Gouse - 200 wins

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Fballrules17
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Gouse - 200 wins

Postby Fballrules17 » September 17th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I think what Gouse has done is pretty remarkable.  For years (until the switch to 6 classes) Portage's PIAA enrollment was always in the bottom 1/3 of Single A.  Now they are towards the top and the don't have to play any bigger Single A's like Bellwood in the District.  He has a really good team this year, and I think games with Homer and Northern Cambria would be interesting.  But BG is far superior to any of the aforementioned.

Which leads me to my next point, What Wheeler has done is amazing.  He turned around a horrible program in one year.  I was always under the impression that he was helped by a phenomenal feeder system (The Altoona Parochial League)  I found this not to be the case, if I'm reading it right.  They actually only have one youth team, the Holy Trinity Guardians, that compete in the Holidaysburg Youth Football association.  Basically this little youth team has produced some unbelievable talent over the past 7 years or so, but not enough to win four straight district and state titles.  It has to be coaching. 

• Advertisement
Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Steve92 » September 17th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Fballrules17 wrote:I think what Gouse has done is pretty remarkable.  For years (until the switch to 6 classes) Portage's PIAA enrollment was always in the bottom 1/3 of Single A.  Now they are towards the top and the don't have to play any bigger Single A's like Bellwood in the District.  He has a really good team this year, and I think games with Homer and Northern Cambria would be interesting.  But BG is far superior to any of the aforementioned.

Which leads me to my next point, What Wheeler has done is amazing.  He turned around a horrible program in one year.  I was always under the impression that he was helped by a phenomenal feeder system (The Altoona Parochial League)  I found this not to be the case, if I'm reading it right.  They actually only have one youth team, the Holy Trinity Guardians, that compete in the Holidaysburg Youth Football association.  Basically this little youth team has produced some unbelievable talent over the past 7 years or so, but not enough to win four straight district and state titles.  It has to be coaching. 

Kudos to Coach Gouse.  The kind of consistent long-term success (as talent comes and goes) that Portage has enjoyed absolutely reflects on the coaching.
I know this a Coach Gouse thread, but I'll address your 2nd point:
You're partly right about BG's feeder system.  When Coach Wheeler took over, the APL had three teams:  St. Rose, Altoona Central Catholic, and Hburg Catholic.  Those three joined with a Catholic school from State College and two Catholic schools from Cambria county to form a league.  That was down from about 7 teams in the 80's, when tackle football began in 4th grade and the APL was a self-contained league.  Beginning with the 2016 school year, those three schools got consolidated into Holy Trinity.  The 7th and 8th graders from HT now compete in football as "BG Jr. High".   The system is shrinking, and Coach Wheeler has been doing more with less. 

stangin80
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby stangin80 » September 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm

kmr wrote:In 2014 it was a very competitive game against BG.  Postage played a great game, Kephart did all he could but one thing about that game Gouse did not coach in it.  He was kicked out the week before and wasn't allowed.

He didn't coach the game, pretty sure he did coach the team at practices prior.

youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby youngbuck » November 11th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Well, are we still putting him on coaching mount Rushmore

youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby youngbuck » November 11th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Goldeneagles12 wrote:200 wins is impressive district titles or not. He would be in the debate for the last spot on the Mount Rushmore for d6. Bailey Franco and Hayes are locks.

Hmmm

stangin80
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby stangin80 » November 11th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Troll

TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby TAHS92Alum » November 13th, 2017, 10:05 am

I would not. Wheeler would be my forth. The championships matter.
-BIRDS OF PREY-

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » November 13th, 2017, 10:12 am

Don Bailey Graduated from FH '69.  Played for the Saluki's @ Sou. Ill.  Had over 100 wins, in the 1990's alone.  Currently closing in on that 400 Holy Grail.  Match that.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby TAHS92Alum » November 13th, 2017, 11:11 am

Manfred wrote:Don Bailey Graduated from FH '69.  Played for the Saluki's @ Sou. Ill.  Had over 100 wins, in the 1990's alone.  Currently closing in on that 400 Holy Grail.  Match that.

No Doubt 3 of the 4 are Bailey, Hayes, Franco.  All three had the similar success. Bailey 9 District titles, 1 state final, Hayes 6 District titles, Franco 8 District titles, 3 state finals, and 1 state title. 190 wins in 18 years. 
The question was who is the 4th.
Another consideration Tim Janocko, he's at 250+ also, I think Baker is at 190 or so wins, with multiple championships as well
-BIRDS OF PREY-

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » November 13th, 2017, 11:31 am

I'd like to know how many more championships Franco or Bailey would've had if the other wasn't there. Also Hayes without having the Bishops around.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Return to “Football”