Saltsburg forfeit

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
RamFan1
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Saltsburg forfeit

Postby RamFan1 » September 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Saltsburg has a nice weight room.  In fact, many teams in the conference have nicer weight rooms than LV.

I bet you LV is still the strongest.  And that has nothing to do with their enrollment...those kids have to be kicked out of that weight room all offseason.

• Advertisement
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby tubmill » September 12th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Who said anything about when anyone quit the LHAC? The size of the booster club has nothing to do with the success of the booster club, Again, Laurel Valley was the smallest school in the Heritage and the Appalachian. Our booster club had maybe 10 active members, yet we were able to provide all athletic programs with the extras to become successful. We bought weights, paid for camps, gave out scholarships and generally tried to give the coaches what they needed. I know, as I was the LV Booster President for eleven years. Despite being so small, LV’s  football team only  had five losing seasons over their last 35 years of existence. Never did they cry about their disadvantage of being so small. You can’t even discuss the per capita income of Saltsburg. They are lumped in with Blairsville where there are some pretty wealthy people. Furthermore, the LVSD Board of education operates on the cheap, when it comes to athletics. Have you checked out Weller Field? I know how the board pinches pennies when it comes to athletics. I am a former LVSD board member. The Ligonier Valley YMCA has diddly squat to have anything to do with the football team. There is an adequate weight room at the high school. The Heritage Conference is not going to expel LV. Whereas, Saltsburg has been given three options. The ball is in their court.
Last edited by tubmill on September 13th, 2018, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 12th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Not knowing what those three options are I won’t speculate.  The writing is clearly on the wall though.  How many seniors do they have?  How many eighth graders are on its junior high team?

When Rockwood forfeited games and ultimately cancelled its season I believe the West PAC shut its team down for the following year as well.  Rockwood hasn’t fielded a team since.

This problem exists in all small school conferences including the WPIAL.  The PIAA needs to take action.

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Aiks19 » September 12th, 2018, 7:24 pm

How far is Saltsburg HS from Blairsville? I'm just wondering why such a small school district would have two single a sized schools .

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 12th, 2018, 7:54 pm

About 15 Miles. It looks like the quickest route goes right through Derry Area School District.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » September 12th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Derry is in the WRONG direction. Blairsville is at the intersections of 22, 217, & 119. Take 22 west to New Alex, turn right and go north on 981 about 5-6 miles turn right across the bridge and you're in Saltsburg. Take 286 east towards Indiana and you pass the school.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby knowitall » September 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm

22 crosses into Westmoreland County and Derry Township once you cross the Conemaugh River.  New Alexandria kids go to Derry.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » September 12th, 2018, 8:25 pm

knowitall wrote:22 crosses into Westmoreland County and Derry Township once you cross the Conemaugh River.  New Alexandria kids go to Derry.

dbl. post- edit
Last edited by Manfred on September 12th, 2018, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Manfred » September 12th, 2018, 8:27 pm

knowitall wrote:22 crosses into Westmoreland County and Derry Township once you cross the Conemaugh River.  New Alexandria kids go to Derry.

OK after re-reading your post, which could have been a smidge clearer regarding what districts run where, you are right, that 22-981-286 is the best way to go.  But the TOWN of Derry, and their school, is in the opposite direction.  It's a MUCH bigger district and covers a LOT more geography.  The only other ways over to 286 east of Saltsburg where the school is involves secondary or tertiary roads to Jacksonville.  

RamFan1
Freshman
Freshman

Postby RamFan1 » September 12th, 2018, 9:47 pm

From Blairsville HS to Saltsburg HS, the distance is 17.7 miles, or a 25-minute drive.

Laurel Valley HS to Ligonier Valley HS? Distance of 12.4 miles, or a 20-minute drive.

That doesn't tell the whole story, as LV is a very vertical district in terms of mapping. It would depend completely on the district. I'm sure some kids on the western boundary of Blairsville are just as close to Saltsburg HS. And the B-S SD covers less ground altogether (with 2 high schools) than United, Marion Center, and LV do with their 1.

Again, it's time they combine. Then (using the usual logic around here) they can have the numbers to become a powerhouse football program.

Return to “Football”