always a bad hire, and like I continue to say I'm pretty sure Pitt is working on a way to get him out of here. That's not something I'm making up on my own. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 11:18 am

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Well since the season is 2/3 over how much more time you giving them to look more like an “acc” team? This team is no where near an acc team, to be honest this team wouldn’t be competing in the old big east.

I think the "old" Big East was better than the current ACC.  But at the bottom the league was always bad with Rutgers, USF, and DePaul.  Pitt's probably the equivalent of them currently, maybe worse though. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 11:23 am

I just want Pitt to be successful, and I defended Stallings as much as anyone for the first year and a half. It's just becoming apparent to me, it's not going to work out here for Kevin Stallings. Fair or not. They should just make the move sooner rather than later.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 26th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Pitt doesnt care about basketball, its all about football!!!!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 12:30 pm

That would be Penn State, Pitt very much cares about basketball. And that's why they aren't going to give Kevin Stallings the 8 year grace period Chambers is getting. 

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 26th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Pitt is going down a slippery slope right now that a lot of schools don’t want to have. That would be no success in any athletics. Pretty soon they could be the school getting paid to play other teams instead of paying schools to pay them. They need to get it turned around fast. Football seems to be making a turn for the better but now basketball is taking a heavy hit.

Crimson tell me when the old big east was there who has more NCAA basketball Championships. ACC or Big East. The ACC has always been better then them and it was never really that close. The big east teams were good during the regular season but rarely did anything in the tourney.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Well, considering Pitt is in the ACC they are still going to be paying teams to play them.  It's not like Arizona is going to offer Pitt money to play a game haha. That's not really how collegiate athletics work.

At the height of the Big East (2006-2013) when it was the 16 team mega conference, it was undoubtedly the best collection of basketball teams to ever been assembled, the ACC from 2006-2013 was never that close and the present day ACC is close, but it still wasn't as good as those Big East seasons. Top to bottom it was incredible.  11/16 teams made the tournament one year, that's insane.

The ACC has always just been UNC-Duke, and then everyone else.  (It's still kind of like that to this day).  The Big East was deeper, it was awesome basketball to watch. It will never be topped. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I don't know if saying "The ACC has more championships" is a good way to quantify that it's ever or always been a better league. On some years, sure. It changes every year. But during that particular stretch, the Big East was better.

Because after we watched college football this year, we know the SEC wasn't all that great but Alabama won it all. I don't think one team winning a title makes up for the rest of the league's inadequacies. I'm sure people think with that logic, but I think there's a greater picture on a topic like that.

That's just my opinion.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”