Steelers vs. Patriots

The name says it all!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Steelers vs. Patriots

Postby CCDevil2012 » December 18th, 2017, 11:56 am

What sucks is that Brandin Cooks TD catch for the Pats against the Texans was ruled a TD and the ball came out. The rule sucks and they're inconsistent when enforcing it.

• Advertisement
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 18th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Reading the rule i see intitial contact with the ground, that would be his knee right? He potentially loses control way after the initial contact so that rule cant be used there

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » December 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm

I think the initial contact means the first movement to the ground. If that was the case think about how many catches would be on diving plays because their elbows hit first etc. The gray area IMO is when the ball is caught cleanly without bobble. He caught the ball cleanly and if he is anywhere but the goaline he would have just went to the ground no problem. It only came out because he was trying to extend the play. He wasn't bobbling it while reaching for the end zone 

TylerRose
Senior
Senior

Postby TylerRose » December 18th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Earl34, that's hilarious, as you can see from my handle TylerRose, I too was an Oiler/Campbell fan back in the day....now Steelers

BlueYonder
Junior
Junior

Postby BlueYonder » December 18th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I think in this case they interpreted the rule correctly and James had to secure the catch all the way to the ground, without losing control while the ball touched the ground.  My only issue is in order to overturn it, they had to be sure (indisputable) that he lost control - while the ball touched the ground.  He had his right hand under the ball the entire time.  I don't know that they can say - without question - that he lost control while the ball touched the ground.  I just don't know that they can overturn it. 
The rule is in place so that they have an objective way to determine if there is a catch or not.  We all know he actually caught the ball (from a common sense point of view).  My suggestion is that they change the rule to say the receiver has to have possession of it for a certain period of time (say 1.0 seconds).  That is even more objective as to whether the catch was made than the current rule and it is probably more appropriate.  If the rule includes a time period, then you wont have judgement calls by the replay officials - it will be black and white.

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » December 19th, 2017, 7:00 am

I say get rid of replay.  It has never worked as intended.  Mistakes happen.  Take all that money spent on replay and invest it into referee training and pay to get and train the best.  Then accept the fact that human error is part of the game like it was for 70 years before replay.  

BlueYonder
Junior
Junior

Postby BlueYonder » December 24th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Watching the Bills-Patriots.  Kelvin Benjamin catches a touchdown with 2 seconds left before the half (on a play where he was mugged by the DB but no PI was called).  He dragged his feet and the replay appeared that he had both feet down and the ball was controlled.  They called a TD on the field.  They replayed it and said there was no catch.  I feel confident that they would have had said it was too close to overturn if the Pats were the ones who caught the ball.  There is no question in my mind that the Pats get the calls.  There is a different set of rules for one team in the league. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 24th, 2017, 2:54 pm

There was even photographer pictures coming out this week showing James always had his hand under the ball during last weeks play... Just a wack job the nfl does with all this stuff!!

Not to mention Aaron Rodgers and the packers getting a pass for breaking nfl rules too

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » December 24th, 2017, 4:07 pm

BlueYonder wrote:Watching the Bills-Patriots.  Kelvin Benjamin catches a touchdown with 2 seconds left before the half (on a play where he was mugged by the DB but no PI was called).  He dragged his feet and the replay appeared that he had both feet down and the ball was controlled.  They called a TD on the field.  They replayed it and said there was no catch.  I feel confident that they would have had said it was too close to overturn if the Pats were the ones who caught the ball.  There is no question in my mind that the Pats get the calls.  There is a different set of rules for one team in the league. 

Agreed, today is just proof. Clearly nothing to overturn that call. Completely changed the game
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 24th, 2017, 4:45 pm

How about this stat... The Patriots have 29 different scoring drives this year that have be extended by a third down defensive flag. The highest amount for any team in the league

Return to “College and Professional Sports”