THE RACE TO 16 WINS

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: THE RACE TO 16 WINS

Postby konjo78 » May 2nd, 2018, 9:45 pm

DFFSBA wrote:
konjo78 wrote:That tripping call was no where near as bad as the one missed in the flyers series.... Watching it live it didnt seem to be a trip, but instead just a really bad turnover late

Except that tripping in the Flyers series wasn't, you know - tripping. 
Rule 91 - Tripping
(NOTE 2) If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player is unquestionably hook-checking the puck and obtains possession of it, thereby tripping the puck carrier, no penalty shall be imposed.
Tom Wilson is a goon, and needs to suspended.  I was ok with no suspension on the Dumolin hit, because Dumolin definitely changed direction.  Could have been lower on the body, but it is what it is.  However, the hit on ZAR was unquestionably illegal, unquestionably dirty, should have been a power play, and warrants a suspension for a repeat offender.  AND..... The Capitals scored a goal in the next 2 minutes after the hit, which likely wouldn't have happened if the Penguins were on a PP.  No doubt that hit, and the non-call, changed the outcome of Game 3.

Key work obtains possession of it.... Never did letang gain possession so thank you for proving me correct.

• Advertisement
PAMDGrappler
Freshman
Freshman

Postby PAMDGrappler » May 3rd, 2018, 9:54 am

Not only did Letang gain possession of the puck, he made an on-the-tape pass to Guentzel for a goal!

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » May 3rd, 2018, 10:47 am

PAMDGrappler wrote:Not only did Letang gain possession of the puck, he made an on-the-tape pass to Guentzel for a goal!

Ehh, that's not exactly true.....the pass went to Crosby first for the assist to Guentzel! Letang touched the puck before the trip occurred. Couturier didn't maintain possession through the ice...
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

DFFSBA
Freshman
Freshman

Postby DFFSBA » May 3rd, 2018, 11:41 am

12HankQB wrote:
PAMDGrappler wrote:Not only did Letang gain possession of the puck, he made an on-the-tape pass to Guentzel for a goal!

Ehh, that's not exactly true.....the pass went to Crosby first for the assist to Guentzel! Letang touched the puck before the trip occurred. Couturier didn't maintain possession through the ice...

Letang absolutely made the pass to Guentzel for the goal.  Not sure if Crosby touched the puck after Letang's initial contact with it, but after Letang hit the puck first, then Courtier's legs, the puck went along the boards where Crosby may have touched, but then Letang gained possession and passed it to Guentzel. Of course, Flyers fans are going to say it was tripping, and of course, Penguins fans are going to say it wasn't.  It was a judgement call by the ref based on the rule I posted earlier.  That said, whichever side of the argument you fall on, the officiating in the NHL playoffs has been atrocious as a whole.
Video of play

Back to the Wilson hit.  At that point the game was 3-2 Penguins.  If the officials call that a penalty, which it obviously was since he got a 3 game suspension, it's doubtful the Capitals score in the next 2 minutes because the Pens are on a PP.  If the Penguins end up losing this series in a game 6 or 7, I think we could look back on this play and legitimately argue that it cost the Penguins a chance at a 3rd straight cup.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » May 3rd, 2018, 11:59 am

DFFSBA wrote:
12HankQB wrote:

Letang absolutely made the pass to Guentzel for the goal.  Not sure if Crosby touched the puck after Letang's initial contact with it, but after Letang hit the puck first, then Courtier's legs, the puck went along the boards where Crosby may have touched, but then Letang gained possession and passed it to Guentzel. Of course, Flyers fans are going to say it was tripping, and of course, Penguins fans are going to say it wasn't.  It was a judgement call by the ref based on the rule I posted earlier.  That said, whichever side of the argument you fall on, the officiating in the NHL playoffs has been atrocious as a whole.
Video of play

Back to the Wilson hit.  At that point the game was 3-2 Penguins.  If the officials call that a penalty, which it obviously was since he got a 3 game suspension, it's doubtful the Capitals score in the next 2 minutes because the Pens are on a PP.  If the Penguins end up losing this series in a game 6 or 7, I think we could look back on this play and legitimately argue that it cost the Penguins a chance at a 3rd straight cup.

Oh yea I hate to see it again. I thought Crosby made the pass after Letang pushed it up.
Agreed
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » May 3rd, 2018, 12:58 pm

DFFSBA wrote:

If the Penguins lose this series it will be because they lost four games, not game three.  If they do lose, you can plan the pity party.

Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby 223113 » May 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm

6 down, 10 to go.

Lotta grit displayed in that game.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » May 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

Near the end of the game, Oshie launches off his skates at Letang. Replay showed both skates airborne. Launching to make a hit is a flagrant penalty, it wasn't called. The league needs to suspend him too- he's as much of a goon as Wilson, except he scores goals too.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

DFFSBA
Freshman
Freshman

Postby DFFSBA » May 4th, 2018, 9:40 am

Manfred wrote:Near the end of the game, Oshie launches off his skates at Letang.  Replay showed both skates airborne.  Launching to make a hit is a flagrant penalty, it wasn't called.  The league needs to suspend him too- he's as much of a goon as Wilson, except he scores goals too.

100% agree.  As a whole, the Capitals have been, and still are, the dirtiest team in the league.  Nothing will be done about the Oshie hit, but clearly should be.  Another example of how atrocious and inconsistent the NHL officiating is.

Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby 223113 » May 4th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Manfred wrote:Near the end of the game, Oshie launches off his skates at Letang.  Replay showed both skates airborne.  Launching to make a hit is a flagrant penalty, it wasn't called.  The league needs to suspend him too- he's as much of a goon as Wilson, except he scores goals too.

I almost came outta my skin when I saw that,...with No Call....unbelievable.  He displayed the very definition of Launching.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”