New PIAA Classification Ranges Posted

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Re: New PIAA Classification Ranges Posted

Postby Safetyblitz » November 17th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Except from 2006-2009 when McCort was winning their district titles Bishop Carroll was about what they are right now.

What was the reasoning for them to play up to AA from 06-09 then? I believe they dropped back down in2010. Beat BC regular season lost to them  in D6 championship. 

• Advertisement
SportsFan96
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby SportsFan96 » November 17th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:AAAAAA welcomes Altoona back to District 6

AAAAA is the same, 2 teams.

AAAA loses Somerset, but gains Juniata. Will have 6 teams total with the D9 teams.

AAA loses Forest Hills and Juniata, but gains Westmont and Somerset.  10 teams total

AA  loses Westmont, Bishop McCort  and gains Forest Hills and Bishop Carroll (supposedly) to stay at 12.

A loses Bishop Carroll, but gains Bishop McCort to stay at 19.

District 5 AA gains North Star and Meyersdale to go from 3 teams to 5, plus Westinghouse, so now it's 6

District 5 A loses Meyersdale and North Star to go from 7 teams to 5 teams.

I thought I read on the list that Westinghouse was now AAA?

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby upnorth » November 17th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Who is Saint Joe's co-oping with?

Grace Prep

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 17th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Safetyblitz wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Except from 2006-2009 when McCort was winning their district titles Bishop Carroll was about what they are right now.

What was the reasoning for them to play up to AA from 06-09 then? I believe they dropped back down in2010. Beat BC regular season lost to them  in D6 championship. 

Actually McCort dropped in 2008 to class A. I actually don't really recall playing "up" the years prior but apparently that was the case. 

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » November 17th, 2017, 6:50 pm

SportsFan96 wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:AAAAAA welcomes Altoona back to District 6

AAAAA is the same, 2 teams.

AAAA loses Somerset, but gains Juniata. Will have 6 teams total with the D9 teams.

AAA loses Forest Hills and Juniata, but gains Westmont and Somerset.  10 teams total

AA  loses Westmont, Bishop McCort  and gains Forest Hills and Bishop Carroll (supposedly) to stay at 12.

A loses Bishop Carroll, but gains Bishop McCort to stay at 19.

District 5 AA gains North Star and Meyersdale to go from 3 teams to 5, plus Westinghouse, so now it's 6

District 5 A loses Meyersdale and North Star to go from 7 teams to 5 teams.

I thought I read on the list that Westinghouse was now AAA?

Yeah they are, my mistake. 

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » November 18th, 2017, 8:40 am

12HankQB wrote:I don't think it matters what they're doing. They should still play up irregardless.

There are also disadvantages for small private schools, tuition, transportation,dress codes( teenage kids hate them),.Public schools have a geographic area they know they will receive there steady flow of athletes from year in year out. Private schools loose numbers all the time for financial and personal reasons. A family has to make a large commitment to send a child to a private school. 
  If there where not disadvantages wouldn't all private schools numbers be AAAA instead of on the decline?
 Once again you have to have a reason to send your child to a private school be it faith based ,academic , small class size,  it's not for everyone so there are hurdles for these athletic powerhouses in our area BC,st. Joes, elk county catholic, Dubois catholic,BM,BG. Which have a combined football record this year of 26-26. One of the schools does not participate in football. 

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » November 18th, 2017, 9:22 am

sportsfan1000 wrote:
odoyelrules wrote:Forest Hills moves from the largest D6 AAA school to the largest D6 AA school in a 2 year period.  From 243 to 198.

So glad they just spent $40+ million on a new school for a dwindling student population!

Point of order for clarification, it was -50- mil.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » November 18th, 2017, 9:26 am

CCDevil2012 wrote:
youngbuck wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:Anyone familiar with the program know if they will elect to stay in AAA? Or if BG will elect to be AA?

Why would FH play up? They will play by their classification just like everyone else in the district.  

Maybe because they elect to play up in basketball? Don't gotta be ignorant about it. And if BG elects to play up in AA I surely wouldn't want to play them every year if I didn't have to

FH boys and girls hoops & playing ^^^ is by mandate, not choice.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 12HankQB » November 18th, 2017, 9:58 am

Safetyblitz wrote:
12HankQB wrote:I don't think it matters what they're doing. They should still play up irregardless.

There are also disadvantages for small private schools, tuition, transportation,dress codes( teenage kids hate them),.Public schools have a geographic area they know they will receive there steady flow of athletes from year in year out. Private schools loose numbers all the time for financial and personal reasons. A family has to make a large commitment to send a child to a private school. 
  If there where not disadvantages wouldn't all private schools numbers be AAAA instead of on the decline?
 Once again you have to have a reason to send your child to a private school be it faith based ,academic , small class size,  it's not for everyone so there are hurdles for these athletic powerhouses in our area BC,st. Joes, elk county catholic, Dubois catholic,BM,BG. Which have a combined football record this year of 26-26. One of the schools does not participate in football. 

Yes we all know they either struggle or do really well. The schools are about quality not quantity. Yes, they would love to have the cash flow from as many students as they can, but they have a higher quality of student/athletes. If they play up one class, they shouldn't have a problem in playoffs. If they can barely field a team, they won't make playoffs and it's a non-issue. As I've said before, no matter what classification they are they're still in their same conference schedule. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths

Boomer58
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Boomer58 » November 18th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Serious question (because I’m not familiar enough with co-op numbers and their impact on overall enrollment):  with the new enrollment classifications in wrestling, Westmont is dangerously close to AAA.  IF McCort was still aligned with them, would that have been enough to bump them to AAA?  And....since next year the 3 McCort seniors and the boy from Ferndale all would have graduated- isn’t this beneficial to Westmont to not have these additional numbers and not be bumped to the larger school classification?

Return to “Football”