AAAAA Final: Gateway vs Archbishop Wood

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: AAAAA Final: Gateway vs Archbishop Wood

Postby deepcreek » December 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Since Philly Catholic league entered in 2008 WPIAL has been secondary.  Take away the small schools (which are overloaded to western side) and they are average.  WPIAL football is overrated.

Numbers

4 classifications from 2008 - 2015  (32 championships)
WPIAL won 10 (10/32).   Above A, there were 24 championships, WPIAL won 5 (5/24). 

6 classes WPIAL is (5 of 12), Above AA, (2 of 8).

But, I'll give Pine-Richland their due.   Great team, and not an all-star collection from Philly.  

Last edited by deepcreek on December 10th, 2017, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 10th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Ok... WPIAL over rated. Got ya! You’re out of your mind. Those “Philly All Star” teams won 1 of 6 championships this year. Just because Gateway couldn’t stop archbishop wood doesn’t mean everyone sucks.

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » December 10th, 2017, 2:11 pm

I did not say they suck.  WPIAL is a good region, but the WPIAL arrogance is unfounded.  God did not denote Pittsburgh as the epicenter of the football world.

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 10th, 2017, 2:24 pm

deepcreek wrote:I did not say they suck.  WPIAL is a good region, but the WPIAL arrogance is unfounded.  God did not denote Pittsburgh as the epicenter of the football world.

So this is more about jelousy?  Ask Homer how “over rated” the WPIAL is.  

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » December 10th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Yeah, you got me. Merry Christmas

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » December 10th, 2017, 3:40 pm

The legitimate point hw is trying to make is the Wpial isnt the end all be all in PA anymore for bigger level schools. While they do tend to dominate A and AA more than everyone else its no where near as bad as it was last decade

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 10th, 2017, 3:53 pm

I don’t disagree but I’d also say the move to 6 classifications is just working. They wanted more Champs and more diversity and that is what we have. To say the WPIAL is over rated with the number of championships and number of top tier recruits coming out every year is rediculous. I also get annoyed with the whole “philly all stars” garbage. Just more public/private crying over spilled milk. We had 4 public school Champs this year.

Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Wrasslerfan » December 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm

well spoken cmm52
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable

deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby deepcreek » December 10th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Just look at the numbers since 2008 in larger classifications.  Outside of North All form WPIAL ,Philly Catholic league has dominated.  If not them, then another catholic/private.   LaSalle College, St Joes, Erie Catherdral, Archbishop Wood, Bishop McDevitt, Imhotep have dominated the larger classifications.  Pine Richland win was an oddity in the same way Seton LaSalle beating Imhotep a few years ago.   6 classifications did give the ability for some of these schools to spread out, otherwise we may have had an St Joe vs Erie Prep final this year in the old AAAA.

The WPIAL has shown that it is not the highest brand of football in the state and the Philly Catholic league takes the "open enrollment"policy to new levels.   You can say everyone just needs to get better, but in the end teams can just pop up like neumann goretti did this year.  

So, keep your head firmly in the sand and keep drinking the WPIAL koolaid.   

CMM52
Junior
Junior

Postby CMM52 » December 10th, 2017, 6:51 pm

deepcreek wrote:Just look at the numbers since 2008 in larger classifications.  Outside of North All form WPIAL ,Philly Catholic league has dominated.  If not them, then another catholic/private.   LaSalle College, St Joes, Erie Catherdral, Archbishop Wood, Bishop McDevitt, Imhotep have dominated the larger classifications.  Pine Richland win was an oddity in the same way Seton LaSalle beating Imhotep a few years ago.   6 classifications did give the ability for some of these schools to spread out, otherwise we may have had an St Joe vs Erie Prep final this year in the old AAAA.

The WPIAL has shown that it is not the highest brand of football in the state and the Philly Catholic league takes the "open enrollment"policy to new levels.   You can say everyone just needs to get better, but in the end teams can just pop up like neumann goretti did this year.  

So, keep your head firmly in the sand and keep drinking the WPIAL koolaid.

You can't look at anything but the past 2 years because 6 classifications changed everything!  I've said that countless times in idk how many threads on here.  You can't compare 4 classifications to 6.  Teams are reshuffled and stuff has changed.  The WPIAL will literally only have 9 teams the next two years in 6A.  Only has like 14 now.  Of course the bigger schools are going to be better.  Just as Western PA is littered with more small schools, Eastern PA has far more big schools.  It's odds dude.  Even with that, let's look at the past two years which is most recent and relevant

A- 2016: Clairton Runner Up/ 2017: Jeanette Champ
AA- 2016: Steel Valley Champ/ 2017: Not Represented in Finals
AAA- 2016: Beaver Falls Champ/ 2017: Quaker Valley Champ
AAAA- Lots of Catholic (I'll give them one), but Cathedral Prep is Erie, not Philly
AAAAA- 2016: Not Represented/ 2017: Gateway Runner Up
AAAAAA- 2016: Central Catholic Runner Up/ 2017: Pine Richland Champ

12 total championship games, the WPIAL won or was represented in 8 of them.  Not sure how that is "over rated".  

I'm not sure your point with Philly to be honest.  With 8 of the 12 games having WPIAL teams represented and 5 championships I'd think you'd be more upset that the WPIAL all starts are cleaning up.  Not to mention the number of division one athletes.  Pine has 2 going to ND alone.  The 6 classifications clearly show that in FOOTBALL there is not public/private problem and yes, the WPIAL is still superior.  

Return to “Football”