College Hoops

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: College Hoops

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 28th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Manfred wrote:Why is there a limit on number of visits per year?  You conceivably could visit the same kid 20 times and he could still say NO.  Thats kind of not fair.

konjo is referring to official visits.  Each school can only host so many "official visits" in a given cycle.  An official visit is when a prospective recruit and a guardian visits the school on the school's dime.  Their travel, hotel, and food is paid for, and typically the red carpet is rolled out for them. 

He is also referring to how Pitt and Kevin Stallings used ALOT of official visits under Stallings, thus leaving the new coach with few to start with before the cycle refreshes in the Fall. There is a rule in place that gives new head coaches a break on that, and he will be credited with a few more if needed.  So it's not that big of a deal. 

Also you can't visit the same kid 20 times, there's restrictions on how much a coach can have contact with a recruit, and that especially goes for the head coach.  

• Advertisement
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » March 29th, 2018, 8:46 am

Why do you think most top 100 recruits take all 5 of their official visits even after committing verbally to a school?  Because it sounds fun as hell.   I'm sure these schools all make sure the food is 5*, the girls are 5*, the plane ride is smooth, and the parties are popping.  I am pretty sure Parsons never actually took an official at Penn State because he could drive there anytime that he wished.  He used his officials to visit schools all across the country that would have been very hard to afford to visit without the school paying.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » March 29th, 2018, 9:01 am

Last 2 posts very understandable. It was konjo's post that made me think of when a recruiter (coach) is first interested in a kid, comes to his home, goes to his games, calls, etc. BEFORE those 5 'official' visits kick in. Thats why I used an arbitrary number like 20, because it's slightly absurd. A new incoming Coach should NOT have to be penalized for whatever the previous one did or didn't do.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » March 29th, 2018, 9:03 am

Moldo, I don't see the issue with a coach taking a nap.  Could you imagine the schedule's these coaches have?  They have a practice at 5-7 am, review tape from 7 am to 10 am, staff meetings until 1 pm, get on a plane by 2 pm and arrive at a recruits home by 5 pm, pretend you enjoy the recruit's momma's cooking up until 6:30 pm, then you head to a hot, humid, high school gymnasium to get to watch a 35 point blowout by two teams you can give a rat's **** about.  You can bet your last dollar I would fall asleep too.   Brady Hoke also was accused of sleeping on recruit's couches when he was ousted at Michigan.
As for Harbaugh, I think this is the last year that B1G Football fans are going to have to deal with that sideshow.  He is the second highest paid coach in the country and struggles to be in the top half of his division.  I just don't see them closing the gap on all 3 schools in their division that have greatly outplayed them during his tenure.  They may beat Michigan State, or Penn State, or Ohio State but I really don't see them being able to beat 2 of the 3 (with Ohio State and Michigan State on the road) to win the division. 

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » March 29th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Nice run by PSU to win the NIT rather convincingly. Lamar Stevens with 28 tonight named tourney MVP. Carr ties NIT record with 14 assists and falls 1 rebound shy of a triple double. Shep Garner sets B1G single season record for 3s made. Nice springboard heading into the offseason. Here's hoping Carr comes back for his JR season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » March 29th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Looking at the teams selected in the tourney, like you Oklahomas, ucla, arizona st for me its clear this was one of the worst selected fields in a long time.

Yeah penn state won the NIT but there were atleast 5-6 bubble teams that had a significant better resume than some of the teams who made it in

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » March 30th, 2018, 7:53 am

I really think both major college sports (football and basketball) need to get away from "Selection Committees" which absolutely reek of corruption and instead they need to have pre-set qualifications before the season.  Look at how the state wrestling brackets are set up, 5 qualify from one region, 3 may qualify from another region, and so forth.  There is just no way to determine what conferences are strong and which conferences are weak based on a handful of OOC games that are played over Thanksgiving.  This is what you end up with.

I wish they would take the selection process out of the NCAA's hand and give it to each of the 32 conferences.  Let every team know before the season starts what they have to do to make the tournament.  Let the conferences ultimately select who get's their bid and then simply have a committee to seed the selections. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » March 30th, 2018, 10:01 am

The NCAA tournament was very exciting this year.  The selection committee did a good job IMO.  Don’t really see anything glaring that needs changed.  On occasion I’d rather see a mid major team with a good record then the 7th place Big 12 team.  But for the most part I think the tournament is usually selected pretty well. I think they usually get the 68 teams right, I think they could work on seeding however.  

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » April 2nd, 2018, 3:56 pm

Bad news for PSU today as Carr declares for draft and announces he will sign with an agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » April 2nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

This is also gonna hurt Chambers as he is involved in his contract extension.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”