Whos your 4 college football playoff teams?

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Whos your 4 college football playoff teams?

Postby konjo78 » January 3rd, 2018, 12:26 pm

Again Im not saying they would of won the CFB playoffs but they should of been given the chance.

And im also sayin just given everything we can know about this season for ME PERSONALLY I cant have a reason they are not #1. They did everything they could this season and because they werent put in the top 4 by some random committee I now have to look at an undefeated team who just won against a team that handed both finalists their only lost this season.

Also I know the SEC is a better conference than american but the Big 10 is tougher than the SEC. Who says alabama or georgia wouldnt have 2 losses if they were given a penn state or ohio state schedule? If thats the argument you want to make.

Finally Alabamas best win during the regular season this year was LSU. Yes LSU did beat auburn but LSU also lost at home to Troy. So you are also disregarding the fact alabamas resume wasnt exactly strong at all either

• Advertisement
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » January 3rd, 2018, 12:41 pm

konjo78 wrote:Again Im not saying they would of won the CFB playoffs but they should of been given the chance.

And im also sayin just given everything we can know about this season for ME PERSONALLY I cant have a reason they are not #1. They did everything they could this season and because they werent put in the top 4 by some random committee I now have to look at an undefeated team who just won against a team that handed both finalists their only lost this season.

Also I know the SEC is a better conference than american but the Big 10 is tougher than the SEC. Who says alabama or georgia wouldnt have 2 losses if they were given a penn state or ohio state schedule? If thats the argument you want to make.

Finally Alabamas best win during the regular season this year was LSU. Yes LSU did beat auburn but LSU also lost at home to Troy. So you are also disregarding the fact alabamas resume wasnt exactly strong at all either

Wasn't strong because Miss. St. had a down year? LSU had a down year? Again, who you rather play, a down LSU or Austin Peay? Penn State gets bashed for their weak out of conference schedule. But the types of teams they play are of the same or similar strength of the American Conference. How can you argue PSU's OOC is weak AND that UCF "won their conference, doesn't matter who they played". The playoff is not who has the best record, who has the most wins, etc. It's the best 4 teams. Period. Beating Memphis twice doesn't get you there. 

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » January 3rd, 2018, 12:44 pm

konjo78 wrote:Also I know the SEC is a better conference than american but the Big 10 is tougher than the SEC. 

How can you admit that the SEC is better but then say a 12-1 SEC team who lost to the #6 conference rival away is not as good as a 13-0 American conference team who beat one ranked opponent

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 3rd, 2018, 1:09 pm

Alabama had 2 wins vs ranked 25 teams at the end of the season. UCF also had 2. One might also argue its harder to win against the same team twice as well. Heck if we limit it to top 20 then UCF had 2 alabama had 1. If we limit it to top 15 wins they both had 0

anysport24
Junior
Junior

Postby anysport24 » January 3rd, 2018, 1:55 pm

You keep bringing up Alabama and Georgia losing to Auburn. If you recall both of these games were played at Jordan-Hare Stadium which may be one of the hardest place to play in the country. If UCF plays Auburn there the lose also. They beat Auburn the same place that Georgia put a complete beat down on Auburn if I recall. In my opinion UCF would not hang with the power 5. If anyone has a major complaint it would be the Big 10. I recall people started saying about Boise State and Houston being in this situation so they went out and started to scheduling more power 5 out of conference games to build their resume. Now that UCF had their season to remember and want to take the next step, then the too need to restructure their schedule so they can make their case with better wins than what they had this year. Congrats to UCF but they didn't belong this year.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 3rd, 2018, 2:06 pm

Well everyone was a right to their opinions.

We cant say 100% a team will win or lose a game they never played or get to play. The goal of the playoffs was to let the teams decide who is best, this year that wasnt the case 100%

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Lol konjo you must be getting paid by cbssports, ESPN, fox sports, since you are the only person saying they should have made it into the playoffs. The committee got it right this year. That’s pretty much the end of discussion.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » January 3rd, 2018, 2:36 pm

The committee did their job right this year but the system has it wrong.  There is no feasible path to a group of 5 team winning a National Title. First off, UCF would have had to schedule 4 power 5 non-conference opponents to have a schedule to justifying them making the playoff. Beyond that, 2 of those 4 teams would have had to be a perennial power like Georgia or Florida State or Alabama. Beyond that, they would have played those 4 non-conference games on the road because we all know that a formidable power 5 team isn’t going to schedule a road game or home-and-home series with a group of 5 opponent. So how is UCF supposed to fund their athletic department playing 4 home games? They can’t do it. Therefore, it is mathematically impossible for a group of 5 team to make the playoff.

What college basketball does so right, college football does so wrong. In basketball, we get VCU or George Mason making a run through the bluebloods to play in the final 4. We get Davidson going to the elite 8 with a diamond in the rough recruit in Steph Curry. We get Duke being knocked out by Lehigh. 

The money is too great in college football and the 15-20 true blue bloods want to create a system that shelters themselves and only allows those teams to truly compete for a national title. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 3rd, 2018, 2:42 pm

Ive seen plenty of people online who are arguing for UCF. Not saying they are a majority, they arent.

ABPK just said it perectly too. IMO almost any top 15 - top 10 has a realistic shot at beating one another in any given game.

The perfrect system would be 10 conference champions and 6 at large teams or maybe even just 2 at large teams and have byes but limiting it to top 4 is always going to cause questions or concerns.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » January 3rd, 2018, 2:51 pm

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Lol konjo you must be getting paid by cbssports, ESPN, fox sports, since you are the only person saying they should have made it into the playoffs. The committee got it right this year. That’s pretty much the end of discussion.

According to the committee the past two years it is almost better to not play a conference championship game as a 1 loss team rather than playing in one. Both years a team got in after not qualfying for their conference championship game.
If wisconsin didnt play ohio state would they of been in? Probably
Auburn was ranked ahead of bama and georgia before playing their conference championship game

Return to “College and Professional Sports”