NHL Playoffs

The name says it all!
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: NHL Playoffs

Postby 12HankQB » May 21st, 2018, 1:06 pm

That's bologna, you have a great goalie with a decent cast. Not an awful cast, but a pretty good one. These guys have also been able to make names for themselves. They weren't stars before, but they are now. Karlsson and Marchessault led the league in +/- and it wasn't even close with Reilly Smith right behind. Classic case of winning as a team and not riding on stars. I'll tell you one thing, this makes the NHL much better than having another team out in the desert that can't win. This has done nothing but boost the NHL fan base. All of Pittsburgh minus a few are rooting for Fleury and the rest of the former Pens. It's a perfect story.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 21st, 2018, 1:09 pm

Hockey seems like a sport where the best team doesn't always win, you can kind of get lucky and just play well and make a run. It's rare the top seed from each conference plays each other. I don't think it's detrimental to the league if Vegas wins it all, since it's a pretty unpredictable process.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » May 21st, 2018, 1:10 pm

Las Vegas-Tampa for the Stanley Cup is a perfect story?  Outside of Pittsburgh, who cares?

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » May 21st, 2018, 1:14 pm

knowitall wrote:Las Vegas-Tampa for the Stanley Cup is a perfect story?  Outside of Pittsburgh, who cares

Doesn't matter who plays Vegas, they're the story. Would rather them beat the Caps, but I've watched more games this year than I ever have before. I want this team to win. Like CG says, it's hockey....just make the playoffs and anything can happen during the grind. We played the Senators last year in the ECF.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 21st, 2018, 1:42 pm

I'd say over half the league isn't really all that compelling for ratings for the league. People that like hockey will watch, and those particular towns will get Stanley Cup fever.

The only big-time ratings the NHL will ever get is if Chicago wins the West and plays a team from the Northeast like Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston ect.

For example, the most viewed Stanley Cup since NBC has taken over in 2006 was the Boston/Chicago 2013 Final.

The worst have been...Anaheim-Ottawa, Carolina-Edmonton, and New Jersey-Los Angeles.

Most of the teams from the West won't be big TV draws. And teams from Canada won't be a big draw in the US.

Meanwhile, Florida could play Arizona in the SCF and most of Canada would still watch.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » May 21st, 2018, 2:25 pm

When the expansion fee was listed at $500 million and split between 30 ownership groups, you knew the NHL would have to put a quality product on the ice.

Theoretically, Vegas paid $16.5 million dollars for the 8th best player on each team’s roster.

With a team only being able to protect 7 skaters and 1 goalie, they got a top 6 forward or second line defensive pairing from every team. That is a lot of talent on 1 roster. 

Rumor has it that the next franchising fee (presumably Seattle) will be $650 million. Which will mean each franchise will receive about $21 million just to fork up 1 player from their roster. At that price, they are probably going to have even less protection than now.

I love MAF but I am not a fan of a 1st year team going to the SCFs. That is a black eye for the league. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » May 21st, 2018, 2:50 pm

Vegas being in finals is really great for the league. There is a new fanbase and market being hit, potentially for the first time in sports.

Honestly anyone upset about this really needs to take a look in the mirror. Their story is great and they didnt gain some ungodly advantage. They built a roster and worked their **** off to make finals like anyone else

Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Wrasslerfan » May 22nd, 2018, 1:35 am

knowitall wrote:Come on!  A first year team has no business making it to the championship in its first season.  None.  This can't make the NHL look good.

here we go with that stupid argument yet again
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » May 22nd, 2018, 1:02 pm

I never see things the same as knowitall but on this one, I sort of agree. 
They are playing with a roster of players that were developed by other teams.  They also have a lot of advantages that other teams in the league don’t have too. Like for instance you can find a handful of “bad contracts” on nearly every roster. These kill the depth up and down the roster.  Most big contracts include a no-movement clause which meant they couldn’t be shipped off to Vegas because the teams had to protect them with one of their 7 protected players.

Vegas has so much talent that players like Tomas Tatar and Josh Reaves bounce in and out of the lineup. These are guys that have been consistent top 6 forwards throughout the vast majority of their career. 

This isn’t the Cinderella story that has been marketed by the league and much of the media. They had a huge advantage over most of the previous expansion teams. 
The 1992 Lightning and Senators expansion protected 2 goalies and 14 skaters. 
The 1993 expansion of the Ducks and Panthers allowed protection for 1 goalie, 5 defense, 9 forwards, and ALL 1st and 2nd year pros. 
The 1998 Predators ,1999 Thrashers, and 2000 Blue Jackets/Wild protected ALL 1st and 2nd year players along with a goalie, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards or 2 goalies, 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards.

Under any of these rules, the Vegas Golden Knights don’t even sniff a player like Marc-Andre Fleury (unless they trade the Penguins a lot for him), Mark Methot, Davis Perron, James Neal, William Karlsom, Nate Schmidt, Cody Eakin, Clayton Stoner, or Oscar Lindberg. 

Not only that but teams had such good players exposed that they were actually trading additional players and draft picks just to guarantee certain players were selected. The Penguins traded a 2nd round pick just to be sure they selected Fleury. 

As soon as I seen this roster, I knew they would be a good hockey team. Maybe not this good but I definitely thought they would make the western conference playoffs. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » May 22nd, 2018, 1:26 pm

abpk2903 wrote:As soon as I seen this roster, I knew they would be a good hockey team. Maybe not this good but I definitely thought they would make the western conference playoffs. 

Admittedly I know very little about hockey. But it's interesting a lot of hockey pundits and Vegas sports books (who know more than a lot of people generally) picked them to be very bad.  So in that sense, I think they kind of are somewhat of a Cinderella story. The Vegas sports books are usually pretty darn good with mostly everything.  I think its somewhat significant that they were this wrong about the team.  

Return to “College and Professional Sports”