Bell Planning on sitting out games

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bell Planning on sitting out games

Postby konjo78 » September 6th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Anyone saying bell hasnt been able to negotiate his contract is just plain wrong. He has been offerred the best RB deal in the NFL 2 years straight and turned it down.

The problem most people are having now is he has 0 honesty. He said in july we will be back game 1 no question, now its becoming potentially week 10. If he just said that from the beginning people would not be as upset but he just lies time after time

• Advertisement
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » September 6th, 2018, 12:41 pm

say_oww wrote:Really???  Too many people make those kinds of comments over these types of situations - "he can join the regular workforce, he knew what he signed up for"!

Face it, it is a business decision.  A decision he has earned the right to make because he is blessed with talent, but also because he is performed at a level higher than anyone else in the league, and has earned the ability to make that kind of call.  The market allows a demand such as his, and the TEAM knew that as well.  After all, they slapped a tag on him which limited his options and his earning potential.  How would you like it if your boss, said you can only make X number of dollars this year, and if you don't like it you can't go anywhere else.  If you sit out a year then you still have to work for us.  And another thing, telling him to quit complaining is a really tired argument.  If you, me, or anyone else on this board had his attributes, talent, and skill, we'd trade places with him in a second.  But we don't, so any kind of condescension is kind of pointless. In other words, if you could run the ball as good as he does, maybe you'd be on the roster...  but you don't so be quiet! LOL!!!!

On a side note, will someone please explain why sports fans always take the side of the BILLIONAIRES in these types of negotiations???  

If we should not talk about it because we're not them then what's the point? You can't have an opinion because you can't possibly know! Blah blah. There's a salary cap and there's only so much to go around to the entire roster. This guy is selfish. You can only make 14 million, big difference between that and $14,000. He was offered a deal and turned it down because he believed he was worth much much more. It's his fault for being in this position, enough was never enough.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby say_oww » September 6th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Please, please, please do not use the salary cap argument.  The salary cap is a tool for owners to keep more of the money for themselves and make schlubs like us hate and pressure the guys who beat their bodies up week in and week out for a sport where the average career lasts 2.7 years.  You can be upset all you want but this is classic Steeler front office schtick.  Who really is the selfish one here?  Bell, the Steelers, or us because we want to see our team win games?

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » September 6th, 2018, 2:34 pm

say_oww wrote:Please, please, please do not use the salary cap argument.  The salary cap is a tool for owners to keep more of the money for themselves and make schlubs like us hate and pressure the guys who beat their bodies up week in and week out for a sport where the average career lasts 2.7 years.  You can be upset all you want but this is classic Steeler front office schtick.  Who really is the selfish one here?  Bell, the Steelers, or us because we want to see our team win games?

Ask his offensive linemen who's being selfish... I bet they don't say the fans.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » September 6th, 2018, 2:42 pm

ChrisKentRam wrote:
say_oww wrote:Please, please, please do not use the salary cap argument.  The salary cap is a tool for owners to keep more of the money for themselves and make schlubs like us hate and pressure the guys who beat their bodies up week in and week out for a sport where the average career lasts 2.7 years.  You can be upset all you want but this is classic Steeler front office schtick.  Who really is the selfish one here?  Bell, the Steelers, or us because we want to see our team win games?

Ask his offensive linemen who's being selfish... I bet they don't say the fans.

Yes, this is my point. There's others around him that don't make squat for the abuse they take. The salary cap is a beautiful thing. I wish baseball would go to this. The salary cap is why teams can rebuild year to year unlike decades in baseball.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 6th, 2018, 2:49 pm

say_oww wrote:Who really is the selfish one here?  Bell, the Steelers, or us because we want to see our team win games?

Fans are allowed to be selfish in my opinion, so I don't really put them into the equation. Most of us can't dream of 14 million dollars so to most of the fans: it seems silly they are parsing over a million or so dollars. That's very understandable if you ask me. 

But generally the bad guys are the owners, not the players.  Players make a lot of money, the owners are just flat-out rich.  There's a difference. But owners have always been able to get the pressure away from themselves in situations like this and make players look like the bad guy.  Le'veon Bell worked for his money, the Rooney family has been rich for generations.  Bell should be the likable guy. But the fans are on the side of the billionaire that inherited his money not the self-made millionaire.

Having said all that, I can see where his teammates are coming from at this point. They were all supportive of him leading up to this week for the most part.  All those guys would have been thrilled to death if Bell got the deal he wanted.  I'm sure most, if not all were pulling for him to get that big paycheck.  

But now that it's at the point that he can't negotiate until after the season, and how he said he was going to be back yesterday. I can where his teammates can now become frustrated. 

So I think everyone has a little blame in them as to why it got to this point, and everyone can be frustrated with how things played out. 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » September 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm

The owners/steelrs org offered him the biggest RB contract in the nfl, even more than what gurley ended up getting, and he turned it down. He is only to blame.

Maybe the steelers would be able to offer more if they knew he is 1 failed drug test away from being banned a whole season. Bell has performed but there is a lot of baggage in his history that pulls his top value down.

In my opinion I would pay gurley more money than bell because he is younger with less risk.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » September 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

One comment here, someone or someones, have tried comparing the blue collar working joe, like most of us were, or are, and comparing them to a multi-millionaire RB who doesn't want to play unless its for even more money. All my life, there have been periodic salary freezes in various fields of work, including the government. There are also legalities within some companies that should an employee want to leave because they aren't satisfied with their job, they CANNOT go to work for a competitor for one full year. Think about it.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » September 6th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Manfred wrote: There are also legalities within some companies that should an employee want to leave because they aren't satisfied with their job, they CANNOT go to work for a competitor for one full year.  Think about it.

Same with the NFL, if Bell doesn't report at all this season - he can't be a free agent in the offseason. 

EaglealumsGhost
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby EaglealumsGhost » September 6th, 2018, 6:15 pm

And if he shows up week 10, those first 10 weeks should Carry over until next November before he becomes a free agent

Return to “College and Professional Sports”