Early Signing Day

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Early Signing Day

Postby Crimson's Ghost » February 16th, 2018, 10:53 am

Not a terribly big difference between low level FCS like the NEC and good D2 like PSAC.  Up until four years ago when St. Francis turned itself around, the Cal's and IUP's of the world probably would've beat them. IUP still might be able to.  

But as long as you are on scholarship, I wouldn't view the two landing spots as very different. 

• Advertisement
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » February 16th, 2018, 10:54 am

Star rankings are somewhat subjective.

They look at

-- size, speed strength
-- how good you are
-- type of competition you play
-- how you perform in camps
-- type of offers you get.

Lots of factors, but there's no exact science or definition.

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » February 16th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Not a terribly big difference between low level FCS like the NEC and good D2 like PSAC.  Up until four years ago when St. Francis turned itself around, the Cal's and IUP's of the world probably would've beat them. IUP still might be able to.  

But as long as you are on scholarship, I wouldn't view the two landing spots as very different. 

There is a very big difference between a good FCS player and a good psac player. I was told that personally by a coach who has coached at both places. 

IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby IHeartFootball2 » February 16th, 2018, 11:01 pm

MrAnonymous wrote:This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know how a player gets their star rating? I remember Smith from LV being a 2 and 3 by some recruiting services, but not sure how a player gets that rating. Tutino from LV comes to mind now...he’s getting a lot of D1 looks from what I’m hearing, but his name doesn’t even appear on any of the recruiting boards like rivals or 24/7. I know colleges put a lot of stock into those ratings so I’m curious as to how they’re determined.

To be honest, college coach do not put a lot of stock in those ratings. Obviously, a 5 star recruit is the cream of the crop so yes they will all recruit them. But coaches have their own methods for evaluating recruits & has nothing to do with stars from a recruiting service. 

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » February 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Safetyblitz wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Not a terribly big difference between low level FCS like the NEC and good D2 like PSAC.  Up until four years ago when St. Francis turned itself around, the Cal's and IUP's of the world probably would've beat them. IUP still might be able to.  

There is a very big difference between a good FCS player and a good psac player. I was told that personally by a coach who has coached at both places. 

But does St Francis really have these good FCS players?  St Francis has shown improvement certainly but they were a run of the mill 5-6 in 2017.  IUP made it to the D2 semifinals.  St Francis did beat up a bad Lock Haven team to open the season 69-3.  IUP did not play Lock Haven but I bet if they had the outcome would have been similar.
You can’t compare the campuses.  IUP wins that hands down.  Game day atmosphere?  I never watched St Francis but I have to think IUP with about 10,000 more students wins that battle as well.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » February 16th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Good FCS versus Good D2, it's not comparable. North Dakota State, Youngstown State have way better players than good PSAC teams. But bottom rung FCS like the NEC versus good D2, it's really not a big difference. I wouldn't look at it like a slight if some kid ended up at a D2 and not SFU or RMU, because in all likelihood they had the option for both. Probably just felt more comfortable at the one.

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » February 17th, 2018, 7:05 am

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Good FCS versus Good D2, it's not comparable.  North Dakota State, Youngstown State have way better players than good PSAC teams.  But bottom rung FCS like the NEC versus good D2, it's really not a big difference.  I wouldn't look at it like a slight if some kid ended up at a D2 and not SFU or RMU, because in all likelihood they had the option for both. Probably just felt more comfortable at the one.

Don't forget iup is its own distinct animal ,they have made a good living off of D1 transfers ! Not just men that where not getting pt at the d1 level, some for grades or injury or personal reasons. 

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » February 17th, 2018, 7:11 am

knowitall wrote:
Safetyblitz wrote:

But does St Francis really have these good FCS players?  St Francis has shown improvement certainly but they were a run of the mill 5-6 in 2017.  IUP made it to the D2 semifinals.  St Francis did beat up a bad Lock Haven team to open the season 69-3.  IUP did not play Lock Haven but I bet if they had the outcome would have been similar.
You can’t compare the campuses.  IUP wins that hands down.  Game day atmosphere?  I never watched St Francis but I have to think IUP with about 10,000 more students wins that battle as well.

Go to SFU for a NECgame you will see much better athletes. Go to IUP for a PSAC game you will have hands down better atmosphere and game day experience!! This is as a spectator on game day not a recruit waying all his options playing time, education, feel of campus etc. 

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » February 17th, 2018, 7:15 am

Safetyblitz wrote:
knowitall wrote:
Safetyblitz wrote:There is a very big difference between a good FCS player and a good psac player. I was told that personally by a coach who has coached at both places. 

Go to SFU for a NECgame you will see much better athletes. Go to IUP for a PSAC game you will have hands down better atmosphere and game day experience!! This is as a spectator on game day not a recruit waying all his options playing time, education, feel of campus etc. 

Nonetheless we have great opportunities in this area for Saturday afternoon football games and we haven't mentioned some of the good football played at the Diii level not to far away from here!!

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » February 17th, 2018, 7:35 am

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Good FCS versus Good D2, it's not comparable.  North Dakota State, Youngstown State have way better players than good PSAC teams.  But bottom rung FCS like the NEC versus good D2, it's really not a big difference.  I wouldn't look at it like a slight if some kid ended up at a D2 and not SFU or RMU, because in all likelihood they had the option for both. Probably just felt more comfortable at the one.

Crimson I used to think the exact same thing but I have talked to a nec coach who played and coached in the psac and said he was shocked at the difference in the players at the two levels. Doesn't mean a psac team couldn't beat a nec team any given Saturday. Happens at the next level every year. We have games like App. st. U of M for example ,you know Michigan had better players but still managed to lose the game. 

Return to “Football”