Saltsburg forfeit

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Saltsburg forfeit

Postby MrAnonymous » September 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm

This isn’t an issue because they are forfeiting a game. I get why they don’t want to play. The issue is how they went about it without giving LV a chance to pick up a game and the fact that they are not playing the game due to how good LV is, not the size of the school. That isn’t right to do to the players of either team. If it was a AA, A issue then why did they play MC?

• Advertisement
MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby MrAnonymous » September 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

knowitall wrote:What really does Ligonier Valley lose by not getting the chance to beat up on Saltsburg Friday night?  Ligonier Valley played fourteen games last year and will likely play eleven or more this year.  They'll get over not being able to hang 70 on a hapless Saltsburg team.  The real losers are those few fans who will struggle to find something better to do on Friday night.

Mapletown played Avella in week one, forfeited to Clairton in week two and lost to Jefferson-Morgan in week three.

Did you never play football in your life!? Is this a serious question!? The players from LV should be furious about this. Wow...how about the players losing an entire game from their season, especially the seniors, majority of whom will never play again after the season. How about the opportunity for young guys to get in and get game experience. Good for Mapeltown, again with an irrelevant point. 

RamFan1
Freshman
Freshman

Postby RamFan1 » September 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm

knowitall wrote:What did Saltsburg steal from Ligonier Valley?

- lost gate revenue, which pays for all other sports at LV
- lost concessions revenues, which is the band's biggest source of funding, not to mention their performance and their families' enjoyment of it
- lost cheer fundraising revenues and the opportunity to perform
- lost 50/50, spirit wear, program sales, and other fundraisers that the football boosters relies on.  Fans who purchased pre-sale 50/50 season tickets also lose out on another chance to win.  Businesses that purchased ads in the program or during the game lose out.  
- lost wages for all game workers, ranging from announcer, clock operator, stick men, ticket booth operators, EMTs, police/security.  Also, the officials who were scheduled for this game will not be able to get a replacement and lose wages.
- lost revenues for local businesses who see a large uptick in pregame and postgame business, which is especially helpful to local restaurants in town who have been affected by the renovation of Diamond Park all spring & summer.
- most of all, the opportunity for a very talented LV team to perform in 1 of only 4 home games on this year's schedule.  There are players trying to put enough highlights on tape to get an opportunity to play college ball.  These kids have busted their rear ends all offseason and they, especially the seniors, have lost the opportunity to play in and enjoy what would have probably been a memorable home win.  How is that fair to them?  Fortunately, neither homecoming or senior night was scheduled...but what if it was?  What if the game was a themed game, such as a Service Night game, where other financial investments or arrangements had been made?
How fair is this to West Shamokin, who LV now has a bye week to prepare for next week?
None of the points made are good for anyone except Saltsburg, this week.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 11th, 2018, 12:58 pm

No one thinks it was a AA/A issue.  They played MC because MC wasn't that good and they had more players available for that game.  When you start a season with 19 boys and lose a few you make decisions like this.  Play and lose a few more players and then not be able to finish the season or wave the white flag and regroup for next week?  I've seen both scenarios in the recent past.  Rockwood started a season and ultimately and early on decided it couldn't continue.  Ferndale started a season, selectively forfeited games and completed its season.  No one was harmed by having an open week in the process.

I do agree that the PIAA needs to step in and declare a minimum number of legitimate players each team has before it can field a team.  I personally would go with 22, all of whom must be in tenth grade or higher.  I am not happy with ninth graders being on varsity rosters and teams with 19 kids, four or five of whom are in ninth grade probably should not be able to compete.

Where does one go to pick up a game in week four and at what cost?  Enjoy your bye week.

MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby MrAnonymous » September 11th, 2018, 12:59 pm

knowitall wrote:What really does Ligonier Valley lose by not getting the chance to beat up on Saltsburg Friday night?  Ligonier Valley played fourteen games last year and will likely play eleven or more this year.  They'll get over not being able to hang 70 on a hapless Saltsburg team.  The real losers are those few fans who will struggle to find something better to do on Friday night.

Mapletown played Avella in week one, forfeited to Clairton in week two and lost to Jefferson-Morgan in week three.

Did you never play football in your life!? Is this a serious question!? The players from LV should be furious about this and the Saltsburg players should be even more upset. Wow...how about the players losing an entire game from their season, especially the seniors, majority of whom will never play again after the season. How about the opportunity for young guys to get in and get game experience. This has nothing to do with fans having something to do on a Friday night or final records Good for Mapeltown, again with an irrelevant point. How does that situation apply here and why does that make it right? Saltsburg should have done this before the season so both teams could look for games to pick up. Instead they waiting to see what kind of team LV would have then decided to forfeit the week of. 

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 11th, 2018, 1:01 pm

MrAnonymous wrote:

Did you never play football in your life!? Is this a serious question!? The players from LV should be furious about this. Wow...how about the players losing an entire game from their season, especially the seniors, majority of whom will never play again after the season. How about the opportunity for young guys to get in and get game experience. Good for Mapeltown, again with an irrelevant point. 

oh boo hoo hoo.  Again, Ligonier Valley played 14 games last year.  They will play ten or more this year.  Most teams only get to play ten.  I would rather not play a team if I knew I was going to win by 70 before kickoff.  What are you going to do on Friday night now?

MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby MrAnonymous » September 11th, 2018, 1:11 pm

knowitall wrote:
MrAnonymous wrote:

oh boo hoo hoo.  Again, Ligonier Valley played 14 games last year.  They will play ten or more this year.  Most teams only get to play ten.  I would rather not play a team if I knew I was going to win by 70 before kickoff.  What are you going to do on Friday night now?

Haha yeah boo hoo to the kids who get screwed over. No big deal though because they’ll make the playoffs so who cares right? You would rather not play if you knew you were going to win by a lot....you definitely answered my previous question about having Never played football. By the way they get to play all of those extra games because over the past few seasons the young guys get a ton of playing experience in blowout games. That’s why they’re a top team in the state again this year. You should stick to a topic you know something about. 

Colonel Mustard
Senior
Senior

Postby Colonel Mustard » September 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm

If LVs coach wasn't such an a-hole, I'm sure that Saltsburg would have been more considerate and let them know sooner. But if you run fake punts when you are up 40, well then this is what you get.

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » September 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm

knowitall wrote:No one thinks it was a AA/A issue.  They played MC because MC wasn't that good and they had more players available for that game.  When you start a season with 19 boys and lose a few you make decisions like this.  Play and lose a few more players and then not be able to finish the season or wave the white flag and regroup for next week?  I've seen both scenarios in the recent past.  Rockwood started a season and ultimately and early on decided it couldn't continue.  Ferndale started a season, selectively forfeited games and completed its season.  No one was harmed by having an open week in the process.

I do agree that the PIAA needs to step in and declare a minimum number of legitimate players each team has before it can field a team.  I personally would go with 22, all of whom must be in tenth grade or higher.  I am not happy with ninth graders being on varsity rosters and teams with 19 kids, four or five of whom are in ninth grade probably should not be able to compete.

Where does one go to pick up a game in week four and at what cost?  Enjoy your bye week.

It made absolutely no difference when this game was scheduled.  If it was scheduled for the first game of the year Saltsburg wasn't playing the game. Argue any other point you want to make wrongly, but it had nothing to do with them losing a few from their 19.  

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm

So what are you doing Friday night?

And no, that's not why they play all those extra games and it's not why they are a top team in the state.  You know nothing about nothing.

Return to “Football”