More ridiculous than ridiculous

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: More ridiculous than ridiculous

Postby knowitall » October 7th, 2017, 11:51 am

High school football kicked off the week before Labor Day this year.  That squeezed summer by a week and may have caught families and summer camps off guard.

• Advertisement
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby youngbuck » October 7th, 2017, 12:04 pm

upnorth wrote:We should celebrate this young man's choices to help others and the family's decision to spend time together, both of which are eminently more important than off-season workouts or a camp.

It amazes me that administrators in public and private education continue to allow these "not officially mandatory, but you better be there or else" off-season activities, especially when you consider the infinitesimal percentage of student athletes that will actually go on to perform at a high level in athletics to the point that it can supplant the importance of education (i.e. become professional athletes earning millions).

I know in the district that I reside in that there are certain sports where you student athletes have been told that they must attend these off-season activities or else they will be cut.  There was one coach (has moved on) that for a number of years did not allow his players to participate in other sports and required them to work out year round.

So are you saying that there should be no commitment to the team, that the players who do work hard all summer and get stronger and faster should be benched so that someone who did not work and is not a better player gets to play?  Is there a chance that Don Bailey  is not going to put the best player on the field at each position? 

theprophet
Senior
Senior

Postby theprophet » October 7th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Life is about choices. You can choose to miss work outs and if you are an average or below player that will have an affect.

If I choose to miss work to go to church I’ll probably get fired, choices and consequences.

A choice was also made to give up on the team and teammates.

Bottom line every choice you make good or bad may have consequences.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » October 7th, 2017, 12:21 pm

But that doesn’t explain St. Don allowing a player to apparently join his team on September 15 and be put on the field.

HSD6FAN
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby HSD6FAN » October 7th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Hard to tell everything by this report. It’s only one side.

However, even though off season workouts aren’t mandatory, it does affect your ability to perform. By not attending, you risk someone taking your spot. Varsity sports are about winning. The best players play.

If you are going to miss the days of mandatory practice, then you suffer the consequences. I’m not saying the family made a wrong decision, but the coach also has to make decisions. If one player is allowed to miss practice for a family vacation, where does the line get drawn to what is acceptable or unacceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 7th, 2017, 4:45 pm

There is NO rule stating that a coach cannot let a kid play in any sport if he misses camp, as long as the kid lives in the school district. If a kid changes his mind about playing a sport after camp is over, and wants to play, it is up to the coach if he will admit him to the team or not.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » October 7th, 2017, 4:49 pm

So missing a week of camp for a family vacation is no good you’re not playing.  Deciding you want to play three weeks into the season is good, get out there!
Last edited by knowitall on October 7th, 2017, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Maybe the kid in our opening letter got to play a lot last year when a better player got hurt and had to sit out a lot. Now that the injured player has returned THIS year, the kid in the letter my have to play behind him, who was better to begin with? All kids of scenarios could be mentioned for why this years kid quit.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » October 7th, 2017, 4:56 pm

knowitall: You are assuming that THAT is the TRUE reason (missing a week of camp for a family vacation) why the kid was not playing. You are taking what was written in the letter to be true and factual. I knew a girl once who had her wisdom teeth removed a few days into volleyball camp. She missed some time, but was NOT removed from the team and played the entire season.

Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby 223113 » October 7th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Coach Bailey is going to play the players that give his team the best chance to win. If you miss weightlifting, passing camps, pre-camp, summer workouts,....and even if you join 5 weeks into the season,...if You are the Best person for the position, You will be on the field.
It's his job to put the best team on the field, period.
If the school district says Johnny is eligible, then from that moment on, it is about your ability, as you are right now.
Not what you did last year.
Not what admirable, upstanding things you did for the community, commendable though they be.
The young man is/was not playing, because someone else is/was better, period.
It probably would have been better to tell him that, not the missing camp/offseason stuff.
Oh, and there is no Christian persecution going on. The team goes to Christian churches every Thursday, and they pray the Lord's prayer on bended knee before every game.

Return to “Football”