A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Will there ever be a day???

Postby 12HankQB » November 10th, 2017, 6:41 am

Steve92 wrote:
12HankQB wrote:
Steve92 wrote:I'm afraid I don't follow you.  If, as you say, the transfers happen in both public and private schools, then why should there be separate playoff systems?

Because public schools come from a single area and maybe hav a few transfers, privates have no boundaries and are made of the entire region. Don't be ignorant. They aren't the same. 

No offense taken.
Private schools have boundaries too, even if they aren't as obvious as lines drawn on political maps.  Private schools can only draw from families that want the education, disciplinary rules, dress codes, religious practices, and tuition that define the school.  Unlike public schools, a private school can have a dozen top students and athletes living right down the street and they simply won't attend.   Schools like McCort and BG may be in a larger population base than other AA and A schools, but the pool from which they draw is the same during decades of mediocrity as it is during their undefeated runs.  Should they play up when they're successful?  Sure.  As long as they can drop back down when the well runs dry.  Would I be upset if the privates were banished to a separate playoff?  A bit.  I just don't want to see the truly noteworthy success of these schools diminished by offhanded claims of unfairness, recruiting, etc.

Yes they're limited because of the reasons you've said, but they're also unlimited as well. If they can get students enrolled the sports thrive, if not, they fall off. It doesn't matter if they are surrounded by talent down the street if they can pull from the next county over. As said before, private schools are usually awesome, above average, or terrible. If they just move up in classification, their regular season schedule is the same. If they make playoffs, they'll still do well and if they stink they obviously won't make playoffs. Also, if one of the LHAC teams would beat them on a year like this year, they'd get the points they deserve. I have no problem with what privates do. They can even recruit it they want, I'd be fine with that AS LONG as they aren't being put in the same standards as the small public schools. 

If only closed minds came with closed mouths

• Advertisement
Steve92
Junior
Junior

Postby Steve92 » November 10th, 2017, 2:08 pm

12HankQB wrote:
Steve92 wrote:
12HankQB wrote:Because public schools come from a single area and maybe hav a few transfers, privates have no boundaries and are made of the entire region. Don't be ignorant. They aren't the same. 

No offense taken.
Private schools have boundaries too, even if they aren't as obvious as lines drawn on political maps.  Private schools can only draw from families that want the education, disciplinary rules, dress codes, religious practices, and tuition that define the school.  Unlike public schools, a private school can have a dozen top students and athletes living right down the street and they simply won't attend.   Schools like McCort and BG may be in a larger population base than other AA and A schools, but the pool from which they draw is the same during decades of mediocrity as it is during their undefeated runs.  Should they play up when they're successful?  Sure.  As long as they can drop back down when the well runs dry.  Would I be upset if the privates were banished to a separate playoff?  A bit.  I just don't want to see the truly noteworthy success of these schools diminished by offhanded claims of unfairness, recruiting, etc.

Yes they're limited because of the reasons you've said, but they're also unlimited as well. If they can get students enrolled the sports thrive, if not, they fall off. It doesn't matter if they are surrounded by talent down the street if they can pull from the next county over. As said before, private schools are usually awesome, above average, or terrible. If they just move up in classification, their regular season schedule is the same. If they make playoffs, they'll still do well and if they stink they obviously won't make playoffs. Also, if one of the LHAC teams would beat them on a year like this year, they'd get the points they deserve. I have no problem with what privates do. They can even recruit it they want, I'd be fine with that AS LONG as they aren't being put in the same standards as the small public schools. 

Fair enough. 

davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby davesandstorm » November 10th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Earl34 wrote:In the mean time, Mt. Union will play up to 3A for 2 years because a pipeline is being laid through their area now. The numbers that have to be reported now will bump most of the girl sports and football up 1 class. These kids will be gone next summer but MU will pay for this extra short term enrollment for 2 years.

A very real possibility. Also Southern Huntingdon in football with its co-op with Forbes Road could be in a similar boat. They're only 5 males under Mount Union in the last cycle.

raybabbitt
Freshman
Freshman

Postby raybabbitt » November 10th, 2017, 10:48 pm

lilIndian91 wrote:The "divine intervention" was tongue and cheek. Sorry you didn't get that. Controlling numbers, no doubt about it. Again, 1A in a 6A and 5A nearby district. I'll stand by it.
And since nobody else agreed with one of my other posts....PL over HC.....Bank on it.
That's my upset special.

Looks like there is good reason why nobody agrees with your posts...HC 40 - PL 0!

TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Postby TyBiggums17 » November 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I usually don't post on here, but the public/private debate has been driving me nuts for a while. Here's an analogy I think explains the disparity between the potential resources a private school has that a public school does not with regards to success in a given sport. Lottery tickets... a public school is like a handful of lottery tickets, and a private school is like a truck bed full of lottery tickets. Which do you think is more likely, statistically, to hit the jackpot? On a side note, BG's website includes things like financial aid and even transportation from as far away as State College. As far as ''the 'R' word'' goes, they don't really have to do it. I'm sure three straight state titles goes a long way in getting the attention of every skill player and small college-sized underclass lineman within commuting distance. Part of me also wonders how Altoona's move to getting slaughters two hours away every week in the WPIAL inspired the upswing of the BG football program. Idk. I guess watching a ''class A'' school shred the LHAC for three years en route to the class-A playoffs against schools like Williamsburg and Claysburg doesn't sit right. 

TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Postby TyBiggums17 » November 11th, 2017, 6:01 pm

This is a BG hypothetical. I'm from the Altoona area originally, so I'm familiar with the region this particular private school resides in. But HYPOTHETICALLY, BG could have a roster made up of mostly Altoona and Hollidaysburg kids, but they COULD also have talent from places like BA, Tyrone, Central, Penn Cambria, Williamsburg, and Claysburg. And those are just the districts around the Altoona metro area. It's tough to say how far a kid's parents would be willing to facilitate a commute. The problem with this is it's completely ok with the PIAA while they're competing against tiny class-A school districts in the playoffs that aren't allowed access to the same population to build a roster.

Steve92
Junior
Junior

Postby Steve92 » November 11th, 2017, 10:02 pm

TyBiggums17 wrote:This is a BG hypothetical. I'm from the Altoona area originally, so I'm familiar with the region this particular private school resides in. But HYPOTHETICALLY, BG could have a roster made up of mostly Altoona and Hollidaysburg kids, but they COULD also have talent from places like BA, Tyrone, Central, Penn Cambria, Williamsburg, and Claysburg. And those are just the districts around the Altoona metro area. It's tough to say how far a kid's parents would be willing to facilitate a commute. The problem with this is it's completely ok with the PIAA while they're competing against tiny class-A school districts in the playoffs that aren't allowed access to the same population to build a roster.

Hypothetically, you could make any argument you want, but if you want to claim that BG has players from the localities you listed, you should probably know what you're talking about.

TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Postby TyBiggums17 » November 11th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Steve92 wrote:
TyBiggums17 wrote:This is a BG hypothetical. I'm from the Altoona area originally, so I'm familiar with the region this particular private school resides in. But HYPOTHETICALLY, BG could have a roster made up of mostly Altoona and Hollidaysburg kids, but they COULD also have talent from places like BA, Tyrone, Central, Penn Cambria, Williamsburg, and Claysburg. And those are just the districts around the Altoona metro area. It's tough to say how far a kid's parents would be willing to facilitate a commute. The problem with this is it's completely ok with the PIAA while they're competing against tiny class-A school districts in the playoffs that aren't allowed access to the same population to build a roster.

Hypothetically, you could make any argument you want, but if you want to claim that BG has players from the localities you listed, you should probably know what you're talking about.

Do you know what hypothetical means? Why do I get the feeling you don't?

TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Postby TyBiggums17 » November 11th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Note to self--some on this forum don't know the difference between casting accusations and talking about hypothetical scenarios. Even when I use HYPOTHETICAL in all caps. Lol

Return to “Football”