Bell Planning on sitting out games

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bell Planning on sitting out games

Postby konjo78 » September 5th, 2018, 5:50 pm

I am interested to see how Connor does this weekend. Usually when bell has been out the steelers offense is about the same stats, if not a little better.

• Advertisement
MrAnonymous
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrAnonymous » September 5th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
12HankQB wrote:I just don't understand. What does he get from sitting out now and during the regular season? It's not helping his stock at all. You won't get trade. Let him walk and bring in some more defense.

I think he's worried about taking too many carries this season before he's an unrestricted free agent in the offseason. At least that's the logic he's using.

Yes, 100%. His agent came flat out and said that earlier today. He said something along the lines of the Steelers know he will be gone next year so he’s worried that they’ll run him into the ground knowing he won’t be back anyway. 
It’s a bad situation for the team to be in, but I see his point as well. If he signs the tag, plays this year and gets injured he will be costing himself millions and millions of dollars in career earnings. Given the position he plays and the fact that he’s missed significant time due to injury in the past he would be taking a huge risk to play this season without a long term deal. If you look at it from his prospective he can sit out and will certainly get the money he wants from some team next year or he can play this year without a long term deal and if he gets injured he will have cost himself a HUGE amount of money. Hes a running back going into year 6 I think. He’s already towards the end of his career so he doesn’t want to risk getting hurt before getting his big payday. I get it....still sucks for the guys on the team who know they have a legitimate chance of winning a super bowl with him this season. They see that window closing without him hence the harsh words from guys today. 

wpbc
Junior
Junior

Postby wpbc » September 5th, 2018, 6:40 pm

The steelers couldn't trade him in the off season. He is not under contract. Not sure he's making the right move financially.  Reports were he was offered about 70 mil with around 30 guaranteed before the deadline. If he sits till week 10 he gives up about 8.5 guaranteed which the steelers get back for cap space. It doesn't matter to me, I got Connor on my fantasy team so I hope they give him 30 carries this week. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 5th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Conner was a low-key nice late round stash for fantasy. 

PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby PortagePride » September 5th, 2018, 7:34 pm

To be eligible for free agency for NEXT season he needs to be signed/eligible to play for SIX games this season. Look for him to come back after Week 11 against Jacksonville. He wants out of Pittsburgh and wants to contribute the LEAST amount possible to help them this season. I say starting in Week 12 you put him out there for every possible offensive down. However the only problem I see going forward with players now coming out and trashing him in the media IS do these lineman even want to block for this "man" anymore, they are paid to do so but you just never know.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » September 5th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Have him be the special teams player and earn back the trust. He should know his character will also deeply effect what teams will pay next season

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » September 5th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I feel that at this point, it's a nearly no win situation for Bell. Regardless of what happens, in addition to being a drug suspension liability he is now showing he's not a team player for a team that is championship good, let alone a bottom feeder. If he doesn't play he gets another year older, which typically doesn't help RB stock. If he does play, he will get ran into the ground. If Conner comes and plays lights out Bell's stock goes down because it will look like he was just the beneficiary of a good offensive system. He will lose no matter what IMO.

EaglealumsGhost
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby EaglealumsGhost » September 5th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Good!!!

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 5th, 2018, 9:28 pm

When Bell comes back he will likely be embraced by his union brothers.
Two years in a row Roger Clemens sat out until August.  I don’t think his teammates minded.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm

I think the Clemens and Bell situations aren't really similar.  Clemens was old and joined his hometown team in June for a few seasons under a pretty well understood agreement. That doesn't really sound the same. 

Return to “College and Professional Sports”