Steelers vs. Patriots

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Steelers vs. Patriots

Postby konjo78 » December 17th, 2017, 7:33 pm

and with a NFL losing viewers this happens. That play alone will hurt viewership for casual people the rest of the year.

If i was rooney, tomlin and the org I would want a SIT down with the NFL like they always love to have sit down for players when they are wrong.

• Advertisement
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » December 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

12HankQB wrote:I think the rule is just wrong. Has the ball, knee is down, crosses the plane. He has clear possession and the clear turn to reach for the end zone is a football move. Rewrite the rule

As much as I agree, as a Steeler fan this "rule" or type of play is flawed. But they did rewrite the rule for this season and took out the "football move" aspect, meaning that you're either an established runner or going to the ground. He hadn't established himself as a runner so he has to complete the catch to the ground by rule, which sucks. They most likely changed the rule to avoid the arguing of what is a football move and what isn't, but it clearly hasn't made anything easier.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 17th, 2017, 8:40 pm

My thing now is I do not see a clear angle where the ball is on the ground. Nothing conclusive to overturn it

CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » December 17th, 2017, 8:58 pm

konjo78 wrote:My thing now is I do not see a clear angle where the ball is on the ground. Nothing conclusive to overturn it

He catches the ball and has control. Then he reaches for the goal line and has control. When his elbow makes contact with the ground. His left hand slips off the ball, but it still looks like he’s still in control of the ball. He still has possession of it. It’s not like it bounced out or anything like that. Not enough to be over turned in my opinion. That last 3 minutes just made me sick. 

CrazyTrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CrazyTrain » December 17th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Does anyone have a problem with Big Ben going for the win or should he have spiked it and went for the field goal to go to OT?
I don’t have a problem with it. Why give Brady another chance in OT. Try to end it. Just bad luck it got intercepted. If goes incomplete you still got time for a field goal. 

FunFacts
Freshman
Freshman

Postby FunFacts » December 17th, 2017, 11:04 pm

konjo78 wrote:My thing now is I do not see a clear angle where the ball is on the ground. Nothing conclusive to overturn it

The sky view clearly shows his left hand off the ball and the ball moving. Dumb rule but it was the correct call.  Seen it with Detroit-Johnson and Dallas-Dez the last few years cost them games as well.  

Ballislyfe
Junior
Junior

Postby Ballislyfe » December 18th, 2017, 12:29 am

If you told me that we would b in that game w seconds left, let alone leading most of the time Without brown(our best offensive threat) minus Haden(our best cover guy) and minus our best defensive player in Shazier, I would’ve laughed. Get brown back hopefully for playoffs and Haden I like our shot. Heck we almost beat them without those 3. Bell had a great game. Sucks that td was overturned. And I’m guessing by Tomlins reaction Ben did that fake snap on his own(I didn’t see post game conference to find out) but throwing it away at that point would’ve been better. Send Boswell our for 3 and go to OT. I have a feeling Steelers Patriots is gonna have a part 2. And I hope we get a little healthier by then!!

d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby d6footballfan » December 18th, 2017, 7:12 am

[quote="CCDevil2012"][quote="12HankQB"]I think the rule is just wrong. Has the ball, knee is down, crosses the plane. He has clear possession and the clear turn to reach for the end zone is a football move. Rewrite the rule[/quote]
As much as I agree, as a Steeler fan this "rule" or type of play is flawed. But they did rewrite the rule for this season and took out the "football move" aspect, meaning that you're either an established runner or going to the ground. He hadn't established himself as a runner so he has to complete the catch to the ground by rule, which sucks. They most likely changed the rule to avoid the arguing of what is a football move and what isn't, but it clearly hasn't made anything easier.[/quote]

The only thing worse than a bad call is when you hear or read supposed supporters taking the moral high ground and issuing justification responses supporting a bad call. Football plays are made very week breaking the touchdown plane, and then even being batted out of possession are upheld as a touchdown all of the time! This one instance however it was the Patriots, who get these kinds of calls all of the time. Ask the Oakland Raiders what they think of bad calls against the Patriots; remember when Brady's arm was ruled "going forward" and it wasn't a fumble? Officials should not be determining outcomes of games, especially ones of this magnitude. ICYMI, take anther look at that holding call a few series earlier against Pitt. That call also cost Pitt dearly and occurred at a very critical moment when Pitt was on the move to put the game out of reach. Not one holding call though called against New England however the entire game, just because they are just so good at blocking for Brady that they just dont commit any holds. Really???

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » December 18th, 2017, 8:00 am

It's not a moral high ground, it's just the rule, crossing the plane is irrelevant if you don't have possession through the catch. It was admirable that he reached for the goal line but he should have secured the catch first. I think Johnson's overturned TD in 2015 was worse. 
This is the rule, 
**Item 1. Player Going to the Ground.** 
A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » December 18th, 2017, 8:07 am

I think we understand what the rule is. It's just not a good rule. Especially with a football move being made and nobody touching him
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Return to “College and Professional Sports”