College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

Postby abpk2903 » January 2nd, 2019, 3:15 pm

I liked the decision.  Penn State was controlling the game and momentum that entire 4th quarter.  A redzone 4th and 7 with small passing lanes and a QB with a broken foot is probably not a high percentage conversion chance.  Kick the FG, keep the momentum.  With 3 timeouts, your defense had 2 full series of downs to get a stop and get the ball back with plenty of time for a FG attempt. Your defense is coming off of consecutive 3 and outs.  Maybe Kentucky was just better and made plays on their most important drive of their season. In sports, we always feel the need to blame in a loss.  

• Advertisement
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » January 2nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

My view of the situation was that the field goal killed momentum. I'd rather lean on the QB in that situation, especially with how the rest of the 4th quarter had gone. He was on fire, despite injury.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby abpk2903 » January 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

I would say the conversion percentage for a 4th and 7 inside the 15 yard line was probably less than 40%.  So the numbers say, you aren't getting it.  So then you are giving UK the ball with the same 4 minutes left on the clock but need a TD to win and no possibility for the tying FG. So now you are requiring your defense probably to get a 3 and out because instead of needing to save enough time for a 20-30 yard drive at a FG attempt, you need to save enough time to go the length of the field for a TD.  I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong but I don't understand the criticism for kicking a FG on 4th and 7.  That was a call that could go either way.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » January 2nd, 2019, 4:47 pm

I think it wasn't a bad decision, my only hold up if I were Franklin would have been my kicker going 0-2 before that point.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » January 2nd, 2019, 4:59 pm

It's a bowl game. You went for the punt fake earlier. Don't back down then, go for it and die with your boots on. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!! Unless you're the Browns....who I hate again
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

ss1082
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ss1082 » January 2nd, 2019, 6:32 pm

I agree Hank, QB on a roll, you're in a bowl game and Kentucky's starting corners had been shaken up a couple of plays earlier....go for it.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » January 2nd, 2019, 9:23 pm

Nits go from returning entire starting OL and DL to now having to replace 4 of them within 24 hours. Bates, McGovern, Givens and Miller all declare for draft. Was most surprised by Givens. Sanders still yet to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » January 2nd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Just read the AP article in today's Tribune about the game. Not one thing was mentioned about the fake punt or going for the field goal with 4 minutes left. Franklin blamed the loss on dropped balls and missed opportunities. As mentioned above, several players are bailing on PSU for next year.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » January 2nd, 2019, 9:42 pm

El-Moldo wrote:Just read the AP article in today's Tribune about the game. Not one thing was mentioned about the fake punt or going for the field goal with 4 minutes left. Franklin blamed the loss on dropped balls and missed opportunities. As mentioned above, several players are bailing on PSU for next year.

I would say dropping the ball on fake punt would be considered a missed opportunity. Drops stalled multiple drives. Thompkins had 3 alone. They got their degrees. They aren’t bailing. McGovern projected top 5 guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » January 2nd, 2019, 10:24 pm

Drops stalled multiple drives? Maybe that's why their WR coach was let go today. But notice Franklin took NO responsibility for losing the game. What happened to "the buck stops here"? Seems like someone always gets thrown under the bus.

Return to “College and Professional Sports”