Pitt Football Offseason/Recruiting

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Pitt Football Offseason/Recruiting

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 22nd, 2017, 1:00 pm

knowitall wrote:It took Dave Wannstedt years to get Pitt back to the level Walt Harris has it at when he was replaced.  Dave Wannstedt also had the luxury of coaching in the Bad East (or was it the Big Least?).  Had he not been a Pitt football player at one time no one would care that he is gone.  It’s high time Pitt fans get over his loss.

I think just about everyone is over him being gone. He's not nearly as bad as you think he was is pretty much the argument.  Pitt was a play away from the Sugar Bowl under him.  That's pretty good, considering the four years after he left they went 6-6 four straight years.  
The past is the past now, and I think Pitt has a fairly good coach that has a chance to be pretty good. 

• Advertisement
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » December 22nd, 2017, 1:08 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
abpk2903 wrote:  You do realize that these schedules are built to give you at least 3 wins out of the gate, right. .  

You said out of the gate, Pitt played two top 10 teams out of the gate. That's what I referring to. 

No, I meant the schedule is set up to give you 3 wins. Not necessarily right away. There is little excuse for any P5 teams not to get to 3 or 4 wins. Which 95% of the teams did last year. 

Colonel Mustard
Junior
Junior

Postby Colonel Mustard » December 22nd, 2017, 7:33 pm

The Big East was really weak when Wanny was coaching, and Pitt still didn't dominate.  And they were maddeningly conservative during the Wanny years. Has any team punted on 3rd down since he was fired? Great guy, but I was not the only one that wasn't sad to see him go. My problem was that they had no plan in place to replace him. If you are going to fire a mildly successful coach, you'd better have an ace in the hole. Unfortunately Pitt only had the hole.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 22nd, 2017, 8:52 pm

Colonel Mustard wrote:The Big East was really weak when Wanny was coaching, and Pitt still didn't dominate.

Yes and no.  I agree Pitt should have had some more success at times but WVU was a perennial top 10 team in those years and it wasn't a fluke either. Louisville was solid.  Cincinnati, Rutgers, and USF all had good teams here and there.  
It was weaker than other conferences but it was a pretty good league at the very top at least. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 22nd, 2017, 9:21 pm

I mean was the big east really weaker than the ACC at that time? That was before fsu, clemson took off. I think the top teams were Va tech, g tech and bc? I would of called the Big east the better conference back then.

Colonel Mustard
Junior
Junior

Postby Colonel Mustard » December 22nd, 2017, 10:11 pm

The Big East was much weaker than the ACC is now, so were Wanny's 9 wins better than Natduzzi's 8?

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » December 22nd, 2017, 11:29 pm

The Big East with Miami and Virginia Tech was at worst equal to the ACC.  The two conferences should have probably just merged at that point.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 22nd, 2017, 11:31 pm

I think he meant the Big East of 10 years ago vs. ACC of 10 years ago. Not present day ACC.

Present day ACC is a pretty good league, it's obviously better than the Old Big East. 

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » December 22nd, 2017, 11:40 pm

Once Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College left the Big East the ACC was unquestionably the better conference

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 23rd, 2017, 12:12 am

Present day ACC is stronger than present day Big 10.

Back then Id say the ACC was even with the big east. Big east was way more top heavy but the acc had one or two more quality teams, but they also had more schools.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”