Playoff Rankings - Week 6

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Playoff Rankings - Week 6

Postby Birda » October 5th, 2018, 11:43 pm

EnzoLigoniere wrote:So Salzburg can forfeit a game, but they're still going to make the playoffs, single-a is an absolute joke,
What difference does it make? Loss is a loss if it's played or forfeited.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Advertisement
EnzoLigoniere
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Playoff Rankings - Week 6

Postby EnzoLigoniere » October 6th, 2018, 1:34 am

Saltsburg didn't lose to LV, they chose not to play.  But they could get into the playoffs?  If you are a potential playoff team how do you justify forfeiting games?

Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby Birda » October 6th, 2018, 9:42 am

EnzoLigoniere wrote:Saltsburg didn't lose to LV, they chose not to play.  But they could get into the playoffs?  If you are a potential playoff team how do you justify forfeiting games?
It is a loss, as reflected by their 2-4 record. There's absolutely no difference than if they played and lost 63-0, as far as rankings are concerned.

And it didn't have any impact on LV's ranking because they will always be behind comparable record teams that actually play teams their own size or bigger.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » October 6th, 2018, 1:09 pm

I see your point Birda but I also agree with Enzo that the fact a team that’s forfeiting regular season games is in the mix for a playoff spot is crazy. 12 team field is ridiculous in my opinion. At this point every first round game in 1A would feature a team with a losing record and possibly 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Aiks19 » October 6th, 2018, 1:27 pm

On number of playoff teams. Single and double have far too many teams. On forfeits. I think there needs to be some sort of punishment. It wasn’t like their bus broke down or something tragic happened at school. This was a team that couldn’t dress enough players . Because they didn’t have enough to start . Or was it a team that just didn’t feel like losing by 70?

Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby Birda » October 6th, 2018, 2:31 pm

DragonsDoExist wrote:I see your point Birda but I also agree with Enzo that the fact a team that’s forfeiting regular season games is in the mix for a playoff spot is crazy. 12 team field is ridiculous in my opinion. At this point every first round game in 1A would feature a team with a losing record and possibly 2.

A could even have 16. But the only real solution is for the PIAA to dissolve the districts and align based on size. Unless D6 tells the league they don't need four weeks and give some of their spots to more competitive districts.

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Aiks19 » October 6th, 2018, 2:45 pm

PIAA should align districts by sport and by class. District 6 has 3 6-A teams and 2 5-A. Align these teams somewhere else. There are 11 2a schools in 6 and 3 in D5? Why not just make one district with 14? Their setup is absolutely idiotic.

Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby Birda » October 6th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Or shorten playoffs by a week. Made no sense to go up in classes and not down in time

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby DragonsDoExist » October 6th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Tonight we get the top seed in 1A BG going up against the top seed in 2A Richland. Next week we get the same in 3A and 4A. Should be a couple good ones. I’ll take the bigger school in each.

You play to win the game!!!

FunFacts
Sophomore
Sophomore

Postby FunFacts » October 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Let me start be saying I’m not trying to get everyone a participation trophy. But whether you have 2 different “district champs” meeting in the state quarterfinals to go to the semis or have those 2 districts combined and that district winner automatically make it to the state semifinal regardless most likely the same team will get there.  Do I think a district championship means less than it did when we had 4 classifications? Yes without a doubt but to that kid that wins it and gets to celebrate with his teammates and family it doesn’t.  It’s not like we are rewarding a team that loses. They were the best team in their district at their classification. Let them celebrate. Let them have that memory. It isn’t hurting anyone else and the same 2 teams no matter how the districts were aligned will still be battling it out for the state championship most likely.

Return to “Football”