Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Postby abpk2903 » January 26th, 2018, 1:26 pm

I do question the health of Pitt Athletics.  People seem to think they will always be protected by the "Pittsburgh market" but when Temple's athletics got very subpar in the mid 90s, they got the boot from the Big East.  The Philadelphia market is 6 times the size of Pittsburgh's. I'm not saying it will happen but there gets to be a point where some schools kind of just throw in the towel on their emphasis for sports.  The second the ACC thinks they could make more money with another school in the conference, they will be shown the door.  I could see WVU getting the itch to try to get into the ACC.  If I were the ACC, I can see much more potential out of that program than Pitt's.  UCF is a massive university in a mid-major city.  I have a hard time believing they won't eventually be in a P5 conference.  Does that mean someone loses their spot?

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 2:08 pm

WVU isn't welcomed in the ACC. Academics aren't good enough, probably the same with UCF.  WVU would have been invited the first time around if that were the case  Conferences are probably set for the foreseeable future until the Big 12 folds and gets consumed by the other four leagues.

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 26th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Abpk said it nicely that’s exactly what I meant when I said pitt will be paid to play the big schools caz I see the ACC kicking them out and bringing in a better team. This year the capital one cup standings have pitt boys and girls teams ranked over 100. Seems they aren’t bringing much to the table. Pitt should go back to the big east, maybe then they could win a couple of games in conference play.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Pitt is as safe in the ACC as Penn State is in the Big Ten.

Point being, neither is ever going to get kicked out.

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 26th, 2018, 2:13 pm

And I don’t think of Louisville as an academic school. They are probably very similar to WVU.
I’ll add Miami too.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Louisville added an actual market, and you are correct Louisville is a pretty terrible academic school. I don't think the old guard of the ACC is thrilled with them either, especially with the Pitino scandal(s).

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Miami is a better school than Pitt and Penn State.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 26th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I can see louisville being taken out for UCF.

Pitt put fball ahead of everything when they left for the ACC. Ever since then its been clear fball > basketball at every turn

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 26th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Pitt didn't really have a choice but to leave for the ACC, but I don't think Pitt is going to abandon the basketball program. Basketball can flip a lot faster than football. Hire the right coach, get a couple good recruits and things can change quickly. Hoping to see that happen once Stallings is let go.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 26th, 2018, 3:08 pm

They could of stayed in the big east for basketball and potentially go independent for football. I really think keeping close rivalries would of helped pitt out a ton.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”