College Hoops

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: College Hoops

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 10th, 2018, 9:34 am

I don’t really see how Boston College and Pitt are relative situations.  BC has been running in mediocrity for years now, and they didn’t replace one of the games best coaches with a guy that was about to be fired at his previous job.  

Yeah Thad Matta’s health is the big concern. But if he’s healthy. He’s a top 15 coach in college basketball.  He’d be a no brained decision.  

• Advertisement
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » March 10th, 2018, 10:29 am

There’s a problem right there.  Pitt and BC are equals.  They are Northern schools playing in a Southern conference.  Syracuse has been a 500 school for a few years in the ACC now too.

I suppose Pitt can give Matta a chance.  Matta, 50, incidentally wasn’t about to be fired at his current job.  He was fired from his last job. I suppose he could be given a chance at Pitt though.  If he succeeds, great. If not, they can hire someone else.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 10th, 2018, 10:32 am

Well, it was more of a mutually parting of ways. His back prevented him from doing the job. So I guess the hope is the year off did him well.

He has a stronger track record than Jamie Dixon, he'd be really good if he's healthy.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » March 10th, 2018, 10:37 am

Is it worth it to find out if he’s not?

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 10th, 2018, 10:42 am

I'm not saying "If they don't hire Thad Matta there's going to be riots in Oakland." He's a name that's floating around, and if he's up to it, he'd be the best candidate.

There's other good coaches I think they can land as well.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » March 10th, 2018, 10:11 pm

...I would like to thank knowitall first of all, for mentioning the Boston College situation over the last 3 years. Can't understand how Crimson doesn't see how "the BC and Pitt situations are relative", when they are mirror images of each other. BC has gone from a Sagarin ranking of 213 in 2016 (7-25 with NO wins in the ACC), to a ranking of 153 in 2017 with a record of 9-23, and NOW to a ranking of 75, 7-9 in the ACC. Is he telling us that this could not happen at Pittsburgh with Stallings. That comparisons are not relative here? Pitt is currently ranked 186th, MUCH better than BC's ranking at their lowest level in 2016, when they had NO conference wins.
...In Crimson' diatribe early this morning, he made some questionable statements. He stated that Pitt's loss to Duquesne in Stalling's first year "was inexcusable". Did he fail to mention that Jamel Artis did not play that night, serving a one game suspension. Wouldn't that be like Mike Watkins not playing a game for the Nits? Got to give credit to Stallings for taking care of the situation with Artis. It would have been so easy to let him play for the sake of a win, but he didn't.
...Crimson must have forgotten, during his praises of Dixon, that his Pitt team was 18-15 in 2015, and was ranked 79th by Sagarin that year. Did he see the end coming at that time? That same year, Stallings was guiding Vanderbilt to a ranking of 46, and a loss in the quarterfinals of the NIT. And while we're on the subject of Stallings last years at Vandy, Stallings team finished the 2016 season back in the NCAA Tournament. Their final season ranking was 27th according to Sagarin. Why in the heck would Vanderbilt let him go?
...And did Crimson care to mention that Stallings had nothing to do with the recruiting done in the spring of 2016, that he was using someone elses recruits. And that he did the best job he could of filling out his 2017 roster when almost his entire team disappeared after the 2016-2017 season. Did Crimson say anything about Stallings playing with the 2nd youngest roster in Division I NCAA basketball? Did Crimson say anything about Pitt having a SOS of 30 this past year?
... So I'll guess will HUNT for someone now who with give all of us instant gratification. We'll rise in the polls, climb in the conference standings, and fill up the Petersen Event Center again. Should we have let Stallings go? As Trump often says, "We'll see".

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 10th, 2018, 10:27 pm

yes. It wasn't even a debate. 

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » March 10th, 2018, 10:33 pm

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think keeping him was an option. Obviously it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 10th, 2018, 11:19 pm

We can argue until everyone is blue in the face, but they reached a point of no return with him. Hopefully they make a smarter hire this time. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » March 10th, 2018, 11:32 pm

This was all due to hanging on to Jamie dixon a few seasons too long... Maybe Pitt could of Brought in Brad stevens before leaving for Boston, or plenty of other top coaches that have moved.

Stallings 2017 was basically coming for pitt no matter who was at the helm because the program was nose diving for years now....

Its now hit rock bottom and its time to start brand new as it cant get any worse

Return to “College and Professional Sports”