Will there ever be a day???

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
User avatar
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 8488
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reputation: 427

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Yes the "placed together by divine intervention" still seems a bit out of left field. And controlling numbers to stay in A seems a bit out there too. Catholic schools don't make money for winning games, they make money by educating students. They aren't turning away kids to stay in small classifications.



  • Advertisement
lilIndian91
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2017, 3:22 pm
Reputation: 4

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby lilIndian91 » November 9th, 2017, 8:25 pm

The "divine intervention" was tongue and cheek. Sorry you didn't get that. Controlling numbers, no doubt about it. Again, 1A in a 6A and 5A nearby district. I'll stand by it.
And since nobody else agreed with one of my other posts....PL over HC.....Bank on it.
That's my upset special.

DCor50
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant
Posts: 229
Joined: August 9th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Reputation: 82

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby DCor50 » November 9th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Where is the thread about Bishop McCort recruiting probation? Was it removed?

Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 725
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Reputation: 67

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Blueandwhitefan » November 9th, 2017, 9:01 pm

DCor50 wrote:Where is the thread about Bishop McCort recruiting probation?  Was it removed?

I'm the wrestling forum.
Your only young once but you can be immature forever!!!

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 97
Joined: August 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Steve92 » November 9th, 2017, 9:12 pm

DCor50 wrote:Southern Columbia has key players that started their careers at neighboring schools such as Shamokin and Lewistown.  They also lost a starting safety to Berwick this year.  It happens.  But if it's not a big deal, then the privates should play in their own playoff system.  It would offer a private school champion and a public school champion.

I'm afraid I don't follow you.  If, as you say, the transfers happen in both public and private schools, then why should there be separate playoff systems?

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 97
Joined: August 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Steve92 » November 9th, 2017, 9:21 pm

stangin80 wrote:Ok..So its not recruiting or free rides to the Talented or Gifted. It must be something in the water on that side of Altoona, making the line so huge year after year? Been hearing BG will be on the slide for couple years..c'mon.
The key is getting to the first success.....

Success Breeds Participation!
Participation Breeds Success!

Stang, You're exactly right that SBP and PBS.  That's been the story at BG.  It started with an exceptional coaching staff and an unbelievably talented class of athletes in a single A school.  McCloskey, Chadbourne, Berger, the Leamers, etc. 
I'm one who believes that BG must slide next year.  They'll lose something like 12 seniors--most of their starters.  If they don't lose more than 3 regular season games next year it will come down to coaches working wonders with dedicated kids who may not be going on to play college ball.

User avatar
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 1850
Joined: August 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm
Reputation: 396
Location: Mile 129

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby 12HankQB » November 9th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Steve92 wrote:
DCor50 wrote:Southern Columbia has key players that started their careers at neighboring schools such as Shamokin and Lewistown.  They also lost a starting safety to Berwick this year.  It happens.  But if it's not a big deal, then the privates should play in their own playoff system.  It would offer a private school champion and a public school champion.

I'm afraid I don't follow you.  If, as you say, the transfers happen in both public and private schools, then why should there be separate playoff systems?

Because public schools come from a single area and maybe hav a few transfers, privates have no boundaries and are made of the entire region. Don't be ignorant. They aren't the same. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Steve92
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 97
Joined: August 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Steve92 » November 9th, 2017, 9:48 pm

12HankQB wrote:
Steve92 wrote:
DCor50 wrote:Southern Columbia has key players that started their careers at neighboring schools such as Shamokin and Lewistown.  They also lost a starting safety to Berwick this year.  It happens.  But if it's not a big deal, then the privates should play in their own playoff system.  It would offer a private school champion and a public school champion.

I'm afraid I don't follow you.  If, as you say, the transfers happen in both public and private schools, then why should there be separate playoff systems?

Because public schools come from a single area and maybe hav a few transfers, privates have no boundaries and are made of the entire region. Don't be ignorant. They aren't the same. 

No offense taken.
Private schools have boundaries too, even if they aren't as obvious as lines drawn on political maps.  Private schools can only draw from families that want the education, disciplinary rules, dress codes, religious practices, and tuition that define the school.  Unlike public schools, a private school can have a dozen top students and athletes living right down the street and they simply won't attend.   Schools like McCort and BG may be in a larger population base than other AA and A schools, but the pool from which they draw is the same during decades of mediocrity as it is during their undefeated runs.  Should they play up when they're successful?  Sure.  As long as they can drop back down when the well runs dry.  Would I be upset if the privates were banished to a separate playoff?  A bit.  I just don't want to see the truly noteworthy success of these schools diminished by offhanded claims of unfairness, recruiting, etc.

Red and Black
Sophomore
Sophomore
Posts: 71
Joined: July 27th, 2009, 7:15 am
Reputation: 1

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Red and Black » November 9th, 2017, 10:35 pm

A proposal to consider:
If a team from a school without defined geographic borders makes the PIAA level of playoffs for 2 years in a row they play up for the next 2-year cycle. If they don't keep making that level of playoffs while playing up for 2 years, then they can revert to their actual level of enrollment for the following 2-year cycle. Since football is a morphed District - PIAA playoff make the cutoff point for football playoff success the statewide round of 16. So for District 6A for example, that would mean winning the District 6 quarterfinals - this weekends winners - because they would then be in the final 16 of the state. Probably some finer details to work out, but something like this could work.

Earl34
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 11
Joined: September 23rd, 2017, 1:38 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby Earl34 » November 9th, 2017, 11:24 pm

In the mean time, Mt. Union will play up to 3A for 2 years because a pipeline is being laid through their area now. The numbers that have to be reported now will bump most of the girl sports and football up 1 class. These kids will be gone next summer but MU will pay for this extra short term enrollment for 2 years.


Return to “Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 13 guests