Field Conditions

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Field Conditions

Postby 223113 » October 10th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Understood.

And thus, "on any given night..."

Field conditions are just 1 variable (if only it hadn't rained), as are injuries (if only Johnny hadn't torn his ACL), and turnovers (if only we hadn't fumbled 4 times), etc.

Some teams Do deal with adversity, and changing conditions, better than other teams. That starts with the example the Coach sets. Is it, "woe is us", or, "let's find a way."?
Try to neutralize it, or turn it into an advantage.

Life isn't always "a dry, fast field". And, just because you're better, in those conditions, doesn't mean it's unfair when it's Not those conditions.

I say again, you play the hand you're dealt.

• Advertisement
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby tubmill » October 10th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Ligonier Valley’s Weller Field is always one of the worst.The Ligonier folks typically hit the Mellon’s up, to finance community projects. The school district has done the same in the past. In 1968, the Mellon’s paid for 250 band uniforms. At the present time, the Ligonier Diamond Park renovation has been primarily financed by private foundations. The three and a half million dollar project received two huge grants from the Richard K. Mellon foundation. I am certain that the establishment of the Ligonier Valley Library and the recent renovation and addition received big sums of money from the Mellons. The same goes for the establishment of the Ligonier Valley YMCA and it’s recent addition. The Mellons hold the Ligonier Valley close to their hearts. I would not be afraid to say that the Ligonier Valley has more money millionaires than any area in District 6. Kevin McClatchey, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates and one of the heirs to the Hearst fortune, makes his home in the valley. Some Hunt family members live in the valley. Capt. Alfred E. Hunt founded Alcoa in 1888. His descendants hold significant amounts of Alcoa stock. The Robertshaw family, of Robertshaw Controls Company live in the valley. Heck John and Kitty Goodish live right across the road from me, John is the retired CEO of USX and now raises Limosine cattle. It is the fanciest farm I have ever seen. His mansion sits in a little hollow, so it can’t be seen. These people are just scratching the surface. It should be noted that for the most part, they are all philanthropists. LV’s field is a dump.  It only that, there are no bleachers on the visitor’s side. The press box sucks. The school board poor mouths all of the time. Why in the world they don’t go to the Mellon’s or Scaifes to ask for financing of field turf, new bleachers, a new press box and new score board, is beyond me. Instead Weller field continues to be an embarrassment!

Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 223113 » October 11th, 2018, 8:25 am

I've only been to Weller Field once, in 2012.
I hope to not return, for only 1 reason.

Bleachers only on the Home side of the field....
Having Home/Visitor fans intermingled during the game,...not a knee-slapping good time.

Fans yell stuff about the other team at Every game.
But, if you're sitting on the Other Side of the field, you rarely, if ever, hear it.
Unlike when you're sitting 6' from a whining, yapping loudmouth, who's team "never" commits a penalty....and those 4 interceptions are part of some conspiracy between the Refs, and the Visitors.....oye veh....

I prayed for patience that night, and held my tongue.

The other stuff you mentioned, tubmill, I have no problem with. It is a typical grass field, and truth be told, I prefer that playing surface.

Press box? Looked adequate to me, for a high school field.

New scoreboard? The one I saw, had a clock, quarters, scores for both teams. Again, adequate for high school. Don't need a megatron screen.

One thing I might put on the "wish list". A set of 24 second Play clocks, one behind each end zone (unless they've already added those in the past 6 years), so that the QB doesn't have to find/watch the Ref in the secondary, to see when he puts his hand up to signal 5 seconds left.

Bottom line: all Weller Field REALLY needs, is a modest set of bleachers on the Visitor's side.

tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby tubmill » October 11th, 2018, 10:57 am

The field is a quagmire, with very little rain. Radio broadcasters frequently complain about the press box. Have you ever been to Richland’s field? Have you ever been to the BA field? A benevolent rich man made the Blue Devil’s field into the top notch field that it is today. With all of the rich philanthropists in our valley, why not petition them to finance improvements to Wheeler Field. I would love to to see a top notch facility in our community.

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » October 11th, 2018, 11:58 am

223113 wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:
223113 wrote:Something interesting I've noticed, over the years:

A lot of teams that play on a muddy field, and lose,....can't grasp the reality that, the team that won,...played on the same field.
Odd how that works out.

This is true.......to an extent. I think it largely depends on the strengths of each team. If a team who relies on speed, backs who can cut, quick passes, spread type offenses will not be as efficient as a team that runs 60 times a game. The speedy team may be the better team but will not play as on a sloppy field. But, it should never be an excuse for losing, you just can't ignore that it may change the game in some way. 

So, maybe field conditions can expose which team can overcome unexpected adversity better. And, maybe it exposes the "one trick pony", so to speak.
Ya gotta play the hand you're dealt.

How is a team that only runs up the middle any less of a one trick pony than a team that lives on the edge? 

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby konjo78 » October 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Tubmill I may be wrong but I heard a rumor that at one point someone was going go donate money go Ligonier to give them a new field that was would be top notch. This was years ago but Ligonier school district denied that idea, have 0 idea if true or not.

I will give a huge shoutout to Penns Manors boosters for doing a whole lot to improve what i thought was one of the best fields in the heritage already. Cant belief how their home looks more like a 6A schools field than just a small A school

tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby tubmill » October 11th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Konjo, I  don’t know? I do know that Weller field is one of the worst facilities in the Heritage conference. They rank at the bottom, along with Saltsburg and maybe NC. THe Colt’s field doesn’t drain well.

tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby tubmill » October 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Penns Manor’s field is top notch!

Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby 223113 » October 11th, 2018, 3:29 pm

CCDevil2012 wrote:
223113 wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:This is true.......to an extent. I think it largely depends on the strengths of each team. If a team who relies on speed, backs who can cut, quick passes, spread type offenses will not be as efficient as a team that runs 60 times a game. The speedy team may be the better team but will not play as on a sloppy field. But, it should never be an excuse for losing, you just can't ignore that it may change the game in some way. 

So, maybe field conditions can expose which team can overcome unexpected adversity better. And, maybe it exposes the "one trick pony", so to speak.
Ya gotta play the hand you're dealt.

How is a team that only runs up the middle any less of a one trick pony than a team that lives on the edge? 

A team that only runs up the middle.
Does a team like that even exist nowadays?
Let's say one does.
They're either blessed with 5 stud linemen, all 6'2", 275#, and it doesn't matter what field they play on.
Or,...they've got your average 5'9", 165# linemen, and they spend Thursdays praying for rain on Fridays.
I wasn't saying the one trick pony is a team that Only runs up the middle.
I was saying, if a team only relies on speed in it's skill players, zigging, zagging, outrunning defenders, with poor ability to run between the Tackles, because good blocking technique isn't emphasized (coz it's not seen as important w/ those gifted skill players),...then they could be made to look like a 1 trick pony, on a muddy, slippery field.

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby CCDevil2012 » October 11th, 2018, 3:58 pm

223113 wrote:

A team that only runs up the middle.
Does a team like that even exist nowadays?
Let's say one does.
They're either blessed with 5 stud linemen, all 6'2", 275#, and it doesn't matter what field they play on.
Or,...they've got your average 5'9", 165# linemen, and they spend Thursdays praying for rain on Fridays.
I wasn't saying the one trick pony is a team that Only runs up the middle.
I was saying, if a team only relies on speed in it's skill players, zigging, zagging, outrunning defenders, with poor ability to run between the Tackles, because good blocking technique isn't emphasized (coz it's not seen as important w/ those gifted skill players),...then they could be made to look like a 1 trick pony, on a muddy, slippery field.

Only up the middle? No. But Westmont is probably between the tackles 95% of the time. 

Return to “Football”