Why isn't anyone talking about

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
stangin80
Junior
Junior

Re: Why isn't anyone talking about

Postby stangin80 » December 3rd, 2017, 11:13 pm

youngbuck wrote:The fact that Homer Center s leading tackler was a senior transfer?  I thought everyone was against playing your entire career at one school and then transferring somewhere else?  

:ymapplause: You just can’t help yourself.? And just think Portage gave the state finalist a run for their money with only one insignificant transfer this year.  GO WILDCATS! 

• Advertisement
TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Postby TyBiggums17 » December 4th, 2017, 12:52 am

People need to remember that, as far as the PIAA is concerned, a kid can transfer to a public school as long as their parents uproot their family and physically move to said district. I know there have been kids who moved in with a relative to get around their family moving, but the PIAA would deem the kid ineligible if they found that out because they'd assume it was solely for athletics. But none of that is necessary if he wants to commute to a private school. There's no way for us to know if this kid's family physically moved into Homer Center school district, but the inequality in the system declares that is mandatory. 

Safetyblitz
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Safetyblitz » December 4th, 2017, 5:52 am

TyBiggums17 wrote:People need to remember that, as far as the PIAA is concerned, a kid can transfer to a public school as long as their parents uproot their family and physically move to said district. I know there have been kids who moved in with a relative to get around their family moving, but the PIAA would deem the kid ineligible if they found that out because they'd assume it was solely for athletics. But none of that is necessary if he wants to commute to a private school. There's no way for us to know if this kid's family physically moved into Homer Center school district, but the inequality in the system declares that is mandatory. 

No it is not mandatory!! He can pay to go homer the same as a private school!

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 4th, 2017, 6:50 am

TyBiggums17 wrote:People need to remember that, as far as the PIAA is concerned, a kid can transfer to a public school as long as their parents uproot their family and physically move to said district. I know there have been kids who moved in with a relative to get around their family moving, but the PIAA would deem the kid ineligible if they found that out because they'd assume it was solely for athletics. But none of that is necessary if he wants to commute to a private school. There's no way for us to know if this kid's family physically moved into Homer Center school district, but the inequality in the system declares that is mandatory. 

This is not true at all.  Athletic intent is athletic intent regardless of change of address.  There was a quarterback ruled ineligible this season by the WPIAL due to athletic intent even though his family moved to the Neshannock school district.  Not sure why people think transfers to private school are never ruled ineligible, I’ve seen many examples.  Take a look at the Vincentian Academy situation this year where kids were practically cheated out of a year of football.  Another thing many overlook, if school administration signs off on the transfer and does not challenge for athletic intent then it never gets evaluated, period.  

GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby GoldenRamsFAN » December 4th, 2017, 7:22 am

What’s weird about that is Vincentian doesn’t field a football team.

And in years past they were bad. Kids aren’t going there to play football. They go there to play basketball.
Last edited by GoldenRamsFAN on December 4th, 2017, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

theprophet
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby theprophet » December 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

This is America, home of the free.  I have no problem with a family choosing to transfer no matter what the reason.  Snowflakes stop crying lol

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 4th, 2017, 8:45 am

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:What’s weird about that is Vincentian doesn’t field a football team.

And in years past they were bad. Kids aren’t going there to play football. They go there to play basketball.

Vincentian told their kids and families they would have football and then canceled at the last second.  Kids tried to transfer out back to public schools and some other private, but Vincentian challenged all of their transfers for athletic intent.  It was hard to deny that it was athletic intent so they were all ruled ineligible.  Awful situation and what happens when all of us get so caught up in sports and not what really matters, the kids.  

Jjones
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Jjones » December 4th, 2017, 8:59 am

What is the eligibility wait time for someone who transfers in during the school year at a public school? Do they have to sit out a year before they can play? How about if they transfer into a private? I think they can be cleared to play at a piaa meeting? Also are schools allowed to give vouchers or scholarships to students? Again these are all questions

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 4th, 2017, 9:04 am

Jjones wrote:What is the eligibility wait time for someone who transfers in during the school year at a public school? Do they have to sit out a year before they can play? How about if they transfer into a private? I think they can be cleared to play at a piaa meeting? Also are schools allowed to give vouchers or scholarships to students? Again these are all questions

It’s all based on the whole athletic intent thing from my understanding.  I believe it’s also on a sport by sport basis.  I’m also pretty certain there is a time period before a season begins that you must be enrolled in order to participate.  The rules for public and private are the same.  No vouchers or scholarships in PA.  A private school can give a “scholarship” but it’s pretty much just money alumni want to donate to help cover a student(s) tuition.  

lilIndian91
Freshman
Freshman

Postby lilIndian91 » December 4th, 2017, 9:30 am

youngbuck wrote:The fact that Homer Center s leading tackler was a senior transfer?  I thought everyone was against playing your entire career at one school and then transferring somewhere else?  

Looking at his stats I guess you mean Dakota Sunday? I wasn't aware he was a transfer. Where did he come from?

Return to “Football”