Penn State vs Indiana Basketball

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Penn State vs Indiana Basketball

Postby El-Moldo » January 15th, 2018, 11:11 pm

PSU should be winning at home every chance they get, especially with Minnesota playing without 2 starters and on a 3 game losing streak. Still got to play Minne, Wisconsin and Nebraska away, and games with Michigan, MSU, Purdue, and 2 games with Ohio State.

• Advertisement
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » January 16th, 2018, 4:11 am

El-Moldo wrote:We've seen it before. We'll see it again. PSU loses to Minnesota by 9 in overtime tonight at the BJC. Only 5 different players scored for the Nits. Jamari Wheeler played 22 minutes. No points. 3 others less than 10 minutes total. Several starters playing over 40 minutes. In an overtime game, there are 225 total minutes played ( 5 X 45 ). Bench responsible for about 35 minutes playing time tonight.

And Minnesota's starters played even more minutes including one that played all 45. Bench played even less minutes. Didn't seem to affect them in OT.

Yes they lost yet another winnable game and aren't a very deep team, even less so with Reaves out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 16th, 2018, 6:49 am

I love the fact that pitt basketball is so bad you have to talk penn state basketball.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » January 16th, 2018, 6:50 am

This isn't monkey see, monkey do. We aren't talking about the Gophers. They were playing on the road with TWO players missing. They had little choice. How long is Chambers gonna cry about Reaves? You got about 8 guys on the bench, right? Carr gets 33 points, and only 4 other guys score in an overtime game?

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » January 16th, 2018, 8:05 am

There’s teams like that every year in college basketball. The only reason you’re making a big deal about it is it’s at penn state.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » January 16th, 2018, 11:56 am

My point is the minutes argument is irrelevant. Having a 7 man rotation is pretty normal across the country. U say we aren't talking about the Gophers. Why because it totally deflates ur argument? They can go on the road and win an OT game with starters playing the entire game but PSU is losing cuz their starters are playing too many minutes??? And yeah missing arguably the best perimeter defender in the conference is a pretty big deal in games that are being decided by a possession or two. I'm with ya that they are not winning games they should and are underachieving but I don't think the minutes has anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 16th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Yeah some of Jim Boeheim's best teams only go 6-7 deep. And he's a hall of fame coach, so something must be working there. 

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » January 16th, 2018, 8:23 pm

...I see your point about minutes being irrelevant. But we're talking about Penn State, who struggles each and every year to have a .500 record. You play your starters too much for 25 games or so, and then, with 6 games to go, the starters peter out and lose 4 out of 6, dropping below .500 and don't even make the NIT field. They got to learn to pace themselves, get those starters some rest, and get the subs some practice and experience. It will pay off as the season winds down.
...As far as Boeheim is concerned, he can get away with 6-7 players. Look at the difference in his talent. Usually by now, Syracuse is 18-3. How can you compare the Orange to the Nits?

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » January 16th, 2018, 8:36 pm

He wasn't comparing the teams in terms of talent, just the fact that the Orange usually have a short bench.

Talent and physical stamina are mutually exclusive.

IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby IHeartFootball2 » January 16th, 2018, 8:48 pm

I can’t understand how penn state can’t have a good basketball team. I mean they are good in almost every other sport & even went out to get the best, most well know wrestler and got him away from his almamater.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”