What will be left...

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: What will be left...

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 2nd, 2017, 10:08 am

There was no justifying, those are just simple numbers pulled from the PIAA Website. Southern Columbia, Steel-High, and Clairton have dominated small school football way more than Bishop Guilfoyle, Bishop McCort, and Bishop Carroll has.

So what does that tell us? Probably nothing.

It could tell us the private school fear mongering is overblown to an extent.
It could tell us perhaps certain public schools recruit also.
It could tell us there are just good football programs.
It could tell us absolutely nothing.

But those are just the raw numbers of the matter.

• Advertisement
Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Jjones » December 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am

Being that there are probably a lot more public schools than private in pa those numbers could be relatively high. Basketball and other sports also need to be taken into consideration. I really have nothing against private schools I just think there needs to be more consistent rules for all schools competing in the same system, that’s what most people disagree with. Any time you allow one group of people to do something but don’t allow it for the other people will always complain.

Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Crimson's Ghost » December 2nd, 2017, 10:49 am

I think they should probably just go to a multiplier system for private schools which would move certain schools up a class and balance it a little more.

I think the private school paranoia is over the top, but I also get why it upsets people.

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » December 2nd, 2017, 10:54 am

Multiplier would be a perfect solution. 2x or 2.5x would at least provide a small means to balance the issue.

Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Jjones » December 2nd, 2017, 11:38 am

I agree with you guys... I know people take it out on them but at the same time they can only go with the rules they are under too

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 2nd, 2017, 11:47 am

Not a multiplier fan. As was mentioned, many public schools dominant for whatever reasons. I like rule that states you must play up classifications based on sustained success. For example, BG should move up not bc they are a private school, but bc they should be playing better competition.

Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Jjones » December 2nd, 2017, 11:58 am

They couldn’t win it at A this year so why should they move to AA? People will always tend to take the path of least resistance

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 2nd, 2017, 12:16 pm

Jjones wrote:They couldn’t win it at A this year so why should they move to AA? People will always tend to take the path of least resistance

They have one loss in how many games?  I think they’d be just fine in 2A.  There are many other schools, private and public, that if you want a real competitive balance should move up for sustained success.  Just make the formula and make it a rule.  A school could go down as well should circumstances change.  

Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Jjones » December 2nd, 2017, 12:52 pm

Wishful thinking man but not gonna happen

Boomer58
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Boomer58 » December 2nd, 2017, 1:37 pm

Jjones wrote:Let’s not forget about those McCort and Carroll runs and that’s only speaking for D6. They may have not won but they have been there multiple times. And competitively balanced? So you’re saying that a team like HC will make a state final appearance 2 -3 years in a row? A public school is lucky to make it to their district championship that many consecutive times and I do not consider SC a typical public school. Participation trophies would be nice but it would be a lot nicer if public’s could have open enrollment boarders.

I’m new to this forum, and based on the constant rehashing of an issue that isn’t going to be resolved by any of us, I will not be participating on this site much longer. It’s ridiculous. You don’t like Catholic schools....ok, we get it, move on. Some of you just don’t like Catholics...whatever, that’s a “you” problem, move on. 
Now one more thing that you all seem to forget...public schools do have “open borders.”  You can pay the cost of education to attend public schools if you reside in another district.  When my kids were younger, we looked into it...if you want to go to Westmont, good, pay the tuition and shut up. It’s kinda the same thing families at private schools do, huh?  Problem is it’s cost prohibitive and nobody wants to do it.  In fact, Johnstown passed a rule (that just happened to coincide with the hiring of a coach hired away from a private school... who had two athletic boys) that even if you lived in another school district, as long as you were employed by the district you could send your kids to Johnstown at no charge.  Gee, that doesn’t sound like recruiting, or open borders at all, does it?  
If you are thinking about public/private school unbalance and inequities more than 2 seconds a day, you are wasting your time and doing nothing but stirring up emotions and controversy where none belong. People send their children to schools that are different from yours....get over it. And before you throw out the next favorite defense of the ill-informed, mainly that private schools should have their own championships, remember this...if they aren’t governed by the same rules that public’s are, then you are REALLY going to see some recruiting..and if that happens, what are you going to do when a larger portion of athletes go to privates?  Before you start complaining and offering hare-brain solutions, realize there are consequences much larger, than what you can conceive of.  So for the love of God, forget about this and move on....root for your school and let others do the same. 

Return to “Football”