Bellwood-Antis @ Mount Union

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bellwood-Antis @ Mount Union

Postby davesandstorm » October 8th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Turnovers and penalties have killed Mount Union in the past, and both of those have almost been non-existent this season.

Bellwood wins if they limit Martin's big plays to 10-20 yard chunks and not 40+ yards. They need to have a passing attack that is more dynamic than the two split ends running go routes and chucking it up hoping for the best.

Mount Union wins if they don't shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers. They need to make sure tackles and play disciplined against Bellwood's multiple backfield and unbalanced line looks.

As for players on the MU side that can make a difference who are not named Martin:
1. Levi Hockenberry. He's a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. He makes a living in the opponent's backfield and is often pressuring the QB on passing attempts.
2. Tavin McMickens. He makes big hits on defense and is near the ball on almost every play. He's got great speed on offense and will offer a good misdirection for Martin.
3. Quinton Posey. Bellwood will be keying on stopping Martin. This will give him the opportunity to make big plays with his arm and his legs.
4. Ethan Carbaugh. Martin isn't getting the ball kicked to him. Carbaugh will have opportunities to make big plays in the return game with Bellwood wanting to not give Martin the ball in the open field.
5. Chris Dodd. Dodd has been banged up this year, but I look for him to make a return this week. He'll have a lot of pent up frustration from missing time and if he's 100% he could be a force.

Bonus difference maker: Klayton Willoughby. He's only a freshman, but he's going to be a really good LB for the Trojans. With all the other horses in the defensive seven, he's often forgotten and seems to be around the play a lot. When he blitzes he usually gets a great jump on the snap count and often shifts the pocket right into the waiting arms of the defensive line coming from the other side. He had a great play against West Branch where he was out of position, but made a great strip to get the Trojans the ball back.

• Advertisement
SoftWalkinBigStick
Senior
Senior

Postby SoftWalkinBigStick » October 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Great Post Sandman. That's the stuff I was hoping for. Anyone gonna match it from the BA side? LOL

SoftWalkinBigStick
Senior
Senior

Postby SoftWalkinBigStick » October 8th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Side note: I wish this game wasn't on the same night as McCort-Johnstown. Both should be good games.

Aiks19
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Aiks19 » October 8th, 2017, 5:01 pm

I will say this. It will be a great game! Have to think both teams were getting bored playing their ICC schedule. Game like this is why kids play.

SoftWalkinBigStick
Senior
Senior

Postby SoftWalkinBigStick » October 8th, 2017, 5:06 pm

COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THAT!

Earl34
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Earl34 » October 8th, 2017, 5:29 pm

If MU needs Martin in the fourth quarter, they could be in trouble. He has not been needed so far, except against Huntingdon, and he could not go then. Missed most of the fourth against SH. Coach might need to pace himself in using him.

Aiks19
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Aiks19 » October 8th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Earl34 wrote:If MU needs Martin in the fourth quarter, they could be in trouble. He has not been needed so far, except against Huntingdon, and he could not go then. Missed most of the fourth against SH. Coach might need to pace himself in using him.

Outside of Tyrone game, I don't think either team needed any starters in the fourth.

SoftWalkinBigStick
Senior
Senior

Postby SoftWalkinBigStick » October 8th, 2017, 9:37 pm

I too am interested how much of a game Martin can put together. He is super when he can go, but he hasn't been able to maintain that level for a full game yet. Let's see how he steps up for the big game this week. I heard the coach purposely gave him the hook in Huntingdon, but you are spot on for the Southern Huntingdon game.

SoftWalkinBigStick
Senior
Senior

Postby SoftWalkinBigStick » October 10th, 2017, 9:03 am

Outside of the Rbs, who do you think has the better supporting cast throwing the ball, Wolfe or Posey? And then who does the most in the passing game? These quarterbacks need to be fired up to hit the pass off the run, that could be the difference in the game. If either comes out flat, their team could lose.

Aiks19
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Aiks19 » October 10th, 2017, 9:42 am

Bellwood has McFarland. Leads team in receptions and avg per at 23 yards a catch. Other than that they will utilize the backs.Judging from stats, looks like MU isn't much different. Obviously I can't speak for them.

Return to “Football”