Crimson's Ghost wrote:District 5A

To my knowledge, the only games left on grass:

Meyersdale at Everett
Conemaugh Township at Tussey Mountain
COnemaugh Valley at Claysburg-Kimmel
Bishop McCort at Homer-Center
Southern Huntingdon at Penns Valley
West Shamokin at Bellwood-Antis

I understand why most of the games were moved to turf....but I’m curious about these stragglers that didn’t move their games.  Are their fields adequate despite the rain?  Is there an advantage to the home teams by playing in the slop?  I’m not familiar with the teams/fields in question. 

• Advertisement
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 5/6 site changes

Postby knowitall » October 31st, 2018, 10:03 pm

There’s only so many turf fields available

dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby dadw/2sons » October 31st, 2018, 10:08 pm

The field in Saxon isn't that bad right now. Once the rain comes Thursday and Friday, I don't know how it will be on Saturday night. I don't know what other options the Titans would have since the closet rug would be in Somerset County and I doubt they would want to play a WestPac school in their own county and give up the home field advantage. I guess we'll what happens Saturday. 

Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Scarlets1992 » October 31st, 2018, 10:10 pm

True.  But, Homer Center is closer to Indiana than United. Certainly, they could have opted to use that field- or even IUP, but they haven’t. Not sure about the other schools.

dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby dadw/2sons » October 31st, 2018, 10:10 pm

I guess I forgot about Altoona, but playing at a D6 site isn't a good option either.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » October 31st, 2018, 10:13 pm

How much does it cost to rent another field?  Is the site equipped to host the game?  How about security, concessions, etc?

Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Scarlets1992 » October 31st, 2018, 10:29 pm

knowitall wrote:How much does it cost to rent another field?  Is the site equipped to host the game?  How about security, concessions, etc?

You’re going into a litany of reasons not to go elsewhere....I was more interested in finding out if there are reasons to stay (if that makes sense). Is the field able to hold water?  Is there a playing advantage in staying on grass field?  Putting cost and logistics aside- does it make more sense to stay for some of these school?  For example, Westmont probably would have stayed on their field if it was a home game because there is seemingly an advantage to them. 

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » October 31st, 2018, 10:40 pm

PV's facility/field has always been in really good shape all the years I've been there. A slow muddy field would definitely play in the favor of the visiting Southern Huntingdon squad.
You play to win the game!!!

Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Blueandwhitefan » November 1st, 2018, 5:54 am

knowitall wrote:How much does it cost to rent another field?  Is the site equipped to host the game?  How about security, concessions, etc?

From what I've been told by the boosters at Penns Manor. The school was paid 1500 for last years playoff game.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » November 1st, 2018, 6:40 am

Saltsburg was accused of “stealing” from Ligonier Valley when it forfeited an away game several weeks ago. Who’s stealing from whom this week as Ligonier moves its home game to Greensburg?

Concessions could be a problem when games are moved to neutral sites. Concession stands are staffed and equipped by booster organizations. You’re counting on a school whose season may be over or is playing on the road to be able to purchase food and assemble a staff to prepare and sell the food and you’re only giving them two days notice.

Return to “Football”