Will there ever be a day???

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crushersports
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Crushersports » November 7th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Bigbuddy wrote:They say they don't recruit, but when you have the ability to give away free tuition that's recruiting.  Kids that go to public schools can't choose to go to another for sports unless their family has an address in the distric.  Call it what you want but I call it recruiting and the PIAA is simply stealing from the kids of public schools.

Free tuition? Please tell me where that school is at? I can assure you every kid at McCort pays tuition, it's income based but to say they let kids go for free is moronic and totally unsubstantiated.

• Advertisement
Crushersports
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Crushersports » November 7th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Steve92 wrote:So if the dirty secret of private school domination is recruiting, what's the secret of Southern Columbia?  How about Clairton?  Should those and other consistently top-notch public schools also be banished to a separate playoff bracket?  Even if they don't recruit, we have to consider fairness to the schools who aren't keeping up.

You think all the Southern Columbia kids started out there? Do some research....I can tell you for a fact one of their top defensive players started out at Shamokin. Don't just assume because it's a public school that all its kids are homegrown

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Steve92 » November 7th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Crushersports wrote:
Steve92 wrote:So if the dirty secret of private school domination is recruiting, what's the secret of Southern Columbia?  How about Clairton?  Should those and other consistently top-notch public schools also be banished to a separate playoff bracket?  Even if they don't recruit, we have to consider fairness to the schools who aren't keeping up.

You think all the Southern Columbia kids started out there? Do some research....I can tell you for a fact one of their top defensive players started out at Shamokin. Don't just assume because it's a public school that all its kids are homegrown

I think we agree.  The system is fairer than it may look at first glance.  Success breeds success in both public and private.  Success also runs in cycles.  Clairton was a wrecking machine for a long time, and is still a threat to go all the way in any given year, but coaches come and go, an outstanding class is lost to graduation (BG next year), or any number of other variables combine to return a juggernaut to the ranks of the commoners.

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby Steve92 » November 7th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Crushersports wrote:
Bigbuddy wrote:They say they don't recruit, but when you have the ability to give away free tuition that's recruiting.  Kids that go to public schools can't choose to go to another for sports unless their family has an address in the distric.  Call it what you want but I call it recruiting and the PIAA is simply stealing from the kids of public schools.

Free tuition? Please tell me where that school is at? I can assure you every kid at McCort pays tuition, it's income based but to say they let kids go for free is moronic and totally unsubstantiated.

I'm with you Crusher.  I've heard this alot--that free tuition is offered to top athletes at some private schools.  I'm not saying that it doesn't happen anywhere, but I can tell you this:  If this is done, it had better be kept in a top secret file.  If the parents at McCort or BG, who've been paying tuition for 12 years for multiple children, found out that some kid came in during senior year and gets a free ride to play a sport......well, there might be some pitchforks pointing at the main office.

stangin80
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby stangin80 » November 7th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Ok..So its not recruiting or free rides to the Talented or Gifted. It must be something in the water on that side of Altoona, making the line so huge year after year? Been hearing BG will be on the slide for couple years..c'mon.
The key is getting to the first success.....

Success Breeds Participation!
Participation Breeds Success!

DCor50
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby DCor50 » November 7th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Southern Columbia has key players that started their careers at neighboring schools such as Shamokin and Lewistown. They also lost a starting safety to Berwick this year. It happens. But if it's not a big deal, then the privates should play in their own playoff system. It would offer a private school champion and a public school champion.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » November 8th, 2017, 8:36 am

The expression 'free tuition' is a misnomer, agreed. It's the other financial incentives that have been mentioned many times by many on this board, namely the "sponsorships" by well-off individuals and former alumni, and the LIFT scholarships. It's just co-incidental that a greater proportion of these recipients happen to be more athletically inclined than the general kids who attend BMCHS and actually pay the annual tuitions mentioned.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 8th, 2017, 10:27 am

I'm just impressed you know who holds all the name scholarships at McCort and that most of them are athletes.  That's next level dedication. 

Realityhits02
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Realityhits02 » November 8th, 2017, 9:19 pm

I love hearing all the stories from people who know someone that was "personally approached by BG/BM etc.etc. and said their kid was such an amazing athlete, that they could go there for free." Or how they "know" athletes don't pay tuition.  Doesn't happen. 
 I also once thought that people went to private schools for “free” if they were good athletes, until I actually sent my child to one. My child would be considered by most an “above average” athlete-no free tuition here. Period.  Are there kids getting LIFT scholarships and tuition breaks based on income?  Of course, there are. BASED ON INCOME.  Are there students in the public schools that are from families that pay little or no school and property taxes because of income? YES! In fact, those of us living in those districts who are sending our kids to private schools, and STILL PAYING TAXES, are essentially providing those students with LIFT scholarships!  And, those that are renting, or have lower school taxes based on income, property values, etc. are getting “tuition” breaks in their public school BASED ON INCOME!!  No difference.
 The argument of wanting only “Homegrown” talent died at least 2 decades ago.  Guess what? People move!  They move for all kinds of reasons!  Jobs, divorce, BETTER SCHOOL DISTRICTS, etc. etc.  You are entertaining an ideal that has long since passed-NEWS FLASH-not everyone who goes to Richland School District grew up in Richland!  Same with Forest Hills, Westmont, and so on and so on.  So, while you will sit on your high horse and act like BG isn’t legit or “fair” because the players didn’t go to kindergarten at a Catholic Elementary school, tell me…how many grades should one have to complete in that system to be considered “legit” by your standards?  And while you are at it, how many years does someone have to “physically reside” in a PUBLIC-school district to be “legit” as well?  Tough to say, right?  Yeah, the PIAA probably is having the same problem.  

lilIndian91
Freshman
Freshman

Postby lilIndian91 » November 9th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:That post kind of comes off with a little "tin foil hat" paranoia-ish flair.

And now that McCort has been exposed? Am I still wearing that "tin foil hat"? Maybe that was an isolated incident. 

Return to “Football”