Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
Colonel Mustard
Senior
Senior

Re: Pitt Basketball

Postby Colonel Mustard » December 13th, 2017, 12:14 pm

As for Art is and Young, they lost to Duquesne as seniors, enough said. And of all the other Dixon players that left, only Cam Johnson is in a major conference. The teAm was bad, Dixon had gotten stale. A change of scenery was good for both parties. Pitt's not willing to spend big-time in sports. I'm ok with Stallings.

• Advertisement
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » December 22nd, 2017, 11:16 pm

Just for the heck of it, in the above loss to Duquesne in 2016, Jamel Artis did not play in that game, as he was serving a one game suspension.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » December 23rd, 2017, 7:14 pm

....About a month ago, Wrasslerfan asked me why I was a Pitt apologist. Part of my answer concerned how the local TV and newspapers treated Pitt, as opposed to how they adored Penn State. Both teams played a basketball game last night. Pitt was able to win their game, but PSU lost theirs. Both had articles about their games on the front page of the Tribune sports page today. It wasn't hard to see which team is favored by the local paper.
...Most articles about Pitt always show a lot of negativity, even when they win. The Pitt headline read, "Turn-over Prone Pitt Outlasts Towson". Now I'll be the first to admit, that Pitt didn't play the likes of Duke or Michigan. But Towson was 10-2, and Pitt was a 5 point underdog in their own arena. Instead of giving Pitt a little praise, the whole article was about how Pitt played poorly, how they trailed most of the game, how they had 21 turn-overs, how Towson was the toughest team they played all year, and how Pitt has a RPI of 182. So much for their efforts.
...On the other had, the PSU article was more favorable, even though they lost to Rider and were highly favored in their own arena. Their headline was more kind. It read, "Scott's 3-pointer Lifts Rider over PSU". The entire article mostly talked about Rider's redshirt freshman who basically won the game for them. There was NO mention of how PSU squandered multiple leads throughout the game, how PSU had a 4 point lead with 22 left seconds in the game and still lost, or how a PSU starter missed two free throws with 14 seconds left which would have won the game or could have forced overtime. Wouldn't want the Nits to look bad.
...So as you can see, there IS a favorite college team in our area. If you can't see it, then you are blind.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » December 23rd, 2017, 7:23 pm

You gotta love the 5th Estate.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » December 23rd, 2017, 8:30 pm

Altoona Mirror headlines...

"PSU dealt bad loss at buzzer"

"Pitt rallies past Towson"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » December 23rd, 2017, 9:03 pm

Both stories were picked off the AP wire. Is the AP biased towards Penn State?

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » December 24th, 2017, 12:41 am

The AP writer (Travis Johnson) who wrote the Tribune's article on the PSU loss to Rider is also an adjunct instructor at Penn State. No bias there, right? And the Tribune doesn't have to accept EVERY article written by a freelance writer, whether it's sports or any other subject. Heck, there may have been several writers who covered the Pitt game. Maybe that's why the Tribune article differed from that of the Altoona Mirror. They can slant an opinion any way they want.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 24th, 2017, 4:05 am

21 turnovers is a lot.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » December 24th, 2017, 8:10 am

El-Moldo wrote:The AP writer (Travis Johnson) who wrote the Tribune's article on the PSU loss to Rider is also an adjunct instructor at Penn State. No bias there, right? And the Tribune doesn't have to accept EVERY article written by a freelance writer, whether it's sports or any other subject. Heck, there may have been several writers who covered the Pitt game. Maybe that's why the Tribune article differed from that of the Altoona Mirror. They can slant an opinion any way they want.

Pitthetic whining.

BlueYonder
Junior
Junior

Postby BlueYonder » December 24th, 2017, 8:53 am

Getting back to the Pitt Basketball team.  They are 8-5 going into conference play.  I think a lot of people, including me, thought they may only win 5 or 6 games all year.  After a rough start, they have improved and they are showing some fight.  They now go into ACC play.  A month or so ago I thought they would not win a game in ACC play.  I am now guessing they may win a couple.  They are still a bad team, but it is not as bad as I thought.  With all of their young guys, they will struggle in the conference but they are improving.  They also won  a couple of games without Ryan Luther.  While not a superstar, he is probably their most productive player.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”