Pitt Football Offseason/Recruiting

The name says it all!
CoachFranklin
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Pitt Football Offseason/Recruiting

Postby CoachFranklin » December 23rd, 2017, 11:55 am

Question for Pitt fans. Why didn’t MacVittie get a chance last year? I always thought he was very talented, he played for a great high school team in Ohio in a very tough league. 6’4 215 and very athletic, I thought he would be their QB of the future. I also don’t understand Pitt fans obsession with Kenny Pickett and how they hated Max Browne so much and acted like he was the worst QB in the entire country. He had a 71% completion percentage, and threw 5 TD’s to only 2 picks. Pickett’s completion percentage was 59% and he only threw 1 TD. Granted it was in less time but I still don’t understand how Pitt fans think he is so good after one game. I thought he was either the third/fourth best QB on their roster last year. Also no idea why Henderson is going pro, Whitehead I can see. O’Neill should’ve stayed but is pretty good. I thought Bookser was better when he wasn’t driving around Pittsburgh drunk eluding officers. Aston back next year will help, but losing Weah, Henderson, plus three starting lineman will hurt. Their defense will be pretty good especially at LB. Their recruiting class is not very good, at all. I believe 10th in the ACC. A lot of the guys they signed did not have very good offers other than Marquis Williams, Tyler Bentley, Zubobvic, Kradel, and Jacques-Louis. I don’t see them competing for an ACC championship anytime soon unless they start recruiting better consistently

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 23rd, 2017, 12:38 pm

CoachFranklin wrote:Question for Pitt fans. Why didn’t MacVittie get a chance last year? I always thought he was very talented, he played for a great high school team in Ohio in a very tough league. 6’4 215 and very athletic, I thought he would be their QB of the future. I also don’t understand Pitt fans obsession with Kenny Pickett and how they hated Max Browne so much and acted like he was the worst QB in the entire country. He had a 71% completion percentage, and threw 5 TD’s to only 2 picks. Pickett’s completion percentage was 59% and he only threw 1 TD. Granted it was in less time but I still don’t understand how Pitt fans think he is so good after one game. I thought he was either the third/fourth best QB on their roster last year. Also no idea why Henderson is going pro, Whitehead I can see. O’Neill should’ve stayed but is pretty good. I thought Bookser was better when he wasn’t driving around Pittsburgh drunk eluding officers. Aston back next year will help, but losing Weah, Henderson, plus three starting lineman will hurt. Their defense will be pretty good especially at LB. Their recruiting class is not very good, at all. I believe 10th in the ACC. A lot of the guys they signed did not have very good offers other than Marquis Williams, Tyler Bentley, Zubobvic, Kradel, and Jacques-Louis. I don’t see them competing for an ACC championship anytime soon unless they start recruiting better consistently

Max Browne was fine. He wasn't great, but they would have been in a bowl if he stayed healthy.  Ben DiNucci was terrible, and he cost Pitt multiple wins this season. Tom MacVittie was also terrible.  He didn't get a chance because he's bad, and that is the nice way of putting it, had he stayed at Pitt he probably would have been moved to tight end.  Kenny Pickett is pretty talented, you could see it in the Spring game, and you could tell in the last two games as well. In his only significant playing experience, he nearly beat Va Tech on the road and upset the #2 undefeated team at home. 

Give me one fan base in the country that could have a freshman QB beat the #2 in the country in his first career start and it wouldn't be obsessed with him?  That fan base doesn't exist. He didn't just beat Miami, he looked dang good doing it. 

Nobody quite understands Henderson's decision, it's probably the wrong one however you look at it.  Whitehead and O;Neil will both get drafted in pretty good spots, makes total sense for them to leave. 

As far as the offense next year, they bring back the top 2 Running Backs, 4/5 top receivers, the starting tight end, 2 returning linemen and a promising young QB.  I'm not convinced it'll be a great offense, but I don't think it's a dire situation. 

As far as some of Pitt's commitments. In addition to Jacques-Louis, Williams, Bentley, Zubovic and Kradel.
-- Devin Danielson had offers from Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan State, Louisville, and WVU. He's actual Pitt's best recruit IMO. 
-- Judson Tallandier had offers from Georgia, Arizona, NC State, Maryland, and Kentucky, not bad. 
--  John Morgan had offers from Maryland, Penn State, Virginia Tech.
-- David Green had offers from Va Tech and WVU.
-- Chase Brown had offers from TCU, Tennessee, Va Tech, Minnesota, and WVU
-- Wendell Davis had a Michigan State offer. 

Pitt's recruiting ranking is being hurt to an extent because it's small. But I don't have a problem with anyone. 15/16 guys choose Pitt over multiple power 5 offers.  I only see one reach.  It's a fairly good class.  If Kradel, Williams, and Danielson got bumped to four-star it might look better on paper. 

CoachFranklin
Freshman
Freshman

Postby CoachFranklin » December 23rd, 2017, 1:35 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
CoachFranklin wrote:Question for Pitt fans. Why didn’t MacVittie get a chance last year? I always thought he was very talented, he played for a great high school team in Ohio in a very tough league. 6’4 215 and very athletic, I thought he would be their QB of the future. I also don’t understand Pitt fans obsession with Kenny Pickett and how they hated Max Browne so much and acted like he was the worst QB in the entire country. He had a 71% completion percentage, and threw 5 TD’s to only 2 picks. Pickett’s completion percentage was 59% and he only threw 1 TD. Granted it was in less time but I still don’t understand how Pitt fans think he is so good after one game. I thought he was either the third/fourth best QB on their roster last year. Also no idea why Henderson is going pro, Whitehead I can see. O’Neill should’ve stayed but is pretty good. I thought Bookser was better when he wasn’t driving around Pittsburgh drunk eluding officers. Aston back next year will help, but losing Weah, Henderson, plus three starting lineman will hurt. Their defense will be pretty good especially at LB. Their recruiting class is not very good, at all. I believe 10th in the ACC. A lot of the guys they signed did not have very good offers other than Marquis Williams, Tyler Bentley, Zubobvic, Kradel, and Jacques-Louis. I don’t see them competing for an ACC championship anytime soon unless they start recruiting better consistently

Max Browne was fine. He wasn't great, but they would have been in a bowl if he stayed healthy.  Ben DiNucci was terrible, and he cost Pitt multiple wins this season. Tom MacVittie was also terrible.  He didn't get a chance because he's bad, and that is the nice way of putting it, had he stayed at Pitt he probably would have been moved to tight end.  Kenny Pickett is pretty talented, you could see it in the Spring game, and you could tell in the last two games as well. In his only significant playing experience, he nearly beat Va Tech on the road and upset the #2 undefeated team at home. 

Give me one fan base in the country that could have a freshman QB beat the #2 in the country in his first career start and it wouldn't be obsessed with him?  That fan base doesn't exist. He didn't just beat Miami, he looked dang good doing it. 

Nobody quite understands Henderson's decision, it's probably the wrong one however you look at it.  Whitehead and O;Neil will both get drafted in pretty good spots, makes total sense for them to leave. 

As far as the offense next year, they bring back the top 2 Running Backs, 4/5 top receivers, the starting tight end, 2 returning linemen and a promising young QB.  I'm not convinced it'll be a great offense, but I don't think it's a dire situation. 

As far as some of Pitt's commitments. In addition to Jacques-Louis, Williams, Bentley, Zubovic and Kradel.
-- Devin Danielson had offers from Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan State, Louisville, and WVU. He's actual Pitt's best recruit IMO. 
-- Judson Tallandier had offers from Georgia, Arizona, NC State, Maryland, and Kentucky, not bad. 
--  John Morgan had offers from Maryland, Penn State, Virginia Tech.
-- David Green had offers from Va Tech and WVU.
-- Chase Brown had offers from TCU, Tennessee, Va Tech, Minnesota, and WVU
-- Wendell Davis had a Michigan State offer. 

Pitt's recruiting ranking is being hurt to an extent because it's small. But I don't have a problem with anyone. 15/16 guys choose Pitt over multiple power 5 offers.  I only see one reach.  It's a fairly good class.  If Kradel, Williams, and Danielson got bumped to four-star it might look better on paper. 

It would of  been nice to see Henderson come back and bounce back for his senior season. Pitt has some pretty good running backs and with Aston, they should be able to run the ball very well against anyone next year. Ollison is a big back and Hall runs very hard. Throw in Sibley, Moss, and A.J. Davis and they might have the best running back group in the conference. I thought Weah would’ve had a better year than what he did but he was still very productive. Chris Clark is very good and will have another good year. They have some good young lineman in Warren, Drake Jr, Morgan, and Ford. They always play very tough on both sides of the ball and are a few plays away from being two-three wins better. They should be very good in the front 7 next year as they bring back everyone and all 3 starting LB’s in Idowu, Zeise (spelling), & Brightwell. Dane Jackson, Ford, and Hamlin are all good players in the back end. I could see an 8-4/9-3 year if everything goes their way. They have talent, and play hard. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 23rd, 2017, 2:06 pm

Moss actually was kicked off the team, he's going to a D2 school next year.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » December 23rd, 2017, 4:21 pm

Pitt fans are like most fan bases. Crimson and some others discussed this in another thread. Pitt fans coming off a 5-7 team seem to think they can get to 7, 8, even 9 wins next year. Just as most Penn State fans seem to think they can plug some huge holes (entire center of the defense) and get back into the top 10.

Reality if the situation, IMO, is both teams got some major issues next year.

If you were take the fandom out of the evaluation, there just isn’t a lot of reasons I see for optimism. They lose 3 of their 5 starting OL and the 6th guy in the rotation. They lose 3 of the top 4 playmakers on the outside (when you include Whitehead). They lose 2 of the 3 TEs on the depth chart. They are basically starting a freshman QB.   That offensive staff better be miracle workers. Defensively they should be good but they lose their top 2 DBs. In 2018, you need to be able to score and defend the pass. 

BlueYonder
Junior
Junior

Postby BlueYonder » December 24th, 2017, 9:20 am

In college football, if you have a good QB coming back that will further develop, there should be plenty of optimism even if you are losing a lot of other players on the offense.  Although I am optimistic about Pickett, there is an "if" there with him as he is still young, he has only played a little more than two games, we don't know for sure he will further develop, and he could get injured.  But - if he will be better next year than what he showed at the end of this past season, they could be very good on offense.  They are not a Top Ten team but one could be optimistic thinking 7, 8, or 9 wins.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 24th, 2017, 9:56 am

Well it's all how you look at things, you can either say they lose two defensive backs, or they are returning two defensive backs.  You can make any argument you want to make.  Dane Jackson was better than Avonte Maddox last year, and he's back at corner. I know that he was better than Maddox, but not everyone might not know that.

So while fandom may lead to some biases, it may also lead to knowing one team better than the other.

I think PSU is going 8-4ish next year on the surface, but I'm sure many PSU fans will tell me they'll be 11-1. Some may be speaking with their heart, but some might know some things I don't know.

I don't watch enough PSU football to know, but as I said in a different thread when you see 8 defensive starters and the three best offensive weapons leaving, it looks like it would be pretty hard to replace them on the surface to any outsider.

Colonel Mustard
Junior
Junior

Postby Colonel Mustard » December 24th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Pitt has a tough schedule next year. 6 or 7 wins if things go well.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » December 28th, 2017, 10:40 am

Matt Canada is out as OC at LSU. Any rumors as to where we may land? 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 28th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Doesn't sound like he's an easy guy to work with. Bounces around a lot.  He was perfect at Pitt. Him and Narduzzi were friends and he let him run his offense without supervision.  Seemed like Oregeron wanted to be involved a little too much and they clashed heads. 

Return to “College and Professional Sports”