Question for Manfred/Portage people?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Question for Manfred/Portage people?

Postby Steve92 » October 5th, 2017, 11:12 pm

knowitall wrote:Did the family physically move from a house in Portage School District to Forest Hills School District?  If so, that is significantly different than a Presbyterian family sending its kid to a Catholic school for 11th grade.

Everyone agrees that Presbyterian families sending their non-athletic children to Catholic schools is fine.  And we can probably all agree that Presbyterian families who send their athletic kid to Catholic school should forfeit the kid's privilege to play football.   Where I'm conflicted is when a Catholic family sends an athletic kid to a Catholic school in 11th grade. 

• Advertisement
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 5th, 2017, 11:13 pm

CMM52: For someone who could care less, you sure are raising quite a few questions. I'm sure someone over the years has transferred to a private school in 11th or 12th grade for more discipline, religious reasons, desire to wear a tie every day, better libraries, nicer chemistry labs, etc etc. But it's funny how they usually wind up on some athletic team at the private institution.

CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CoffinCorner » October 5th, 2017, 11:19 pm

stangin80 wrote:I know you don't care..thats your prerogative. I'm from Portage. You don't think I've had my taste of stacked teams..that the kids kicking our rear-ends where at that school because they were doing the right thing for themselves. This boy is no 280 pound shoe in to D1..he'll be lucky with a D3 baseball offer at best..

He was your starting qb last year, I am not going to dig up last year's posts or newspaper s, but was thought pretty highly of.  Now all of the sudden he is at another school.  In a small A school losing a starting qb is a big deal, when he transfers out.  Something about this is off,   he might not be D1 or 2 or even 3, but he was good enough to start and is a good sized kid.
People certainly made a big deal when a Heritage qb transfer to another school in conference

stangin80
Freshman
Freshman

Postby stangin80 » October 5th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Not sure why the transfer coffincorner..was a no show for preseason football workouts..at some point the team moved on..im guessing

PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby PortagePride » October 6th, 2017, 12:10 am

knowitall wrote:Did the family physically move from a house in Portage School District to Forest Hills School District?  If so, that is significantly different than a Presbyterian family sending its kid to a Catholic school for 11th grade.

No, HIS family still resides in Portage. I have ZERO clue about if he has extended family or friends in the Forest Hills district that could claim him as his guardian. However as I'm sure you know there is other ways to get around transferring public to public without having to pay tuition if some of these "stories/rumors/hearsay" is true.

And yes he was the starting QB last year, however go look up his stats. Yes I know Portage is a run heavy team however we still do throw the pill when we are capable and like to have a mobile QB which he wasn't. I don't really want or need to have to downgrade the young man any more than to say going with the Sophomore QB this season over the starting returning senior was an easy choice made by the coaching staff in the offseason.

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » October 6th, 2017, 12:14 am

I agree 100% with CM's point. If he went to BG or BM this year it would of been a big deal, especially by the forrest hills duo on here. But instead its a transfer to FH and no one wants to acknowledge its weird.

Side note, its a bit ridiculous how high school teams have mandatory off season programs. There are a lot more important things for Teenagers to be doing that all the football stuff during summer...

youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby youngbuck » October 6th, 2017, 6:22 am

Don Bailey has allowed Jake Shop #5 and Luke Williams #71 to come out after the season started. Neither attended a single summer workout or camp.  If Kyler ends up playing this season and that is the rumor , he has already had two other kids join midseason.  
Which team has mandatory summer workouts, when kids coming midseason was previout discussed on this board a couple weeks ago , didn't see one single comment about having to attend summer workouts at any school.

CMM52
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby CMM52 » October 6th, 2017, 6:26 am

The caliber of player shouldn't matter and the nature of the transfer shouldn't matter (public to public/public to private/etc...).  You have a simple case of clear, especially now that we learned he hasn't moved, athletic intent and it's cool?  This kid goes private and same dudes be saying "he was recruited" "Shame on his family" and the old "kids these days" we hear ALL the time.  It just blows my mind.

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » October 6th, 2017, 6:30 am

From what the portage players are telling me he isn't liked at all by them right now. Don't wanna say anymore since there might be legal action taken.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » October 6th, 2017, 8:21 am

knowitall wrote:Believe it or not occasionally families move from one house to another.  Lower rent, more closet space, a bigger kitchen, etc. are reasons why families move from one house to another.  Sometimes they move a few miles away and cross a boundary line that means the kids have to go to a new school.  

A few years ago, the Kostan family moved from FH to Portage.  The family actually had a farm in Portage Twp., and the Father became a Twp. Supervisor, and the boy was one of Portage's 'better' running backs/ LB's his Sr. yr.  Stuff -DOES- happen.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Return to “Football”