Question for Manfred/Portage people?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Question for Manfred/Portage people?

Postby El-Moldo » October 6th, 2017, 10:57 pm

I actually think a coach can refuse to admit a kid to a team if he misses all of camp and wants to start late, unless it's because of an injury or a family situation that prevents him from participating in camp. I mean, can't a coach cut a player after camp is over if he wants to? And we're not talking about refusing a kid BEFORE camp. Heck even home-schooled kids can try-out if they live in the school district. If a kid doesn't sign up for football by a certain date, then there is NO obligation to admit him after the pre-season is over.

• Advertisement
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 6th, 2017, 11:11 pm

And one doesn't move to another school district to escape a problem? Several years ago a good football player at Conemaugh Twp got in trouble and was suspended from athletics for his senior year. He then transferred to McCort that summer where he was welcomed with open arms, playing football as if nothing in his past mattered. Guess HE escaped his problem.

CMM52
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby CMM52 » October 7th, 2017, 7:18 am

If some kid running from a mess that he likely helped to create makes you warm and fuzzy inside so be it I guess. Just make sure you have the same "compassion" the next time a kid and family decides a private education is what they need.

Also, not sure why anyone thinks kids "have to" be let on a football team or ant team for that matter. That's at the discretion of the HC and AD. If the HC has support from his AD he can determine eligibility of a player and it has nothing to do with it beijg a public school or not. Extracurriculars do not tie into the "free and equal" education deal.

BigSkyCountry
Junior
Junior

Postby BigSkyCountry » October 7th, 2017, 8:03 am

Escaping consequences, ramifications and reactions can be done, escaping the true underlying problem takes more than changing colors and mascots.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 7th, 2017, 10:15 am

A man is known by the company he keeps. THAT'S why sometimes he must move.

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » October 7th, 2017, 11:06 am

El-Moldo wrote:A man is known by the company he keeps. THAT'S why sometimes he must move.

Except, of course, if he chooses to move to a private school.  Then it's obviously with athletic purpose, right Moldo?

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 7th, 2017, 4:35 pm

If you lose your driver's license in Pennsylvania, can you just go and get one in West Virginia? Well, as I just demonstrated with that Conemaugh Twp incident, private schools have NO scruples about taking in potential athletes, as long as it benefits the private school. It sure didn't help that young man learn anything when he wasn't punished for what he did at CT. He just showed up a BM, practically as a hero who was gonna help the Crushers. And wasn't there a Merriman kid from Westy years ago that was in trouble and left his school to be welcomed by BM?

Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Lefteyelouie » October 7th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Only need to go back to last year.  The central to McCort transfer...then transfer back to central week after football ended..  It wasn't a transfer for academic reasons...

BigSkyCountry
Junior
Junior

Postby BigSkyCountry » October 7th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Can't question your thought process at all. Was very curious as to the last local who transferred and it was denied. There is a process to halt such moves. There are numerous challenges in the wpial annually. I recall a recent challenge in d5. I cannot recall a challenge in d6. Perhaps an oversight on my part, or poor memory.

davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby davesandstorm » October 7th, 2017, 6:57 pm

BigSkyCountry wrote:Can't question your thought process at all. Was very curious as to the last local who transferred and it was denied. There is a process to halt such moves. There are numerous challenges in the wpial annually. I recall a recent challenge in d5. I cannot recall a challenge in d6. Perhaps an oversight on my part, or poor memory.

Camden Woodward was denied football eligibility when he transferred from Southern Huntingdon to Mount Union in 2014.

Return to “Football”