Will there ever be a day???

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Awdhaemel
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Awdhaemel » November 6th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Since 2009 only 30 of the 68 teams were private or Catholic, still less than 50%

• Advertisement
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » November 6th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Oh, my bad. Yea, you're right. It's a non-issue. There's just more talent in the BG school district borders than the Claysburg district.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » November 6th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Awdhaemel wrote:Since 2009 only 30 of the 68 teams were private or Catholic,  still less than 50%

Are 44% of all the schools belonging to the PIAA Catholic or Private?

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » November 6th, 2017, 3:51 pm

That's the issue, only 30% of schools are private but 40-50% or more depending on the year make up playoffs

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Steve92 » November 7th, 2017, 1:19 pm

So if the dirty secret of private school domination is recruiting, what's the secret of Southern Columbia?  How about Clairton?  Should those and other consistently top-notch public schools also be banished to a separate playoff bracket?  Even if they don't recruit, we have to consider fairness to the schools who aren't keeping up.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » November 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Well those Southern Columbia and Clairton teams did have Division 1/NFL players on them, that helps a little bit. I don't believe recruiting is necessarily the issue. It's parents choosing to send their kids to play with other talented kids. Turning these into AAU teams. Look at basketball? Neumann Goretti is a great example. At private schools you have higher concentration of talent when everything comes together. You don't have as many average Joe's going to private school. But but but what about Bishop Carroll and St. Joe's, I've proven you wrong now! The well has dried up at BC and the haven't dug a well at St. Joe's. When a private school can't bring in students for whatever reason, the football teams hit rock bottom. It's nothing against the BG kids at all. Yes they work hard, probably harder than anyone to keep their streak alive, but each one of those talented kids...is surrounded by other talented kids. You go down through the roster over the past few years and there's a few more 6'3"-6' 5" or 280-300LB monsters rolling through with 6' 200lb runningbacks...over and over. Once a private school gets this kind of success, they can keep it up over years with kids coming in from all over the area. At a public school, you're held to what's in your district. To say that there's no advantage is ridiculous, naive, ignorant, simpleminded, etc.

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » November 7th, 2017, 1:56 pm

It's also a no-brainer academically as well. If you can afford to send your kids away from no child left behind and common core then do it. Bishop McCort's academics are great. They're not held back with what they can do.

ERAChamp
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ERAChamp » November 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm

McCort's academics may be great, but so are Forest Hills, Richland, Westmont, etc. There are definitely some public schools that might not be as challenging, but a vast majority are.

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » November 7th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Steve92 wrote:So if the dirty secret of private school domination is recruiting, what's the secret of Southern Columbia?  How about Clairton?  Should those and other consistently top-notch public schools also be banished to a separate playoff bracket?  Even if they don't recruit, we have to consider fairness to the schools who aren't keeping up.

So you think BG is equal to say, Williamsburg? They both have an equal ability to pool talent from demographically? I think it's fine if private schools want to recruit, but there is no way a school should have the ability to take kids in from Altoona and Hollidaysburg, a 6A and 5A school, and still be playing A. If Williamsburg co-ops with Altoona for football and Max Sankey plays at Williamsburg, they would get bumped up to at least AA under that co-op. Why do private schools have the ability to stay put?

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » November 7th, 2017, 3:39 pm

forced play up with success is the answer.  Say a private reaches the finals in 3 straight years or semis 4 straight years in their class, they are forced to play up the next year.  This way BG and others like it would be forced out of playing in a class if success is continued.  It is not normal for the same schools to be reaching finals every year.  I believe even in Southern Columbia's case, they have some "fluid" border within school district  (Not a fact, thought I read that somewhere, feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Return to “Football”